Bursitis, Knee Wrapping And Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jsflynn603

General

Post by [old] jsflynn603 » December 15th, 2005, 2:32 pm

I shingled my house this fall and unfortunately it took a toll on my knees. I developed bursitis. Six weeks have passed, it seemed that the bursitis went away, and so a few days ago I started rowing again. Just 15 minutes the first day, and that seemed fine. I did 15 minutes the second day, but at higher intensity and now I have some slight bursitis again. Also on my R knee, just to the inside of the patella there is a tendon (quadriceps?) that sort of snaps mildly on each stroke.<br /><br />I'm an RN but know little about sports medicine and understand the RICE thing... <br /><br />Has anyone experience with wrapping the knee? This is often done for bursitis, but is it appropriate to wrap to help while rowing...? And would wrapping help the snappy tendon. The tendon doesn't hurt as it snaps, but I wonder about long term...<br /><br />Thanks

[old] efg

General

Post by [old] efg » December 15th, 2005, 2:38 pm

I use an elastic sleeve thing on my right knee, which never fully recovered from a long-distance walk (95 miles) a few years ago. It helps. If I don't wear it while rowing, my knee feels a bit sore ( just to the left of right patella), but it is fine by the next day.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] raymond botha

General

Post by [old] raymond botha » December 16th, 2005, 3:12 am

Hi , <br /><br />I've suffered various joint related problems through the years from gym work and have found MSM a fantastic supplement. Its cheap and reduces inflammation / pain, even stiffness after workouts. I think it has the same effect as Ibuprofen but is all natural and is completely harmless in that you can't over dose on it. They say it has less toxcicity than water !<br /><br />It works for me <br /><br />Ray

[old] raymond botha

General

Post by [old] raymond botha » December 16th, 2005, 3:14 am

Oh , forgot to mention , take it with some Vitamin C , it aids absobtion.

[old] ljwagner

General

Post by [old] ljwagner » December 16th, 2005, 11:16 am

The sleeve will help keep the bursa, a cushioning sac in place. Harder you row, more force pushing the sac out. My knee bursa poke out a lot, it looks odd, but doesn't hurt. <br /><br />I'll don't get knee snap unless I try to, but ankle snap is a way of life. I sound like I have castanets when I walk upstairs. I sound like I'm dropping ball bearings when walking in a pool.<br /><br />Any heavy weight work on my arms, and the elbows hurt a bit, arms then need a slow, hard straightening flex to generate a little elbow snap. But they feel better afterwards. I do the same for my knees now and then. I bend the knee fully, tighten the leg muscles around the knee, and, holding the muscle tension, straighten it out. They give a little snap, and the minor pain disappears. Its odd, but it makes them feel better. Same with the ankles.

[old] anomad

General

Post by [old] anomad » December 17th, 2005, 1:08 am

I was replying when my web browser conveiniently crashed....<br /><br /><br />I find that rowing with a shorter stroke and higher stroke rate is easier on my bad knee. Straps and wrapping have never really helped me, but every knee is different. If I reach all the way up then push off hard its too much force at too great of a bend for me. Applying full force at about 110 degrees of bend is about right.<br /><br />Earlier in the season I played with the "cool new high DF and low strojke rate". It was terrible for my knee, but took me a while to figure it out with my mostly flat learning curve.