Cancer Recovery

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
GateDad
Paddler

Cancer Recovery

Post by GateDad » July 18th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Bought my Concept 2 Model D about 18 months ago, enjoyed it but struggled with consistency for the first 6 months or so. Fast forward to Fall 2015 and a prostate cancer diagnosis. My choice of treatment was robotic prostatectomy, which I underwent in November. The procedure itself was not difficult but I had some complications...namely I developed neuropathy in my left foot along with knee and hip pain. Apparently I had some pre-existing DJD in the knees and hips, and being in the stirrup(as they call the table the place you onto for the surgery)for almost 6 hours was too much pressure for my joints and bones. Instead of a 1 day in, next day out procedure, I was in the hospital for 5 days, until I was able to walk. Full recovery took about 3 months and walking was tenuous. I could walk, but not without pain, although it gradually diminished in severity. During this time I simply did not have the energy to use my C2MD. As is usual, my cancer surgeon had my PSA tests ran again several months after surgery, and unfortunately some cancer still remained. I then eventually underwent 34 treatments of radiation therapy. Prior to beginning the radiation, I had been made aware that fatigue would probably be the biggest side effect and that one of the remedies was regular exercise. Since I had a great ergometer, and walking was still tricky(or better said, annoying to walk any meaningful distance)I started on a pre-radiation therapy rowing program to acclimate myself to vigorous exercise. After about a month of this, I had my radiation treatments(which were so easy as to cause me to ask my radiation techs if the machine was actually on!!). I continued with what had been a daily rowing program after the radiation ended. I never really felt the extreme fatigue so many have had, although there was certainly fatigue, which I was able to deal with by getting to bed early every night. It's been about a month since completing my sessions and I have continued with my regime. However, instead of 20 minutes every day, I upped the time to 30 minutes, at higher intensity, but reduced the frequency to every other day. The knee arthritis is still present and does give me some problems, such that I need some Alleve or Tylenol to get through the day. What I wanted to say though, was the addictive nature of rowing really kicked in big time. Following the suggestion of "Row Daily..." I made it a habit to row every day and let myself feel the benefits of gently but vigorously rowing. I'd set up a 32" flat screen TV, a Roku device and the C2MD. What an experience, relaxing, invigorating and yes, almost hypnotic(when you forget how fast you are rowing, when the breathing and movements are in sync and you don't even look at the PM5. I am not trying to set any records, nor impress anyone(hah, my times and stats would not impress anyone, believe me!). My goal is to just spend 30 minutes a day in a relaxed yet active state. HR this morning, 10 minutes after finishing my workout was 60. I am 61 years old and row at approximately 100 BPM, 24 SR and a damper setting of 4. Honestly, I love the time I spend on my C2MD. Strangely enough, I have to thank prostate cancer for spurring me on to regular exercise. Yes, I do make lemonade when life hands me lemons. I don't know what my future holds, although indications are I should be fine. You probably won't find me doing any marathons or shooting for any records, this is about active relaxation for me, and it is working just fine!!!

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Cancer Recovery

Post by Bob S. » July 18th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Interesting and inspiring report. Thanks for sharing your story.

Bob S.

swingshiftworker
Paddler

Prostate Cancer Survival

Post by swingshiftworker » July 20th, 2016, 2:06 am

OP: Congrats on being a prostate cancer (PCa) treatment! I hope you soon join the ranks of survivors when you reach the 5 year benchmark that I recently passed.

Was diagnosed in Jan 2010 at age 59. Chose the currently most precise form of radiation treatment called CyberKnife (CK) with which I was treated w/in Sep 2010, just before I turned 60. One of the advantages of CK is the minimization of side effects -- notably urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction. I experienced no side effects from the treatment whatsoever, which was done on an outpatient over 5 days (1 treatment every other day). The measure of success w/radiation is a drop of the PSA level below 1. I achieved this over a year ago, when I was 65, and my PSA level continues to drop. So, my cancer is considered in remission. Of course, any cancer can return again and one must always remain vigilant.

Proper diet and exercise are two of the ways I have chosen to hopefully prevent recurrence. I have a fully equipment garage gym, including a power rack, 6 different types of Olympic bars, over 1K lbs in bumper and other weight plates and many other accessories. I also set up a mini Crossfit "gym" in my backyard, including a 200# tractor tire, a 8 & 10# sledge hammer, a 50' battle rope and a power sled w/harness and strap that I've been pulling over 400 ft each session w/90#'s of bumper plates that I also use w/an Olympic bar and mine. I try to work out w/the weights 2-3x's a week and use the Crossfit gear a least once a week. On top of that I try to do at least 30 mins/day either on my LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike or my Concept 2 rower. Like you I'm not going to win any races biking or rowing. Far from it but it does keep me busy and should contribute to my general health and well being.

