Falsified Rowers

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] starliner

General

Post by [old] starliner » December 7th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Has anyone else paid notice to the unusual number of "rowers" from the country "ARE" (from the cities, I make that out to be Egypt) that have shown up on the first couple pages of the 10,000 meter board? I do not recall seeing them on there last season, and suddenly a whole clan of them are in the top 20 or so spots. And in recent days, several more have appeared on the second page as well. They drop in out of nowhere, which makes me highly suspicious someone is falsifying data and in turn, engaging in deception, not only on the honest rowers who use these boards for keeping track and staying motivated, but upon Concept 2 as well.<br /><br />Perhaps if enough people make comment, the Concept 2 folks can look into this. I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt.

[old] Citroen

General

Post by [old] Citroen » December 7th, 2005, 2:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why not? They have one of the World's largest rivers on their doorstep.

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 7th, 2005, 2:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Dec 7 2005, 02:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Dec 7 2005, 02:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why not? They have one of the World's largest rivers on their doorstep. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />And is there not a large Brit ex-patriate community there as well, who might have rowed at home and now row in Egypt?

[old] hjs

General

Post by [old] hjs » December 7th, 2005, 2:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Dec 7 2005, 07:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Dec 7 2005, 07:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why not? They have one of the World's largest rivers on their doorstep. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />It could be possible. maybe they didn,t know this site before.

[old] R S T

General

Post by [old] R S T » December 7th, 2005, 2:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Has anyone else paid notice to the unusual number of "rowers" from the country "ARE" (from the cities, I make that out to be Egypt) that have shown up on the first couple pages of the 10,000 meter board?  I do not recall seeing them on there last season, and suddenly a whole clan of them are in the top 20 or so spots.  And in recent days, several more have appeared on the second page as well.  They drop in out of nowhere, which makes me highly suspicious someone is falsifying data and in turn, engaging in deception, not only on the honest rowers who use these boards for keeping track and staying motivated, but upon Concept 2 as well.<br /><br />Perhaps if enough people make comment, the Concept 2 folks can look into this.  I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why are you bothered Starliner? Does it really matter if some people choose to 'make up' times/metres? <br /><br />

[old] ehagberg

General

Post by [old] ehagberg » December 7th, 2005, 3:09 pm

I got a response from one of these guys once - he claimed his coach told them they were rowing 100km (that's 100,000m) a day on the water.<br /><br />He later said that the distances might've been exaggerated (when I pointed out how long that would take, even in a really fast eight, never stopping to turn), but never corrected them, IIRC.<br /><br />For all we know, they really do row that much (perhaps a combination of on-water and erging)... but like others, I have my doubts.

[old] ehagberg

General

Post by [old] ehagberg » December 7th, 2005, 3:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-R S T+Dec 7 2005, 01:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(R S T @ Dec 7 2005, 01:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Why are you bothered Starliner? Does it really matter if some people choose to 'make up' times/metres? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you're one of the folks on the first page, you might be upset as well. If you've been putting in real distances and are near the top of the board, but 5 or 6 people who you've got strong suspicions are fabricating their numbers are ahead of you on the Annual Meters Board... well, it at least irks me a bit.<br /><br />I usually don't even count them and ignore them when counting where I am on the board - subtracting out their entries as if they don't exist.

[old] anomad

General

Post by [old] anomad » December 7th, 2005, 3:49 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 01:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 01:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />A quick google search turns up all kind of articles about rowing in Egypt. Its a natural with their two coastlines plus the Nile. Could be they just found out about the website. <br /><br />To further deflate your bubble, I have had the pleasure of knowing a number of North Africans (from Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco) with gifted athletic ability.

[old] ehagberg

General

Post by [old] ehagberg » December 7th, 2005, 4:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-anomad+Dec 7 2005, 02:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anomad @ Dec 7 2005, 02:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To further deflate your bubble, I have had the pleasure of knowing a number of North Africans (from Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco) with gifted athletic ability. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />However, these particular individuals were among the group of rowers who each had logged over 1 million meters in the first 4 or 6 days (or something outrageous like that) of the 2006 season.<br /><br />That was clearly a fiction, and so makes their current totals also suspect.

