Standards For Ranking And Records

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Graham Benton

General

Post by [old] Graham Benton » January 21st, 2006, 2:11 pm

Ralph has a very good point. One of my main ambitions is to be faster over 2k than Sir Steve Redgrave. I believe his fastest 2k time was 5:46.7 ... the 30-39 British record until Matthew Pinsent went 5:42.3. My fastest time is 5:46.9 so I am still 0.2 seconds away from arguably the world's greatest olympian and one of my biggest heros. But his time was done during National trials on a standalone machine ... mine was done at the British Indoors on a machine hooked up to e-row so my time includes reaction time and his does not. So, unless my reaction time was quicker than 0.2 seconds, which is unlikely as 100m sprinters have a norm of 0.13-0.15 seconds, then my actual time taken to row 2000m is probably quicker. But that can't be proven so my time is as it stands and I will just have to go quicker next time!

[old] Ralph Earle

General

Post by [old] Ralph Earle » January 21st, 2006, 2:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Graham Benton+Jan 21 2006, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Graham Benton @ Jan 21 2006, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ralph has a very good point. One of my main ambitions is to be faster over 2k than Sir Steve Redgrave. I believe his fastest 2k time was 5:46.7 ...  My fastest time is 5:46.9 so I am still 0.2 seconds away from arguably the world's greatest olympian and one of my biggest heros. But his time was done during National trials on a standalone machine ... mine was done at the British Indoors on a machine hooked up to e-row so my time includes reaction time and his does not. ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You had to make up not just reaction time, but also get-the-flywheel-moving time. Erow probably exacts at least a 0.5-second "handicap."

[old] cbrock

General

Post by [old] cbrock » January 22nd, 2006, 4:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Ralph Earle+Jan 22 2006, 02:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ralph Earle @ Jan 22 2006, 02:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Graham Benton+Jan 21 2006, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Graham Benton @ Jan 21 2006, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ralph has a very good point. One of my main ambitions is to be faster over 2k than Sir Steve Redgrave. I believe his fastest 2k time was 5:46.7 ...  My fastest time is 5:46.9 so I am still 0.2 seconds away from arguably the world's greatest olympian and one of my biggest heros. But his time was done during National trials on a standalone machine ... mine was done at the British Indoors on a machine hooked up to e-row so my time includes reaction time and his does not. ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You had to make up not just reaction time, but also get-the-flywheel-moving time. Erow probably exacts at least a 0.5-second "handicap." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Happy Birthday Ralph, just noticed.<br /><br />Please don't tell Tom I posted this as he will almost certainly withdraw my probationary membership of Posters Anonomous.<br /><br />Chris

[old] Ralph Earle

General

Post by [old] Ralph Earle » January 22nd, 2006, 3:49 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />Happy Birthday Ralph, just noticed.<br /><br />Please don't tell Tom I posted this as he will almost certainly withdraw my probationary membership of Posters Anonomous.<br /><br />Chris <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Especially since I don't think we've met or corresponded, Chris, that was quite thoughtful. Thank you!<br /><br />- Ralph