C2's 24 Rowing Workouts

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Dragone
Paddler

C2's 24 Rowing Workouts

Post by Dragone » April 5th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Hi! I am a beginner. Worked out at the gym on a model C and loved it. Started using C2's 24 Workouts from their web site. Now bought my own model D and am working out in the morning before work.

Question for the group: can I use C2's 24 Rowing Workouts
http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ts0903.pdf as a basis for a weight loss program or is it just a cross training fitness program? I like the way it tells you exactly what to do and how hard to exercise, but it has a lot of interval training and I heard that weight loss required "long rows"?

Any help in sheding some light on this issue would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

BobD
1k Poster

Post by BobD » April 6th, 2006, 2:09 am

Weight Loss = More calories burned than calories eaten. Therefore it's the total calories burned in exercise whether long and low effort or short and high effort. 1000 calories is 1000 calories no matter how you look at it.

That being said, after about 30 minutes you have burned all the stored glycogen and are starting to burn FAT.
Bob in Munich
84yrs, 85 kilos or 187 pounds, 185 cm or
6ft I Row and I ride my E-Bike.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » April 6th, 2006, 4:36 am

BobD wrote:Weight Loss = More calories burned than calories eaten. Therefore it's the total calories burned in exercise whether long and low effort or short and high effort. 1000 calories is 1000 calories no matter how you look at it.

That being said, after about 30 minutes you have burned all the stored glycogen and are starting to burn FAT.
The use of glycogeen depends on the fitnesslevel and intensetie. The fitter a person the more fat they use and the lower the intensetie the more fat you use. Glycogeen is not used up in 30 min more like 90 min. This depends also on howmuch you have stored. If you are on a low carb diet you will certainly reach the point of low glocogenlevels sooner.

I do agree that it is most a matter of burning more then eating them.
Stay low on the refined carbs, eat often and little portions, eat lots of vegie's, exercise often and not to long and not to intense.

Rendog
Paddler

Post by Rendog » April 7th, 2006, 10:44 am

My question is, on the model D, there is a list of custom workouts on the PM3, where can I get an explaination for each one of these workouts? Thanks

pduck
Paddler

Re: C2's 24 Rowing Workouts

Post by pduck » April 7th, 2006, 11:03 am

Dragone wrote:Hi! I am a beginner. Worked out at the gym on a model C and loved it. Started using C2's 24 Workouts from their web site. Now bought my own model D and am working out in the morning before work.

Question for the group: can I use C2's 24 Rowing Workouts
http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... ts0903.pdf as a basis for a weight loss program or is it just a cross training fitness program? I like the way it tells you exactly what to do and how hard to exercise, but it has a lot of interval training and I heard that weight loss required "long rows"?

Any help in sheding some light on this issue would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Even though long rows burn more calories than interval workouts while you are working, body fat loss can be greater from intervals. This is because of the "afterburn" effect. Intervals raise your metabolism higher than the long easy rows and it stays elevated for many hours after you are done. Try googling HIIT (for high intensity interval training) for the reaearch that has been done on intervals and fat loss.

Note- you need to be in shape to get much out of HIIT. Stick with C2's plan
[color=darkred][size=75]M53 5'10 175lbs
Am I the only slow rower here?[/size][/color]

Dragone
Paddler

thanks!

Post by Dragone » April 7th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies. Will stick to C2's 24 workouts and will let you guys know how it goes.