[old] anomad

General

Post by [old] anomad » December 7th, 2005, 4:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ehagberg+Dec 7 2005, 03:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ehagberg @ Dec 7 2005, 03:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-anomad+Dec 7 2005, 02:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anomad @ Dec 7 2005, 02:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To further deflate your bubble, I have had the pleasure of knowing a number of North Africans (from Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco) with gifted athletic ability. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />However, these particular individuals were among the group of rowers who each had logged over 1 million meters in the first 4 or 6 days (or something outrageous like that) of the 2006 season.<br /><br />That was clearly a fiction, and so makes their current totals also suspect. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hmm, I see your point. <br />They would have to have been rowing 8's downstream on the Yukon at high flow for 5 days without stopping.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 7th, 2005, 4:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ehagberg+Dec 7 2005, 12:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ehagberg @ Dec 7 2005, 12:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->However, these particular individuals were among the group of rowers who each had logged over 1 million meters in the first 4 or 6 days (or something outrageous like that) of the 2006 season.<br /><br />That was clearly a fiction, and so makes their current totals also suspect.[right] </td></tr></table><br /><br />I agree and remember the comment about their totals being exaggerated.<br /><br />Perhaps they sunbathe a few hours and count that for 200 kilometers.<br /><br />It's not the same as for those of us who are really putting in the meters, and disrespects the efforts of those of us who are putting in our actual meters.<br /><br />In any case, they have no place participating, since their input is not accurate and nowhere in the ballpark of what they have actually done, if anything.<br />

[old] R S T

General

Post by [old] R S T » December 7th, 2005, 4:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ehagberg+Dec 7 2005, 07:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ehagberg @ Dec 7 2005, 07:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-R S T+Dec 7 2005, 01:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(R S T @ Dec 7 2005, 01:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Why are you bothered Starliner? Does it really matter if some people choose to 'make up' times/metres? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you're one of the folks on the first page, you might be upset as well. If you've been putting in real distances and are near the top of the board, but 5 or 6 people who you've got strong suspicions are fabricating their numbers are ahead of you on the Annual Meters Board... well, it at least irks me a bit.<br /><br />I usually don't even count them and ignore them when counting where I am on the board - subtracting out their entries as if they don't exist. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I do not actually log my metres, but I think I understand the mind set of someone who does.<br /><br />The number of metres rowed is not important in itself - unless you put that focus on your rowing. <br /><br />My point is that it does not matter what others are doing - especially if it is clear that they are logging false times/metres. What is important is what you are doing yourself, relative to your own goals etc.<br /><br />I suspect there are more than a few folk who are logging false times. Difficult to stop when having such an 'open' and 'available' web site such as this. Bear in mind as well that there are many others who do not log at all (I used to think being in the top 10% was a nice statistic, but really it was a misleading statistic on my erg ability).<br /><br />Cheers<br />Richard

[old] Jef

General

Post by [old] Jef » December 7th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Is there anything to win at the end of the season for being top metreage rower? I log my metres but couldn't see the point in falsifying any of them as , in the end, I'm lying to just myself. I tell others about my distances and times but let's face it. No one is overly bothered.<br /><br />..now, if there's a prize at stake...

[old] rspenger

General

Post by [old] rspenger » December 7th, 2005, 5:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Dec 7 2005, 11:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Dec 7 2005, 11:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-starliner+Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(starliner @ Dec 7 2005, 06:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a strong suspicion indoor rowing is not an activity one would find in Egypt. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why not? They have one of the World's largest rivers on their doorstep. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That, together with their low latitude, is an excellent reason for <br /><b>not</b> taking up <b>indoor</b> rowing. Why bother with a bloody erg when there is real rowing available?<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] Jef

General

Post by [old] Jef » December 7th, 2005, 5:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Dec 7 2005, 10:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Dec 7 2005, 10:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->That, together with their low latitude, is an excellent reason for <br /><b>not</b> taking up <b>indoor</b> rowing. Why bother with a bloody erg when there is real rowing available?<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Bloody erg??? there's something almost sacrilegious in this remark surely?