Trans Canada Row

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 12th, 2006, 11:12 pm

The Eh Team site looks great Jim!!!<br /><br />10k today w/ 3 X100 metres @ 1:34. This workout was for practicing starts. It seems I need the practice. On the first pull of the first interval I went flying off the seat . A first (and hopefully last ) for me.

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 12th, 2006, 11:23 pm

13k for me - Jan 12<br />Wolverine lvl 4. <br /><br />Keep on rowin',<br /><br />Jim

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 13th, 2006, 12:03 am

Jan. 12 - 12K total<br />2K warmup<br />4x2K @ 1:59.7, 1:58.6, 1:57.4, 1:55.8<br />2K cooldown<br />Average pace for the 4x2K was 1:57.9 versus 1:59.5 about three weeks ago <i>plus</i> the perceived effort was much less. <br /><!--QuoteBegin-Yukon John+Jan 12 2006, 10:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yukon John @ Jan 12 2006, 10:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This workout was for practicing starts. It seems I need the practice. On the first pull of the first interval I went flying off the seat . A first (and hopefully last ) for me. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Has this been an effective workout for you in the past John? I need work on my starts as well (and my finishes and all the in-between stuff too ), I've been thinking that core strengthening might be the best approach but this type of workout would likely help too.<br /><br />I just checked out the January challenge site - holy mosquito some people are rowing a pile of meters!! Two of our team mates are over 200K already, then there's Dwayne Adams and John Harper with over 600K! Those guys have almost matched my season total in less than two weeks - it also puts them on a pace for nearly 20 000K for the year - pretty amazing stuff.

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 13th, 2006, 12:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Yukon John+Jan 12 2006, 10:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Yukon John @ Jan 12 2006, 10:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This workout was for practicing starts. It seems I need the practice. On the first pull of the first interval I went flying off the seat . A first (and hopefully last ) for me. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Has this been an effective workout for you in the past John? I need work on my starts as well (and my finishes and all the in-between stuff too ), I've been thinking that core strengthening might be the best approach but this type of workout would likely help too. </td></tr></table><br /><br />This is the first time that I've tried doing just 100 metres. It's set up through RowPro and you have to come to a complete stop before each interval. Lately, for the quality parts of my workouts I've been doing a mixture of the 20 s/m in either 500 or a 1000 metre intervals and 200 metre intervals about as fast as I can go and at a fast stroke rate (around 40 s/m.) I feel like my legs are getting stronger, but we'll see if it ends up with faster times. This is all very interesting for me. I haven't trained like this before with other sports like running, biking and skiing. The slow stroke rate stuff reminds me a bit of a type of workout I used a lot in the past called pliometrics. In case you're not familiar with them, plio's are where you do a breaking action (essentric muscle contraction), like when you jump off of something and your legs bend to slow the fall. Followed immediately with a concentric muscle contraction (ie. jumping up) The idea behind these is that they develop explosive power. Basketball players use plio's to develop their vertical jump, a skier might use them so that they can do a couple of quick powerful contractions and climb over a small hill. I'm sure there is probably some stuff on the internet about pliometrics so I won't gone on too much about them. This summer I might put a few plio sessions in. I think that they could really help with rowing. If anyone considers doing these, just a little warning, start with just a few unless you want to wake up the next morning and wonder how your legs got run over by a bus during the night and if you have trouble with your knees be careful (because of the stresses these produce) If anyone would be interested in how to set up a pliometric workout, let me know and I'll give you some ideas from when I did these for myself and when I coached a x-country ski team. It wouldn't be hard to taylor this type of workout for rowing.<br /><br />Mark, I'm also looking at doing more with the core muscle strengthening. The couple of yoga positions that Brian suggested a while ago I try to do after most rows (when I'm not too lazy ) and I've been doing a little of the legondary abs workouts that I posted in the fitness threads. So much to do, eh?

