Foot Position

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 2nd, 2005, 9:02 pm

Have read some previous posts regarding whether the feet should be high (more power) or low (longer stroke length). Seeing as my stroke length is shorter anyway due to my height would I gain more from increasing the stroke length (lower setting) or more from increasing the power (higher setting)? At the moment I've got two holes showing on a Model C.<br /><br />Sorry if these are basic questions but I'm new to this (as you can see from my times).<br /><br />Roger

[old] holm188

General

Post by [old] holm188 » May 2nd, 2005, 9:29 pm

Roger,<br /><br />Try to find the height of your feet that makes your shin vertical at the catch (i.e. knee over not in front of ankle).<br />You can also look up the stroke descriptions on the concept2 websites.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/fullbody.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/fullbody.asp</a><br /><br />Hope that helps,<br />Holm

[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 2nd, 2005, 9:32 pm

Holm<br /><br />I guess I need to go higher then as I tend to go beyond vertical.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Roger

[old] Rob Collings

General

Post by [old] Rob Collings » May 3rd, 2005, 8:22 am

It isn't quite that simple - changing the height of the feet also changes your body position. You may be flexible enough to raise the feet and still keep the compression, but raising the feet will reduce your ability to get a forward rotation of the pelvis at the finish. If you think about it, you can acheive a given angle between legs and body. Raising the feet rotates this angle backwards and reduces your reach.<br /><br />Without seeing your stroke, I'd say that yes, you are overcompressing but it may be that you simply need to learn to take the catch a bit shorter or it may be that your foot position is wrong. What size are your feet?<br /><br />Rob.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 3rd, 2005, 10:55 am

Mine are set for 3 holes showing.<br /><br />I actually like the lower settings as, like Rob pointed out, that gives me a wider range of rotation from my hips.<br /><br />The problem with that though, is it increases the angle from my shoulders to toes, vs shoulders to the axle. The greater this angle, the greater I'd be driving meaninglessfully from space, rather than a powerful line from the balls of my feet. This is compounded by my having relatively long/er legs, and a shorter torso.<br /><br />For example, Ranger is at least 3 inches taller than me, but his inseam is an inch or two less than mine. This means a high axle doesn't open that angle nearly as much for him, and other tall/er rowers, as it does for me and others of my height and less. This isn't a problem on the water, as the rigging can be adjusted in boats. But the model C and D axle height is not adjustable, making this a major problem on the erg.<br /><br />I did experiment with the settings a few days ago, and this is exactly what happened. Not wanting any rib injuries, and to keep at least a balance of force driving from my hips and legs rather than chest, I kept the foot plates up higher.<br /><br />Thus the 3 holes setting is a compromise.

[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 3rd, 2005, 11:25 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rob Collings+May 3 2005, 01:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rob Collings @ May 3 2005, 01:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What size are your feet?<br /><br />Rob. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Size 7 UK (8 US)<br /><br />Roger

[old] nfeht

General

Post by [old] nfeht » May 3rd, 2005, 1:30 pm

im 5' 8.5" (68.5inches) and need it with 3 holes on the top. -i duno if this helps

[old] Rob Collings

General

Post by [old] Rob Collings » May 4th, 2005, 7:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roger+May 3 2005, 10:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roger @ May 3 2005, 10:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Rob Collings+May 3 2005, 01:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rob Collings @ May 3 2005, 01:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What size are your feet?<br /><br />Rob. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Size 7 UK (8 US)<br /><br />Roger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think that will put your feet awfully low. I have mine in the same place, but my feet are size 10 (UK). Try raising your feet and see how it feels.<br /><br />Rob.

[old] Roger

General

Post by [old] Roger » May 4th, 2005, 12:11 pm

<br />Went to 4 holes showing, puts my ankle bone in line with the top rail. Felt I was making more use of my legs and afterwards I could feel the lower back had been worked. I'll keep it at that setting for a while to see the effect it has.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Roger

[old] Manda

General

Post by [old] Manda » May 26th, 2005, 11:09 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roger+May 3 2005, 02:02 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roger @ May 3 2005, 02:02 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Have read some previous posts regarding whether the feet should be high (more power) or low (longer stroke length).  [right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You see the top of the footplate? The top of your toes should be in line with the top of the footplate. Adjust foot height accordingly.

[old] Cran

General

Post by [old] Cran » May 26th, 2005, 11:28 am

putting the feet higher can give more power, but it can also screw your back...<br /><br />do what works best for you without injuring yourself.<br /><br />

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » May 26th, 2005, 11:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roger+May 2 2005, 05:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roger @ May 2 2005, 05:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Have read some previous posts regarding whether the feet should be high (more power) or low (longer stroke length).  Seeing as my stroke length is shorter anyway due to my height would I gain more from increasing the stroke length (lower setting) or more from increasing the power (higher setting)?  At the moment I've got two holes showing on a Model C.<br /><br />Sorry if these are basic questions but I'm new to this (as you can see from my times).<br /><br />Roger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Let's put it this way, when boat designing included the element of Art and Function, the heel cups were placed a certain height below the level of the seat (when the seat was at the catch position), this never changed, within reasonable height ranges for the rowers (5'9 - 6'6"). So troubling ourselves too much about this is likely much ado about nothing.<br /><br />That said, a setting where the ball of the foot is near the height of the railing is what could be termed "normal", but the most important thing is to not do something which is going to get you injured. You do want a long stroke, so going high would be a mistake, IMO, and I truly doubt that it gains any "power", at least in force generation terms.<br />

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 26th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Roger,<br /><br />You're blazing along to have a 1:35 for 500 meters already. I'm sure all your other times will be improving greatly as well.<br /><br />I had put the foot plates to 2 or 3 holes showing, from last summer through May 3 of this year. Prior to that, I always had the foot plates at the top and set 9 of 10 PB's that way. Three things got me to put them back to the top again, i.e. with 5 holes showing. <br /><br />#1 these threads:<br /><br />100m Sprint Technique Question...<br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=1898&hl=' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... hl=</a><br /><br />500m Sprint Technique<br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=2001&hl=' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... hl=</a><br /><br />#2 consideration of axle (rigging) height as related to the balls of the feet and the shoulders.<br /><br />#3 focusing on body position at the finish of the stroke, rather than the catch.<br /><br />Rowers with less torso height need to have the foot plates high. Otherwise the feet and body angle will be too low at the end of the stroke. This is the same for the 100 and 500, as it is for all other distances.

[old] 2Big2Cox

General

Post by [old] 2Big2Cox » June 14th, 2005, 5:23 pm

My novice coach told me “if you are having knee pains while erging your feet are too high.” Just go with what feels right.

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 14th, 2005, 6:30 pm

From Peter Haining, 3 time lightweight single sculling world champion:<br /><br />"When I was sculling internationally, the pre-eminent lightweight sculler was a Dutchman called Frans Göbel.<br /><br />"I watched Frans scull – his feet were high and steep.<br /><br />"I started edging my feet up and my leg power became more horizontal"