Cool Christmas Gifts ...

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 25th, 2005, 2:04 pm

Here's what I got from my wife and daughter ...<br /><br />They had been hearing me talk about people here like Mike and Xeno who are accomplished at what they do, who are very busy with their businesses and their careers, but who are still willing to share their expertise with others. They also heard me tell a friend that I would like to have Xeno do his stroke analysis for me by way of web cam and DVD.<br /><br />So ... they went one better ...<br /><br />My daughter (who is 15.5 but has traveled extensively with us since a tot and has her own frequent flyer accounts) donated her own frequent flyer miles for a free airline ticket for me to go to see Xeno in person for 2 days -- for his stroke analysis and lactate testing. I'm not sure when I will go -- likely sometime after the January 29th race in Cincinnati -- but I am really touched by the detective work they did, their contact with Xeno, and their creativity in putting together a very cool and inspiring gift for me. Mama agreed to pay for Xeno's services and the hotel room. I only need to pay for my beer!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Am I a lucky Dad & husband or what?<br /><br /> <br /><br />Merry Christmas &/or Happy Holidays to all!!!

[old] hennmart

General

Post by [old] hennmart » December 25th, 2005, 3:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 25 2005, 08:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 25 2005, 08:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here's what I got from my wife and daughter ...<br /><br />My daughter (who is 15.5 but has traveled extensively with us since a tot and has her own frequent flyer accounts) donated her own frequent flyer miles for a free airline ticket for me to go to see Xeno in person for 2 days -- for his stroke analysis and lactate testing.  I'm not sure when I will go -- likely sometime after the January 29th race in Cincinnati -- but I am really touched by the detective work they did, their contact with Xeno, and their creativity in putting together a very cool and inspiring gift for me.  Mama agreed to pay for Xeno's services and the hotel room.  I only need to pay for my beer!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Am I a lucky Dad & husband or what?<br /><br /> <br /><br />Merry Christmas &/or Happy Holidays to all!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Mark what a cool present! You must be a good father and husband <br /><br />And after the visit you will better every PB you have now.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] Rd2053

General

Post by [old] Rd2053 » December 26th, 2005, 7:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 25 2005, 02:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 25 2005, 02:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here's what I got from my wife and daughter ...<br /><br />They had been hearing me talk about people here like Mike and Xeno who are accomplished at what they do, who are very busy with their businesses and their careers, but who are still willing to share their expertise with others.  They also heard me tell a friend that I would like to have Xeno do his stroke analysis for me by way of web cam and DVD.<br /><br />So ... they went one better ...<br /><br />My daughter (who is 15.5 but has traveled extensively with us since a tot and has her own frequent flyer accounts) donated her own frequent flyer miles for a free airline ticket for me to go to see Xeno in person for 2 days -- for his stroke analysis and lactate testing.  I'm not sure when I will go -- likely sometime after the January 29th race in Cincinnati -- but I am really touched by the detective work they did, their contact with Xeno, and their creativity in putting together a very cool and inspiring gift for me.  Mama agreed to pay for Xeno's services and the hotel room.  I only need to pay for my beer!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Am I a lucky Dad & husband or what?<br /><br /> <br /><br />Merry Christmas &/or Happy Holidays to all!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Rd2053

General

Post by [old] Rd2053 » December 26th, 2005, 7:51 am

Good morning Mark. Personalized gifts that show how well they know your likes/dislikes/passions ARE the best. You are a lucky man. Hope you have a great trip and meet all of your rowing goals in 2006, or at least have fun trying . Bob.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 26th, 2005, 8:19 am

Thanks Bob ...

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 26th, 2005, 8:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Dec 25 2005, 03:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Dec 25 2005, 03:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->And after the visit you will better every PB    you have now. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hennie:<br /><br />I hope so!<br /><br />-- Mark

[old] ancho

General

Post by [old] ancho » December 26th, 2005, 10:33 am

Wish that Santa would also bring me a ticket to Costa Mesa <br />You are a lucky guy!

[old] nkoffler

General

Post by [old] nkoffler » December 27th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Mark-<br /><br />That is a wonderful gift. Enjoy your time with Xeno and in Costa Mesa and its environs. I'm from adjacent Newport Beach. Here are a handful of low cost/low key things to do in the area. Not necessarily highlights but worthwhile.<br /><br />1) Walk around Balboa Island<br />2) Take the Newport Ferry and walk to the end of the Pier.<br />3) Take in the view from the corner of Ocean Drive in CdM (overlooking the harbor entrance).<br />4) Eat at Taco Mesa<br />5) Eat at Original Pizza<br /><br />Enjoy,<br /><br />Neil

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 27th, 2005, 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-nkoffler+Dec 27 2005, 02:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(nkoffler @ Dec 27 2005, 02:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mark-<br /><br />That is a wonderful gift.  Enjoy your time with Xeno and in Costa Mesa and its environs.  I'm from adjacent Newport Beach.  Here are a handful of low cost/low key things to do in the area.  Not necessarily highlights but worthwhile.<br /><br />1)  Walk around Balboa Island<br />2)  Take the Newport Ferry and walk to the end of the Pier.<br />3)  Take in the view from the corner of Ocean Drive in CdM (overlooking the harbor entrance).<br />4)  Eat at Taco Mesa<br />5)  Eat at Original Pizza<br /><br />Enjoy,<br /><br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Neil, great suggestions!<br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 27th, 2005, 5:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 25 2005, 10:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 25 2005, 10:04 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->for me to go to see Xeno in person for 2 days[right] </td></tr></table><br />Be sure to get permission from Mike, so he doesn't get mad at you! <br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 27th, 2005, 5:18 pm

Is this part of the Wolverine Plan????????

[old] rspenger

General

Post by [old] rspenger » December 27th, 2005, 6:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-nkoffler+Dec 27 2005, 11:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(nkoffler @ Dec 27 2005, 11:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mark-<br />1)  Walk around Balboa Island<br />2)  Take the Newport Ferry and walk to the end of the Pier.<br />3)  Take in the view from the corner of Ocean Drive in CdM (overlooking the harbor entrance).<br />4)  Eat at Taco Mesa<br />5)  Eat at Original Pizza<br />Neil <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Addendum:<br />Visit the Newport Aquatic Center in Costa Mesa. In addition to rowing, it has paddling, both canoe and kayak.<br />Eat at Mother's Cafe inside Mother's Market (also in Costa Mesa, very near the Iron Oarsman)- both of them are popular health food destinations.<br />If there is a choice between airports, the one in Orange County ("John Wayne Airport") is only about 4 or 5 miles from the Iron Oarsman, whereas the big one in the area, LAX, is about an hour's drive in heavy freeway traffic. Long Beach Airport is another alternative. It is about halfway between LAX and Costa Mesa. It is close to the Long Beach Rowing Association where the "Beach Sprints" are to be held on the first Saturday of February. This event is one of the 20 CRASH-B satellite regattas.<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] nkoffler

General

Post by [old] nkoffler » December 28th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Bob sensibly wrote: <br /><br />"Eat at Mother's Cafe inside Mother's Market (also in Costa Mesa, very near the Iron Oarsman)- both of them are popular health food destinations."<br /><br />Just to be clear, Taco Mesa and Original Pizza are <i>not </i>health food destinations. <br /><br />Enjoy the trip.<br /><br />Neil<br />