Not Looking For Jlo, But...

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 12th, 2005, 8:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Niall+Dec 12 2005, 02:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Niall @ Dec 12 2005, 02:10 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good luck and for the record, JLo's butt could do with getting on a C2 indoor rower!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Amen ...

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 12th, 2005, 8:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 11 2005, 10:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 11 2005, 10:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->At the risk of restarting the flaming discussion I was in a few months ago, do take a look at the exercise section of the Crossfit site (the URL is in Mark's post up above).  There are many variations on the basic squat, both weighted and unweighted, there. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />OK, now I'm just too curious not to ask, and also too lazy to go do a search though old posts, so what was the "flaming debate" all about?

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 12th, 2005, 2:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 07:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 07:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 11 2005, 10:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 11 2005, 10:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->At the risk of restarting the flaming discussion I was in a few months ago, do take a look at the exercise section of the Crossfit site (the URL is in Mark's post up above).  There are many variations on the basic squat, both weighted and unweighted, there. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />OK, now I'm just too curious not to ask, and also too lazy to go do a search though old posts, so what was the "flaming debate" all about? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, the conversation was more or less along the lines of: <br />"Crossfit good?" <br />"Yes, for some people in some circumstances." <br />"NO!" <br />"Well, unconventional, but if you really look at what they are saying, it makes sense." <br />"Does not!" <br />"Why not?" <br />"Dangerous!" <br />"Well, not really." <br />"Is too!" <br />"Why?" <br />"Heavy weights. Olympic lifts. Squats." <br />"Have you really read through the site?" <br />"Yes! Dangerous." <br />"But they don't actually use really heavy weights." <br />"Do too!" <br />"Have you really read through the site?" <br />"I read the exercise section." <br />"Did you read the FAQ or the workout of the day?" <br />"Didn't need to. I read the exercise section. Dangerous. Crossfit bad."<br /><br />Okay, a little exaggerated, but it kind of degenerated. <br /><br />I figure that people will gravitate to the exercise program they desire or deserve, so I do what I do and leave others to their own devices. I pointed out that the information was out there and generated far more negative than positive responses -- although there were several rational participants in the discussion, so I don't want to tar everyone with the same brush.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 12th, 2005, 4:16 pm

Got it, let me translate into my words:<br /><br />"It's different than anything I've seen, and it looks like a whole lot of work and variety that I'm not used to, so I'll pass."<br /><br />I tried a few of the workouts. They are a complete workout (if you do a series of say a week). What I liked was the focus on functional strength.<br /><br />BTW, the towel pull ups are KILLER. It is unbelievable what muscles groups they work. If you do them, go a bit overboard so you can tell me where you get sore the most. <br /><br /> <br /><br />I was, frankly, amazed.

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 12th, 2005, 5:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 03:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 03:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->BTW, the towel pull ups are KILLER.  It is unbelievable what muscles groups they work.  If you do them, go a bit overboard so you can tell me where you get sore the most.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />You do seem to have the heart of a Crossfitter. "Hey, I know, why don't you go do something that will really hurt so we can compare pain." Yeah, that's <b><i>NORMAL</i></b>. That's one step beyond "Hold my beer. Watch this." You will hold my beer while I do them, won't you? Have you tried the Ruttman sandbag mile yet? <br /><br />Right now, I'm concentrating on "Recon Ron." I'm at step 22 (13, 9. 8, 7 7). By mid-April, I should be at Step 30 (18, 12, 10, 10, 10). Maybe after that, I'll add the towel pullups. Of course, by that time, I may have picked up some rope from Home Depot and braided myself a climbing rope. As an old sailor, I feel challenged by that 4-strand sinnett I mentioned above.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 12th, 2005, 7:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 12 2005, 05:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 12 2005, 05:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 03:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 03:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->BTW, the towel pull ups are KILLER.  It is unbelievable what muscles groups they work.  If you do them, go a bit overboard so you can tell me where you get sore the most.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />You do seem to have the heart of a Crossfitter. "Hey, I know, why don't you go do something that will really hurt so we can compare pain." Yeah, that's <b><i>NORMAL</i></b>. That's one step beyond "Hold my beer. Watch this." You will hold my beer while I do them, won't you? Have you tried the Ruttman sandbag mile yet? <br /><br />Right now, I'm concentrating on "Recon Ron." I'm at step 22 (13, 9. 8, 7 7). By mid-April, I should be at Step 30 (18, 12, 10, 10, 10). Maybe after that, I'll add the towel pullups. Of course, by that time, I may have picked up some rope from Home Depot and braided myself a climbing rope. As an old sailor, I feel challenged by that 4-strand sinnett I mentioned above. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have not done the sandbag mile (yet). Treadmill is broken (motor controller needs to be ordered), and I'm too sensible to let the neighbors see me hauling a sandbag around. Then they'll want me hauling their mulch bags in the spring!<br /><br />Hope the treadmill deck can handle the weight!<br /><br /> <br /><br />You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made. I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s). <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br />

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 13th, 2005, 11:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 14th, 2005, 8:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that.

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 14th, 2005, 9:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A perfect example of the old adages, "There's no honor among rednecks," and "A beer in the hand is mine." <br />

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 14th, 2005, 10:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A perfect example of the old adages, "There's no honor among rednecks," and "A beer in the hand is mine." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hold on a minute ... I have to finish this beer before I reply ...

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 14th, 2005, 1:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A perfect example of the old adages, "There's no honor among rednecks," and "A beer in the hand is mine." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hold on a minute ... I have to finish this beer before I reply ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Are you sitting on a rusty washing machine outside the trailer sucking down a PBR?

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 14th, 2005, 4:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 01:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 01:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A perfect example of the old adages, "There's no honor among rednecks," and "A beer in the hand is mine." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hold on a minute ... I have to finish this beer before I reply ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Are you sitting on a rusty washing machine outside the trailer sucking down a PBR? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How'd ya know???<br />

[old] Porkchop

General

Post by [old] Porkchop » December 14th, 2005, 7:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 01:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 01:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 09:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 14 2005, 09:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 14 2005, 07:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Porkchop+Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Porkchop @ Dec 13 2005, 11:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Dec 12 2005, 06:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You might be better off (cheaper?) just buying one (climbing rope) pre-made.  I believe they're all under $90, with hardware to mount them.<br /><br />And yes, I'll be the one HOLDING the beer while you do the exercise(s).  <u>Never </u>expect it to be the other way around!<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Buying it would just be too easy.<br /><br />As long as there's beer left for me when I get done, you can be my holder. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Can't promise that. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />A perfect example of the old adages, "There's no honor among rednecks," and "A beer in the hand is mine." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hold on a minute ... I have to finish this beer before I reply ... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Are you sitting on a rusty washing machine outside the trailer sucking down a PBR? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How'd ya know??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Takes one to know one.