[old] rr1kirk

General

Post by [old] rr1kirk » January 13th, 2006, 1:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has this been an effective workout for you in the past John? I need work on my starts as well (and my finishes and all the in-between stuff too  ), I've been thinking that core strengthening might be the best approach but this type of workout would likely help too. </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Jan 12 - 7K<br /><br />Still feeling yesterday's intervals a bit.<br /><br />John & Mark, I used to do lunges when training for cycling. I used a barbell across my shoulders, lunged forward and pushed off the forward leg to return to a standing position. Because the weight is on your shoulders the core muscles are used to balance everything. It also is great for the quads and glutes. Start with an empty bar until your are used to the action.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Kirk<br /><br />

[old] DArcy

General

Post by [old] DArcy » January 13th, 2006, 9:53 am

Jan 8 to 13 -- 17k; got lazy about posting.<br /><br />D'Arcy

[old] Rowgirl

General

Post by [old] Rowgirl » January 13th, 2006, 10:59 am

5,510 for me today. <br /><br />Jill

[old] Carol

General

Post by [old] Carol » January 13th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Put me down for 7000 meters today. <br />I'll be back on Monday.<br />Carol<br />

[old] ed__d

General

Post by [old] ed__d » January 13th, 2006, 6:18 pm

10.0k, 13 Jan

[old] rr1kirk

General

Post by [old] rr1kirk » January 14th, 2006, 12:09 am

Jan 13 - 11.7km<br /><br />Tried the CTC again. 7322@20 s/m. Moved the boat ahead 23 metres.<br /><br />I've been to the UK forum ,Taff Attack, and got a few tips.<br /><br />Thanks to Carla (seat 5) for the metronome idea. I didn't use 60 and evey third beat though. I can't waltz that slow. 80 bpm and every fourth beat was better for me.<br /><br />I tried a mantra, thanks Krysta. "2..0..3..0" worked for me. (went 2:02.9)<br /><br />Thanks for the help ladies.<br /><br />Kirk

[old] Yukon John

General

Post by [old] Yukon John » January 14th, 2006, 12:50 am

Great job Kirk!!!<br /><br />I just finished doing the challenge myself. I won't be doing it again for a very very long time!!!!!!!!! During the last 2 minutes or so, the edges of my vision was going black and there were some spots floating around, and when I finished I had a case of the dry heaves (luckily it wasn't productive .) That was without a doubt the hardest row I've done. OK, enough whining, the good news is that I increased another 42 metres. 7815 total ave. HR 175! <br /><br />total distance today 15k. Now if I only had one of those beers we've been discussing lately, I'd probably have a chance of seeing spots again .

[old] Krysta Coleman

General

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » January 14th, 2006, 10:57 am

Right on, Kirk and John! (I am allowed to cheer for the little lonely Canadian boat out there, even if I am with the Indy's!)<br /><br />John, I had kind of a similar head-rush thing happen in a race a few months ago. My face got all flushed and I thought my sight was blurring around the edges too. Can't be a great thing.<br /><br />

[old] rr1kirk

General

Post by [old] rr1kirk » January 14th, 2006, 11:06 am

Great work John.<br /><br />I've only recently returned to the zone where I you start pushing yourself. Something about competition and taking it for the team.<br />Haven't strapped on the HR monitor, never did like seeing 190-200 during a race! <br /><br />Again, great row!<br /><br />Kirk

[old] Mark Keating

General

Post by [old] Mark Keating » January 14th, 2006, 11:16 am

Congrats to both John and Kirk, excellent rowing!!<br /><br />Jan. 13 - ~6500 m<br /><br />30' @ 2:19, r16<br /><br />

[old] ulu

General

Post by [old] ulu » January 14th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Awesome rowing everyone, 30 minutes at r16 could not have been to pleasant Mark. Nice job on the ctcc John and Kirk. <br /><br />12k for me today - Jan 14.<br /><br />Jim