New To Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » July 15th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Grandma's advice: Another thing to remember is that your recovery time should be about twice as long as your stroke time, and you shouldn't have your resistance set too high. <br /><br />I find if I rush my recovery and/or I have my resistance set too high for me my stroke rate goes up and my 500m ave time goes up too. Its just not as efficient.<br /><br />Of course this is for doing training pieces. In competiton most folks increase their stroke rate, however by the time they get to Ergmania they have done a lot of strapless 10spm in training.<br /><br /> grams

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 15th, 2005, 4:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zac+Jul 14 2005, 01:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zac @ Jul 14 2005, 01:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks John! [right] </td></tr></table><br />You're welcome Zac! <br />

[old] kjjpdx

General

Post by [old] kjjpdx » July 15th, 2005, 4:37 pm

[quote=Zac,Jul 12 2005, 12:08 PM]<br />Hi everyone,<br />Hi Joe,<br />Row2k.com used to post all these great workouts on their website but I didn't see them just now. Anyway, if you can get a list of different workouts you can see/feel how much working at different spms can be. The most important thing about getting used to a certain spm (I think) is if you're ever in a boat with other rowers you have to be able to pace at a certain spm right when the cox directs the boat to. <br />Some good workouts I like involving different spms:<br />Power 20s: Do power 20s at different spms starting at 18, then 20, 22, etc up to 36 and then back down. In between each power 20 row 20 strokes really easy, at about a 14 spm. <br />Ladders/Castle: Set your erg for 20 or 30 min and row for 2 min at 18, 2 @ 20, etc up to wherever time allows and then back down. Or, start around a 20, then do 24/26/24/26 until 2 min left, then go back down to 20 for the last 2 min.<br /><br />Another fun thing to do is to set your monitor to meters/stroke and look at how many meters you are going at an 18, compare to m/s at a 24, and at a 36. You'll see that you go further at a slower spm (hopefully) because you're putting more power in each stroke.<br /><br />Sorry this is so long but I hope this will help you out.