Paul Smith's 5:36.8 For The 2k

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Neb154

General

Post by [old] Neb154 » August 29th, 2005, 1:11 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 28 2005, 08:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 28 2005, 08:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neb,<br /><br />Well he stated that his PB is a 5:36.8.<br /><br />Not that he rowed a time on a model A that doesn't mean anything.<br /><br />Approximately half of those posting on this thread so far think the times are equivalent. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />John,<br /><br />Still looking for that quote.<br /><br />PaulS,<br /><br />If you ever rowed something close to that, not doubting or anything, i just don't know, congratulations.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 29th, 2005, 1:41 am

Neb,<br /><br />Here is Paul's quote.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Aug 25 2005, 04:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Aug 25 2005, 04:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My PR was a 5:36.8[right] </td></tr></table><br />I'll add you to the list of those who believe, based on his assertions, that he has rowed 5:36.8 for the 2k.<br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 29th, 2005, 1:44 am

There are now 6 out of 9 who believe Paul Smith's 5:36.8 is the equivalent of rowing the same time on a model D.<br /><br />Only one person has stated it is not the same thing.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » August 29th, 2005, 1:48 am

<!--QuoteBegin-swavo1+Aug 28 2005, 08:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(swavo1 @ Aug 28 2005, 08:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I highly doubt in the first place anyone would lay claim to a time that could be a world record and never actually have done it!  Secondly, we're not 100% sure if the time for the A translates to a C/D.  Either way, sounds like an amazing time and I just hope I'll even come close to that someday.[right] </td></tr></table><br />Yes, I agree that doing such a thing would indeed be quite doubtful.<br /><br />All the best in your quest for fast times!

[old] Polaco

General

Post by [old] Polaco » August 29th, 2005, 4:19 am

John:<br /><br />It seems that you have the ability to understand (or misunderstand) others opinions or statements so I assume that it's totally irrelevant the language used to talk with you and I will switch to Spanish that is easier for me:<br /><i>Mira John, deja de decir tonterías de una vez, nadie te cree, nadie está a tu favor y lo único que haces es aumentar la opinión generalizada de que eres un trastornado. <br />Ahora bien, si en el fondo lo que de verdad eres es un cachondo que te estás riendo de todos nosotros me quito el sombrero.<br /><br />Por cierto apúntame en la lista de los que creen que Paul no miente.<br /><br />Un cordial saludo</i>

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » August 29th, 2005, 8:20 am

Well, let's answer the main questions first:<br /><br />World Record: <br />Nope, 5 miles was the Official test distance at the time (1984) and the WR was held by John Biglow (7:21, IIRC), so this would be like having a "World Record" for something other than 2k these days. My 5 mile time in 1992 (Rookie year with about 3 months in a boat under my belt was 8:02), a reasonable starting place, but as we all know, training changes things in a couple years.<br /><br />Is it Bogus:<br />I suppose it could have been a little quicker with electronic timing, those darn cox's always waited until they were good and sure the ODO was stopped at 4.0. <br /><br />Other Data at the time that may shed some light on the overall picture.<br />I was 21, not 43.<br />Didn't have a Broken Back.<br />VO2Max = 7.1 l/min (University Physiology Lab, Cycle Ergometer)<br />Weight 205lbs<br />Resting HR = 39, Max HR=212 (Cardiac stress test on Treadmill and EKG)<br />Tuesdays Winter Leg workout, Leg Press: 1 set 360lbs of 200 full range reps in 6 minutes, no pausing; 7 min rest; 1 set 380lbs of 200 full range reps in 6 minutes, no pausing; Best attempt at making it back to the dorm for a shower. <br /><br />Cheers!

[old] R S T

General

Post by [old] R S T » August 29th, 2005, 8:39 am

PaulS<br /><br />Thanks for providing more info on this - it must have been hard to not reply to John R's ranting and complete madness. <br /><br />Anyway, I was wondering if I may ask you a question in relation to your own erg training.....are you currently training to improve you 2k PB or do you just use the erg to keep in shape? Also, what do you believe you could manage these days if you had a fair crack at it? (assuming the constraints of your back injury).<br /><br />Cheers<br />RichardT

[old] gw1

General

Post by [old] gw1 » August 29th, 2005, 8:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Other Data at the time that may shed some light on the overall picture.<br />I was 21, not 43.<br />Didn't have a Broken Back.<br />VO2Max = 7.1 l/min (University Physiology Lab, Cycle Ergometer)<br />Weight 205lbs<br />Resting HR = 39, Max HR=212 (Cardiac stress test on Treadmill and EKG)<br />Tuesdays Winter Leg workout, Leg Press: 1 set 360lbs of 200 full range reps in 6 minutes, no pausing; 7 min rest; 1 set 380lbs of 200 full range reps in 6 minutes, no pausing; Best attempt at making it back to the dorm for a shower.  </td></tr></table><br /><br />Paul,<br /><br />Great stats! <br /><br />GW

[old] bhutz

General

Post by [old] bhutz » August 29th, 2005, 10:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 29 2005, 12:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 29 2005, 12:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Neb,<br /><br />Here is Paul's quote.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Aug 25 2005, 04:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Aug 25 2005, 04:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My PR was a 5:36.8[right] </td></tr></table><br />I'll add you to the list of those who believe, based on his assertions, that he has rowed 5:36.8 for the 2k. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Come now John, you can't really be using that as evidence that Paul claims his PB is 5:36.8 for 2k on a Model C/D equivalent. For example I could say with complete veracity "My PR was a 1:29.3."<br /><br />Now before you go assinging me a WR too, as this is the same piece of evidence you are using for your argument about Paul, you probably want to consider the added detail of that being over 500m even though it was on a model C...<br /><br />If you really want anyone to take you seriously on this you need to find some evidence that is at least somewhat reasonable. ie. it should include the time, distance, and claim that it is equivalent, NOT just the time.<br /><br /> Ben