PS to the men on this forum:

All men 50 and older should get a PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood test done annually to detect the possibility of PCa. According the the American Cancer Society, 1 out of 7 men in the US will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and it is the 2nd most common cause of death (after lung disease) among men; about 1 man in 39 will die from it. However, PCa is generally a very slow growing form of cancer than can be effectively treated if discovered early.

Early detection and treatment is the key! So, if you haven't been tested w/in the past year, do yourself and your family a favor and get tested ASAP!!

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » July 22nd, 2016, 1:55 pm

Like what bob said. I don't really want to talk about the C... lost my mother to it a few years ago after an 8 month battle of hell :cry:

I can totally relate to what you said about rowing though. I am fairly new to it myself, and i too am not out to break any records or impress anyone! I am doing it to get fitter/better shape body and rid the excess body fat, and i have fell in love with the whole rowing experience and every second spent on the rower. I truly believe some of that love stemmed from making the workouts not too punishing/grueling, or trying to kill myself by slogging my guts out on the rower. What i am doing is moderate rate work right now and it is working massively well for me personally, and that is really all i care about at the end of the day.

I hope you continue to get well pal, and also stay motivated and enthusiastic about rowing each day :)

Thank you for sharing your story.
46 yo male 5'10 88kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

Steve W
2k Poster

Post by Steve W » July 30th, 2016, 8:37 am

GateDad; Congrats on your recovery and working a healthy life. Was diagnosed at age 49, Gleason score 8. Have ten years recovery now and sure you will get there as well. Live (and row :D ) well & thanks for sharing your story.
63yo, 62kg, Erg 500m, 1:58.6; 1k; 2k 8:04; 5k 20:46; 30min 7096m; 10k 43:49; 1 hour 13578m; half marathon, 1:37:49; marathon, 3:36:47
Skierg 2K 9:10; 5k 24:30; 30 min 6075m; 10k 49:56.5; 1hr 11776m; half marathon, 1:52:43.2; skierg marathon, 4:04:14.

Eric308
1k Poster

Post by Eric308 » July 31st, 2016, 5:45 pm

Another prostate cancer survivor here. I was diagnosed in '02....Gleason of 8. I had zero symptoms and had been rowing and feeling fit. Doctor did a PSA during a routine physical and it came back around 4 which he determined to be a "grey" area. Had the tissue/core biopsy...(wow, did that hurt) and it came back positive. Had a pre-robotic radical with no side effects. PSA has been zero or undetectable for 14 years. I'm 71 now and row every day as well as doing a lot of upper body free weights and circuit machines.
Happy for all of you other survivors!

GateDad
Paddler

Post by GateDad » August 2nd, 2016, 12:14 pm

I want to thank those who replied or commented here. My experience with cancer has been, quite surprisingly, not so bad. Several years ago I'd had an unusual type of cancer(carcinoid tumor)which was discovered(and removed)during a laparascopic appendectomy. It required really nothing other than the surgery, as they "got it all" when they took out the organ. I also have had polyps every time I have had a colonoscopy, so I have been kind of vigilant about the prostate cancer possibility. My PSA always ran high, then would drop and rise again. Seemed like that was just the way my PSA went. However, I did have a prostate biopsy several years ago(it was negative). Let me say that the biopsy caused almost no pain at all. I'd read on line about doctors performing the biopsy without anesthesia and told my doctor I was concerned about that. He laughed and told me they use a local to numb the area and then inject anesthesia. Honestly, the pain of the initial injection was no more than the most mild prick sensation. After that it was simple and painless. Sorry to hear about the extreme pain. Fast forward to 2015 and the numbers were just running too high and my urologist sent me for an enhanced MRI and CT scans. That was a relatively newer technology to assist in pinpointing the area they needed to focus on. Doing that, plus the enhanced biopsy, was no picnic but it involved little pain---just some discomfort(not fun to have a camera of sorts in your back side for an hour, and then not fun either to have the doctors poking around there for a while). I knew in my heart we'd find cancer, so I was relieved to get a diagnosis and to have an excellent surgeon who was confident that we could deal with this. Had the surgery, as mentioned in my original post, and then the follow up radiation. Not yet time to go back for my 4 month follow up, and to some degree I am nervous about the possibility that the cancer might still be there, somewhere in my body. If I am right, the next preferred treatment, if cancer still remains, is chemical castration...basically giving me drugs to stop the production of male hormones. Not looking forward to that, but will deal with it if it comes to that. I am going to continue my C2 workouts, the "addiction" has fully kicked in. I'd row every day if it were not for the fact that it still takes a toll on my body if I go too hard or for too long. Right now it is every other day, but at a harder pace than I had been doing while getting radiation. You know, I don't even look at my 500 meter pace(although I think it's a bit over 3 minutes, if that makes sense). I enjoy the relaxation and getting away from it all. Plus, I got caught up on "The Americans" on Amazon!

As several of the gentlemen on here have said, get your PSA checked. It's not a perfect test, but it is a useful tool. The process is NOT painful, at worst it has been a nuisance, even with the biopsies and blood tests and whatever.