Introductions

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] DavidA

General

Post by [old] DavidA » March 28th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Welcome mark12_30. I didn't know that they let elves row on college teams, or was it not an NCAA approved?

[old] mark12_30

General

Post by [old] mark12_30 » March 28th, 2005, 10:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DavidA+Mar 28 2005, 05:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DavidA @ Mar 28 2005, 05:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Welcome mark12_30. I didn't know that they let elves row on college teams, or was it not an NCAA approved?    <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Kind of you, thanks! <br />Regarding college teams... since it was just a club, we had some leeway. And they did prefer tall folk.<br />

[old] bw1099

General

Post by [old] bw1099 » March 30th, 2005, 10:25 pm

I did not row when I was at Syracuse University many years ago, but people often asked if I did since (in those days) I was about the right size and shape. About 10 years later, I happened to be in Cambridge visiting a girlfriend the weekend of the Head of the Charles and thought that I might like to row. Another 5 years later, I was in a hotel in Chicago and looked out the window to see someone sculling on the Chicago River, and got more interested in rowing. Then two years ago I moved to a city with a river and a rowing club and finally got started. I started erging to keep the rowing muscles from atrophying too much over the winter and found out how it helped me become a better rower on the water.<br /><br />In the winter, I ski and ice skate (and erg). I used to sail before I started rowing.<br /><br />I am a materials scientist working in R&D for an automotive company. I have a wife who walks about 15 miles a day, and three cats. I used to work at a university where I worked in research and taught. Before that, many years of grad school.<br /><br />Age: 45. Extra Pounds: 45. <br /><br />bw

[old] DavidA

General

Post by [old] DavidA » March 31st, 2005, 3:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bw1099+Mar 30 2005, 09:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bw1099 @ Mar 30 2005, 09:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I am a materials scientist working in R&D for an automotive company.  I have a wife who walks about 15 miles a day, and three cats.  <br />bw <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Wow! That is a lot of walking!

[old] dmhayden

General

Post by [old] dmhayden » April 1st, 2005, 2:44 pm

Here's my intro.<br /><br />I was a swimmer in high school and recall people saying that rowing was a good sport for swimmers. When I went to college (Stanford '85) the swim team was MUCH too good for me, so started my slow descent into terrible physical shape.<br /><br />After college I joined a gym briefly and used a rowing machine a little. No one instructed me on it's use and I remember working to get the damper setting higher and higher. That was probably a Model B, but I can't be sure.<br /><br />Now fast forward about 20 years and 30 lbs. I get the crazy idea to enter a 1.2 mile swim through Gloucester (MA) harbor this summer. The swim has been going on for about 25 years and way back when, a friend and I would usually come in first and second place. A few emails later, I've got several of my old friends from 25 years ago talked into swimming also.<br /><br />Time to get in shape.<br /><br />I already have one of those home gyms that works well for building strength, but does nothing for endurance, so I decide to look into getting a rower. I little research on the web told me that Concept2 was the way to go. After about a month, I was able to get Model C on ebay that was local so I could avoid shipping. Picked it up March 16th this year.<br /><br />I'm married to my sweetheart of 17 years. 2 kids, living in New Jersey. I'm a computer programmer during the day in the telecommunications field.<br />

[old] hennmart

General

Post by [old] hennmart » April 1st, 2005, 5:03 pm

Name: Hennie <br /><br />46 years, 106 kg. and 1.93 m.<br /><br />

[old] Warduke

General

Post by [old] Warduke » April 5th, 2005, 5:45 pm

In 1991, I bought a Nordictrack. It has served me very well over the years and since then, I have tried many other machines (bikes, treadmills, etc) and not found anything else that I loved. <br /><br />A few years back I stopped by a new local gym and noticed a C2 erg there (I was already a little familiar with the erg, I had gotten a brochure/video years before) I tried it out and fell in love with it. The gym wasn’t doing well and soon closed. Although I missed the rower, at the time, I thought it was just too expensive (even though I had spent just as much for the Nordictrack) and just put it out of my mind.<br /><br />So last year, I was looking through a Sears catalog and noticed a rowing machine. It was nice looking and under $400. So I thought, how can I lose? Well, the old adage “you get what you pay for” was never more true. It looked good and worked great…until the next day when I got on it and one of the seat rollers broke. I had used it for less than 15 minutes and it was already broken, just like that. After looking at the other rollers, it was very obvious they were very cheap and another one was about to come loose . Needless to say, I sent it back right away and started looking at the new Model D. Well I finally took the plunge and ordered one last week. I was ecstatic to find the box on my porch this morning. After putting it together (it was a breeze) I tried it out and it’s simply amazing. I can’t believe that I waited so long to get one. But that’s ok, now that I have it, I plan of making the most out of it. <br />