[old] bmoore

General

Post by [old] bmoore » August 29th, 2005, 10:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Aug 28 2005, 03:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Aug 28 2005, 03:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Those below believe Paul Smith did not do 5:36.8 for the 2k.<br /><br />Gary Wise<br /><br />Those below have not said whether they think he did it, or not.<br /><br />Coach Gus<br />csabour<br /><br />The following posters think Paul Smith has done a 5:36.8 for the 2k.<br /><br />Mark Keating<br />Slo Boat<br />R S T<br />Bill Moore<br />Dwayne Adams<br />Neb154 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry John, but I don't think I said that.<br /><br />Paul stated he did a 5:36.8 for a 4 mile on a model A. He also talked about how the timing was done back then, which has to introduce some margin of error. All Paul knew was that he did a heck of a workout, and the people later told him it was a 5:36.8. This doesn't compare to what the PMs can give us now, so the timing isn't really verified with the today's standard of evidence.<br /><br />I also read from one of the engineers at C2 that the gearing would mean that 1 mile on one version of the old machine was the equivalent of 500m. There is no way Paul rowed 4 miles in that time, so it had to be something less. All I have to go on is the postings from people here instead of experience on the Model A. (Although I recall rowing on one in college, and really hating the machine!) Perhaps he was on the machine with the other gearing. Who knows.<br /><br />My comment was directed at someone to put his time in context of being a very fast time, but it was not to establish the time as an absolute equivalent to a 2k on today's machines. Sorry for the confusion.

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » August 29th, 2005, 11:05 am

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that John's not making a whole lot of sense??<br /><br />John....for the love of Pete.....stop...stop now!!!

[old] Pete Marston

General

Post by [old] Pete Marston » August 29th, 2005, 11:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Aug 29 2005, 03:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Aug 29 2005, 03:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that John's not making a whole lot of sense??<br /><br />John....for the love of Pete.....stop...stop now!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey, don't bring me into this!

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » August 29th, 2005, 11:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-R S T+Aug 29 2005, 05:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(R S T @ Aug 29 2005, 05:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->PaulS<br /><br />Thanks for providing more info on this - it must have been hard to not reply to John R's ranting and complete madness. <br /><br />Anyway, I was wondering if I may ask you a question in relation to your own erg training.....are you currently training to improve you 2k PB or do you just use the erg to keep in shape? Also, what do you believe you could manage these days if you had a fair crack at it? (assuming the constraints of your back injury).<br /><br />Cheers<br />RichardT <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I haven't been on the Erg for training in nearly 8 months, except for the very rare piece, we've been fortunate enough to get a lot of days on the water and have about 1.5million meters recorded there. I'm not really focused on the Erg 2k at this point and the last time I did a pair of tests (500m and 2500m) almost 2 years ago, I was pleased with the results, but caused enough damage at the time to halt training and be very uncomfortable for several months. (I'm a slow learner when it comes to taking my own advice.) When I first got back on the Erg after 17 years, July 9, 2001 I was in pretty horrible shape, in 6 months my 500M time was 1:24, and things have progessed since then. I never thought I was going to be able to row again, so my main focus is to regain a workable fitness, avoid injury, and continue with the perfect search for the endless stroke.<br /><br />To address another issue that was brought up, the time I'm recalling here was definitely as "officially" done as could be at the time, it was the team test and I have no doubt that it was as carefully and uniformly run as the coach could make it, with properly set up Machines, attentive coxswains, and carefully recorded times. The Pickup on the machine was the newer type (the old one had been replaced more than a year before.) We didn't really have anything to equate it to at the time (except eachother, next hwt 6:02, best lwt 6:20), however the same calculations for Watts was something we could do, and the later development of Electronic PM's that made the various equivalencies come into play was still the unknown. That the "official distance" would change some 10 years later was not known, and that the numbers would end up coinciding some 20 years later was certainly not known. My suspiscion is still that there are some extrememly fast times out there that are not reported, some that would be quite a shock to the normal Erging community.

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » August 29th, 2005, 11:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Pete Marston+Aug 29 2005, 10:46 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Pete Marston @ Aug 29 2005, 10:46 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-dadams+Aug 29 2005, 03:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ Aug 29 2005, 03:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that John's not making a whole lot of sense??<br /><br />John....for the love of Pete.....stop...stop now!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey, don't bring me into this! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Sorry Pete.<br /><br />Ok....for the love of everything sacred....stop...stop now!!!

[old] Neb154

General

Post by [old] Neb154 » August 29th, 2005, 11:59 am

John,<br /><br /> You still cannot get through your incredibly thick skull, that when I say give me a quote, in full context where PaulS states that his Personal Best, for 2000 Meters on a erg comprable to the Model C/D, is 5:36.8. You still only provide the same hackneyed quote taken out of context to describe his PR on the Model A for 4 miles. Admit your faults and stop trying to declare yourself the righteous "defedner of truth" on this forum. Also, I'd like to see a quote of myself saying directly that I 100% believe PaulS pulled a 5:36.8 on a Model A erg in the distance of 4 miles. You used the same egregious technique of quoting to dscribe my beliefs of PaulS pulling a 5:36.8 for a 2000 meter piece on a Model C/D. Get some evidence for your thougths, or just don't share them at all.<br /><br />Post Scriptum : John, How about finding an answer for why it wouldn't even matter if the times were equivalent, because the requirements for the WR would not allow it to even count?