Pete Plan Group - Startup Aug 20th thru 22nd

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
derico
500m Poster

Re: Pete Plan Group - Startup Aug 20th thru 22nd

Post by derico » August 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Hi I'm Derek and I just joined the forum today. Am contemplating the 12 week PPlan as a challenge and for the company of others doing the same. Managed a 7:08 2k and 18:40 5k 10 years ago when gymming every lunch time. Now more like 8:10 2k and 23:00 5k after rowing again in recent weeks in the gym.

Based in Wiltshire, UK and 55 yo/97kg/1.92m. Son rowing at Uni so plenty of encouragement for me to take on the challenge, especially after purchasing an erg earlier in the week - all good to go!
Derek Connor (age 59, height 1.92m, weight 98kg, PB 2k/7:08 5k/18:38)

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 18th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Headcount is currently 10 rowers including Lindsay Hay who will not start until mid-September; 8 signed in to Dean's spreadsht. If anyone here is a pencil chewer or prefers a hardcopy record, something similar to the calendar shown below will also work well for quick reference. I use mine in conjunction with digital photos of monitor results pages in a folder indexed to date and incline to Lazyboy, no transcription training reports. If you don't care for the tedium of copying in and out of photo hosting sites, DIgital Rowing's RowPro software combined with a snip tool or Concept 2's ErgData expanded results report in the current logbook are good reporting tools. I believe the smart phoners with blue teeth :lol: have similar tools which offer split pacing and graphing capabilities. I guess most of us have noticed that Dean includes a reference copy of Pete Plan 2k with the spreadsht.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

mdpfirrman
10k Poster

Post by mdpfirrman » August 18th, 2016, 4:50 pm

jackarabit wrote:Headcount is currently 10 rowers including Lindsay Hay who will not start until mid-September; 8 signed in to Dean's spreadsht. If anyone here is a pencil chewer or prefers a hardcopy record, something similar to the calendar shown below will also work well for quick reference. I use mine in conjunction with digital photos of monitor results pages in a folder indexed to date and incline to Lazyboy, no transcription training reports. If you don't care for the tedium of copying in and out of photo hosting sites, DIgital Rowing's RowPro software combined with a snip tool or Concept 2's ErgData expanded results report in the current logbook are good reporting tools. I believe the smart phoners with blue teeth :lol: have similar tools which offer split pacing and graphing capabilities. I guess most of us have noticed that Dean includes a reference copy of Pete Plan 2k with the spreadsht.

I'll try to work the spreadsheet but something I've been doing for a while (learned it last year doing the PP) was simply snap a pic at the rower, go to the log and enter the time and in the notes section put the splits and how you felt along with average. That way I have notes in every day's log how I progress through the plan. I have an older I-Phone so no Erg Data and I row at the gym so no RowPro. I'm kind of a simple guy I suppose.

Mike Pfirrman
53 Yrs old, 5' 10" / 185 lbs (177cm/84kg)

Pie Man
5k Poster

Post by Pie Man » August 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Photos and the online log is how I have been recording my BPP. I have my phone with me for my HR belt so it's easy to do. I will try the spreadsheet as well so I better ask for edit access.
Piers 53m was 73Kg 175cm to 2019 now 78kg
500m 1:34 (HW 2020) 2k 7:09.5 (2017 LWT) 10k 39:58.9 (2016 LWT) HM 1:28:26.9 (2017 LWT)

S-man
500m Poster

Post by S-man » August 18th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I'm a pen and paper guy myself, but will upgrade to the spreadsheet, for this if possible - will contact Dean to get myself on this.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 18th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Sanz and Piers: Good show! Were not going to make a gold-plated CD for interring in a time capsule but a shared archive is handy for refreshing memory in forum discussion.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

eliotsmith
500m Poster

Post by eliotsmith » August 18th, 2016, 10:01 pm

I think I'll hop on board this group.

Eliot:
38y
150lbs
5'11"

I haven't seriously rowed in 4 years. Even then, I wasn't much for training for the competitive distances and simply used the rower to enhance my aerobic fitness. I still have the Concept 2 in my office, use it occasionally, but have spent more time in other pursuits. I am generally fit and lightweight and would love to work on getting more power out of each stroke. I enjoy long distance work but also love a good sweat fest so I think the PP will work for me. I look forward to being part of a group as a way to keep me motivated.

Looking back I see a 2K at 7:41 back in 2010. I know I never beat 20 minutes for the 5K but I also never really tried. It will be interesting to see what I can do with some more dedication and repetition.

I'll row a bit on Saturday and Sunday to get going and then start in on the PP on Monday.

Best wishes to all.

Also: Where is the spreadsheet mentioned above by jackarabit? --
8 signed in to Dean's spreadsht.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 18th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Welcome Eliot. Send private message to <bisqeet> (Dean Didion) requesting sprdsht access. Include your email address. PM area found on User Control Panel top of page.

Take a look at https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/ for an intro to what you'll be doing. If, on further consideration, you have second thoughts about taking on this training load cold with very little or no recent time on the erg, there are alternatives. You might benefit from several months of Pete Beginner Plan which emphasizes building up to long continuous distance rows combined with some exploration of HIIT training. You are not a beginner but you could think of it as a Begin Here or PrePete Plan. There was some talk last week about one signup doing Pete Beginner. Group leader Mike Pfirrman may know how that was resolved. Two would be company if you opt for that line of country.