[old] xcountryrower

General

Post by [old] xcountryrower » April 24th, 2005, 12:18 pm

Hola, mis amigos. <br /><br />17-yr. old senior in high school. Graduate on June 10th and can't wait. Row for Forest Park High School on the Occoquan in our Men's Lightweight 4. Going to VA Tech like the signature suggests. On a crazy quest to break 7 for the 2k, since I have grown a foot since last year when i was a coxswain. Currently the proud and loving owner of a 1999 or 2000 Maas single, which I am still trying to master since I have absolutely no training when it comes to sculling, but i'm making steps in the right direction.<br /><br />Names Ross

[old] The Catch

General

Post by [old] The Catch » April 25th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Hi, my name is Jennifer. I’m an experienced on-water rower, but a new C2 owner and novice to this site. I’m a desk-jockey engineer, married to a surveyor. We don’t have kids, but we have a blue-tick coonhound. We spend weekends at our camp up in northern Maine.<br /><br />I started rowing in 1977 my sophomore year in high school at Northfield Mount Hermon. It was all-consuming, and I loved it. I was three, four, seven, or stroke (ambidextrous). I also rowed a quad for a brief stint while in Ösnabruck, Germany…skulling is hard enough…try it in a foreign language! <br /><br />When I got to Cornell, I made the women’s varsity boat as a freshman. But the long winters in the tanks and on the ergs (long before the smooth sensation of C2) burned me out. My last season of collegiate rowing was fall of 1981. All together I rowed in 5 Head of the Charles regattas and still have all my old trophy t-shirts (though they stopped fitting long ago). I rowed an Alden Ocean shell for a while, but lately it’s been skiing, cycling, sailing….the years flew by and my interests evolved into yoga, kayaking, fly fishing…maybe you can see a trend.<br /><br />Now, I’ve gained more weight than I care to confess here. But the real eye-opener occurred when I was diagnosed with diabetes in January, at age 42. Yeah, it runs in my family, but the extra pounds, diet and weekend warrior lifestyle were what brought it on. I bought a Concept 2 and since March I’ve been rediscovering the joys of rowing, losing some pounds, and gaining strength.<br /><br />It’s funny, I haven’t really thought about rowing for almost 25 years…callouses and tincture of benzoin, hooples, getting clocked by an oar after catching a crab, puking after an especially hard piece are things most people want to forget. But it’s all coming back. Along with the energy, strength, discipline, and focus. I look forward to rowing myself back to health and fitness.<br /><br />This is a fantastic site. Thank you to C2 for the challenges, logs, and forums to help keep up the motivation. And thanks to all you members for setting high standards, sharing your goals and challenges. Although it’s not the same as being on the water, or having Coach along side with a bullhorn, it’s pretty damn good.<br />

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » June 6th, 2005, 2:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Apr 1 2005, 10:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Apr 1 2005, 10:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />I'm curious how it is to row on water and maybe in the future I am going to try it.<br /><br />Greetings, Hennie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi, Hennie!<br />Just try on-water rowing if you have the possibility. look for a club which is not too competition oriented, and just ask. You'll see it's great!

[old] katbois

General

Post by [old] katbois » June 6th, 2005, 11:13 pm

New to erging since March '05. Have grown accustomed to the rowing at the gym and am picking up new and interesting insights daily from this site.<br /><br />Live in South Florida with my partner, Martin and our two cats Murpy and Molly. I work for a music publisher in Miami and have extended degrees in music education and church music. <br /><br />Since 1995, I have run mucho marathons (Disney 1996; Chicago 1996; San Francisco 1997; Disney 1998; Boston 1998; Marine Corps 1998; Disney 1999; Chicago 1999; Bejing 2000; Twin Cities 2001; Miami 2002; Boston 2002; NYC 2002; NYC 2003) and have really loved the sport from this amateur viewpoint. Bought a Litespeed in 2004 and have enjoyed becoming part of the "share the road" community in the past year. <br /><br />Discovered the Concept2 Model D at my gym and have since gotten hooked. I am contemplating one for home use!<br /><br />Wish I could profess more athletic prowess, but alas, it is what it is. Erg on <br /><br />Mark<br /><br />

[old] Peter S

General

Post by [old] Peter S » June 21st, 2005, 8:56 pm

Hey Y'all, I'm Peter. I'm a 17 year old lightweight going into my fourth year of rowing. I will be a Senior in High School. I currently do a lot more on the water rowing than I do on the erg, but I own a Model D and I erg up to 5 to 6 times a week depending on the season. I live in Georgia and row for a local junior team, which in recent years has become very competitive on a national scale. I guess I don't have as much of a background as many of the people here, but I am hoping to break 6:40 by next winter to make the trek up to Boston for C.R.A.S.H. B's. I was unable to make it this year due to illness throughout the winter. I've currently raced in two national championships for Juniors and hope to row in college. the quote of "Rowing is Life" pretty much sums me up.<br /><br />Peter

[old] gibbo1969

General

Post by [old] gibbo1969 » July 31st, 2005, 9:56 pm

Greetings all.<br /><br />36 years old form Perth western Australia - originally from UK. Married with 3 girls. Spent years in health industry running health clubs but have just changed industries so bought a C2 as I hate gyms! Qualified personal trainer.<br />90kg 191cms. Played a lot of Rugby Union when younger (and 20kg heavier) and also Judo for many years.<br />Used to be a weight lifting nut but saw the light and now focus on the C2 and core work. Rowed in a surf boat last year and loved it, cant wait for this season.<br />Row every day and usually do 10k.

[old] atineb

General

Post by [old] atineb » September 22nd, 2005, 7:46 am

Hello!<br /><br />I just joined as I was looking at the changes in the oars in the last 50 years and I stumbeled accross this forum and I thought.. hey i should join! I am 16 year old (going on 17 soon!) lightweight female around 5' 8' although I am still growing ! I live in Melbourne, Australia and as most you guys seem to be going into winter we are in spring and I am eagerly awaiting summer (although I am lucky because I rowed right through winter) because I am sick of rowing in the cold! hehe. I am a sculler through and through although I do enjoy getting into an eight once and a while. <br /><br />I am a cycling enthusist who has just got a road bike but I also enjoy my mountain bike for a bit of strenght training and now am enjoying ergos as they have become clear to me that they will be a nessisary evil in the world of rowing (although I am really enjoying them at the moment )<br /><br />I look forward to learning more about what others do in boats and general rowers chit chat as I have only been rowing for a year and a half (although I am getting there and am not too far behind others my age!) and am eager to pick up some tips and also share some that I have picked up.<br /><br />I am now rowing in an awsome club which is enabling me to extend my abilities as a rower. I am privlidged as it is the same club that the famous James Thomkins and Drew Ginn are members of (although I have never seen them... )<br /><br />I look forward to getting to know you all...<br /><br />cheers atineb.... aka benita... I just spelt it backwards lol

[old] ljwagner

General

Post by [old] ljwagner » October 29th, 2005, 2:59 am

Former 3 seat in club Frosh Heavy 8 U of Santa Clara in '71, rowed LW 4, JV 8, HV 4 (!) in later years there. I have a 70's era Pocock fiber glass trainer that has not seen a lake in about 10 years. Original model C2, bought in 1984, added the Perfomance Monitor.<br /><br />Wife, 2 girls, pay mortgage as systems rogrammer at a utility. Did some archery, a little poker, little fusball, swim in the summer, threw the girls in the pool until they were too heavy at 50 pounds. Taught Math for 6 years. Yard work, keep the roses coming year round. <br /><br />Broke a wrist Spring 2004, and re-habed that.<br /><br />Then with too little warm-up walking 15 flight of stairs at work for weeks, managed to strain my mitral valve and took 2 months doing nothing. Now alternating C2 cardio and my treadmill to re-hab my heart. Up to HR of 127-132 for cardio for 20 minutes, only at about 2:50 for 500m pace. Depressingly slow. But I do 10 minute warmup and cooldown. DO YOURS !<br /><br />Over the years picked up a Tunturi bicycle ergometer at a garage sale down the street for $30 in mint condition, and a set of dumbbells and rack mis-priced at Sportmart. The wrist re-hab went from 1# - 21# on wrist curls, 1# - 15# rev. wrist curls. Stronger than before I broke it.<br /><br /> Coached some in rowing (a little) and track. Do some weights for strength, since I used to be at 145 lbs, now at 154lbs. I got up to 159 before I did in my heart, the layoff cost me a fast 6 pounds. I struggle to not be thin. I dislike my wife's calling me skeletal. <br /><br />An author friend who wrote a tedious but very informative weight training book has got me into working at writing the short version of an exercise physiology book. He's an Egyptian doctor living in New Jersey. Mohamed El-Hewie. check his book on amazon.com. I if I seem to know a lot, or discount what someone else may state, its because I am collecting a lot of specific information, strictly from good research. I also ask him questions, and he either explains how I did something right, or catigates me for being an idiot. Its fun.<br /><br /> Was big into technique rowing in college, still row the same way, except I no longer have an oar to sky (my one permanent flaw/signature). When I scull, I can sky two !<br /><br />For those who want to learn scull, relax and get the technique, then trickle on the power. You'll spend less time figuring how to get back in the boat from the lake or river. That moment when the water appears vertical is really freaky, but then you're in it and the world is normal again. When you're going over, try to put your hands together. There's a chance you won't flip.