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

bisqeet
10k Poster

Post by bisqeet » August 19th, 2016, 5:30 am

Just a note about the spreadsheet.

theres actually a whole drive for us to spam

I created some folders for the individuals to stick whatever they want there; screenshots, row reports, notes, etc.

Also on the süreadsheet itself, if you don't see your name, then you can add it yourself.

I started off alphabetically (hence me being first), but feel free to do whatever.
there are some tabs (feel free to create your own)
I use mine as baseline, plus I will add my fast pieces there to calculate the average pace.
-> i use this as the next rotations target.
Dean
2020 Season: 196cm / 96kg : M51
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~

bisqeet
10k Poster

Post by bisqeet » August 19th, 2016, 5:31 am

I'm all for a week 4.
should we add it ?
general consensus ?

Day1 500 TT
Day2 SS
Day3 1k TT
Day4 SS
Day5 2k TT
Day6 SS

something along that line ?
Dean
2020 Season: 196cm / 96kg : M51
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » August 19th, 2016, 6:24 am

paul45 wrote:
G-dub wrote:Fair amount of "willy wagging" (using the parlance of our times) going on in here :D

After deliberation I have decided to proceed as well. A soft opening if you will. The chance to share training with you guys is too tempting to avoid for another month. Have participated in the plan twice with mixed results. First time last summer was a joy but I was really fatigued. Was able to pull a PB after. Second time last fall I think I put myself in the tank. Was able to recover and pull a PB at the race I was gearing for, so all was not lost. But it made me realize that training is a means to an end and not the end itself. I want to get the 7 monkey off my back - I think I've been vocal enough about that! Last few weeks I felt something starting to click but the PP has a way of letting you know for sure. I will have some schedule challenges to work around but no big deal. I want to stick with this for several cycles this time so will ramp in sensibly. My biggest work around challenge is that my friends and I like to go mountain bike riding a day on the weekend and that really messes up my energy for erging for a day or two. So I have some decisions to make there.

What do you mean when you say "willy wagging" i find this comment quite offensive :shock:

See, he should have used the correct term, "willy waving" :wink: No wonder the term he used went down like the Titanic :roll: :lol:
46 yo male 5'10 88kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

eliotsmith
500m Poster

Post by eliotsmith » August 19th, 2016, 6:54 am

jackarabit wrote:Welcome Eliot. Send private message to <bisqeet> (Dean Didion) requesting sprdsht access. Include your email address. PM area found on User Control Panel top of page.

Take a look at https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/ for an intro to what you'll be doing. If, on further consideration, you have second thoughts about taking on this training load cold with very little or no recent time on the erg, there are alternatives. You might benefit from several months of Pete Beginner Plan which emphasizes building up to long continuous distance rows combined with some exploration of HIIT training. You are not a beginner but you could think of it as a Begin Here or PrePete Plan. There was some talk last week about one signup doing Pete Beginner. Group leader Mike Pfirrman may know how that was resolved. Two would be company if you opt for that line of country.
Thanks jackarabit!

I have already looked at the PP and understand the challenge and amount of rowing required. I still think I'll give it a go. I like a challenge and am aerobically fit enough to benefit from, and even enjoy, the experience. Besides, someone has to represent the under 40 crowd. :D

Cheers,
Eliot

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 19th, 2016, 7:47 am

Bisqeet asks:
I'm all for a week 4.
should we add it ?
general consensus ?

Day1 500 TT
Day2 SS
Day3 1k TT
Day4 SS
Day5 2k TT
Day6 SS
4th wk standalone TTs set as ranking-eligible TTs are certainly smarter than setting intervals, getting the itch to test and blowing off the first rep as warmup, doing the second all in, and the third as fade and warmdown. Come to think of it, that's pretty close to one of Marston's options for dong the 3x2000 in Pete Beginner except that the hot middle Isn't a license for beginners to commit suicide by erg. When the can't wait to see bug strikes, any of us could be found at cross purposes with the program on any day that schedules reps of a ranked distance. A week devoted to time trials would be, imo, the better choice if we can't stand not knowing if we've got to where we hope we're headed.

On the flip side of instant gratification is instant disappointment. Routine suffers at the first appearance of either success or failure. I believe in the power of routine. "Do the work and the results take care of themselves." Testing out for advanced placement short circuits the magic. Patience with the recipe produces the tasty cake! My vote is box stock 3 wk or extra 4th week as varaiations on a theme such as 6x750 speed or 3x2500 endurance (the Greg Smith "keep it interesting" option from PP summer 15).
Last edited by jackarabit on August 19th, 2016, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 19th, 2016, 7:54 am

Cheers Eliot. Your nickle, your tune.

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

Pie Man
5k Poster

Post by Pie Man » August 19th, 2016, 7:55 am

Being a complete beginner I know nothing, but personally I'd like to keep it simple so vanilla PP. However as I say I know nothing so will fit in.

I still have to decide on my initial targets...
Piers 53m was 73Kg 175cm to 2019 now 78kg
500m 1:34 (HW 2020) 2k 7:09.5 (2017 LWT) 10k 39:58.9 (2016 LWT) HM 1:28:26.9 (2017 LWT)