Row Pain, Row Gain - Come on back everybody.

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
lowwall
Paddler

Row Pain, Row Gain - Come on back everybody.

Post by lowwall » April 5th, 2006, 2:46 am

Let's get the old conversation flowing again.

I just checked the Row Pain, Row Gain detail and found to my great surprise that I am now the meter leader. I'll be on a scuba diving trip for the next couple of weeks, so Charles will have a chance to regain his throne :D

My motivation has been to get back on the 10k/day board, which I did once before in my first full year of erging (2003 season). I still haven't met my weight loss goals, because I have a real problem controlling my intake. But I shudder to think how fat I'd have gotten if I didn't start exercising seriously.

Alex Frakt

For anyone who's not already aware. The Row Pain, Row Gain virtual team was created to give those of us erging for weight a place to hang out. You can join up just by editing your personal profile.

Meri
Paddler

Post by Meri » April 5th, 2006, 6:19 pm

I've really appreciated the feedback from this group, but am wondering any 'weight-loss' team might be destined to be short lived. Frankly, I'm considering joining another team when the season ends, partly because we've lost a number of members already, and partly because it appears many of the members are not rowing and/or not logging their meters. I certainly have no hard feelings, but have gathered a lot of information from other members on other teams about fittness, training and weight loss via other threads. I have enjoyed seeing my meters add up and have passed up quite a few people, which probably wouldn't happen on other teams as easily. Although I'm not really competative by nature, it would be fun to have a bit more competition from others on the team (thanks Rod and Rod Sr.!). Just my thoughts. I look forward to the comments of others.
Meri

deppe4
Paddler

Post by deppe4 » April 6th, 2006, 9:07 am

There will always be people who are rowing to lose weight and want to be on a team with others in a similiar boat. That's what I see team Row Pain Row Gain as being here for. And I imagine the team will always have a moderate turnaround of members.

As to people not rowing that seems to be a recurring comment...really, it comes down to what are your expectations for yourself and from the team you've joined.

BTW, does anyone know if we're going to get our "original" thread back? It had alot of useful info in it.

-deppe4
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you. - Emreson

Shepherd
Paddler

Post by Shepherd » April 6th, 2006, 11:37 am

IIRC, I suggested the name for the group, I should probably join it. :) Do you have to row every day, or is my sporadic couple-days-a-week (part of a broader program) all right?
Comics, fiction, blogging and way,WAY more: [url=http://shep.ca]visit shep.ca![/url]

lowwall
Paddler

Post by lowwall » April 6th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Shepherd wrote:IIRC, I suggested the name for the group, I should probably join it. :) Do you have to row every day, or is my sporadic couple-days-a-week (part of a broader program) all right?
So it's your fault, is it? :D Just sign up, there's no requirements at all.

Meri
Paddler

April challenge

Post by Meri » April 10th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Row pain, row gain team members are varied, it appears, with the common desire of weight loss. Some row a lot, some occasionally. Thanks to all who have provided friendly encouragement. Anyone on the team up for the April marathon challenge? I've done 3 half marathons, not sure I'm up for a full, but might give it a try.
Meri

deppe4
Paddler

Post by deppe4 » April 11th, 2006, 9:01 am

I've been wanting to row a half-marathon but I keep psyching myself out. So maybe this will be my push to finally do one.
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you. - Emreson

Mike A
Paddler

Post by Mike A » April 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

I just started rowing about two months ago and am learning as I go. I just figured out the virtual team concept and joined Row Pain, Row Gain team. My main goal in starting rowing in the first place was to loose weight. Back problems have kept me from running for many months and I'd gained over 10 pounds. Since starting rowing in February, I've lost 7 pounds. My goal is about another 8-10.

I did try a half marathon about two weeks ago. It was painful, especially toward the end. (no pun, I guess). Anyhow, I'm going to lower the resistance and not worry about time, and try the full marathon next week.

SpaCityBulldog
Paddler

Post by SpaCityBulldog » April 15th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Mike A wrote:I did try a half marathon about two weeks ago. It was painful, especially toward the end. (no pun, I guess). Anyhow, I'm going to lower the resistance and not worry about time, and try the full marathon next week.
Mike: Here's a link to the C2 plan for training for a marathon.

http://www.concept2.com/05/training/tra ... ntrain.asp

Meri
Paddler

struggling with food

Post by Meri » April 17th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Anyone else on the team fall off the weight-loss wagon? I did. Although The China Study (thanks Mike) helped me realize how much I could eat, as long as it is the right kind of food, when the spring holidays brought out some of my fatty favorites, I indulged. I've had 3 days of eating anything I want, and honestly don't feel as well as I did when I was sticking to whole plant foods. Anyway, I'm back to attempting to row 5000 to 10000 m per day and cutting calories. I hope, gradually, to make this a life long change. I will try a marathon before the end of the season, if I get up the courage. Good luck to all, and thanks for all the words of encouragment.
Meri

jagmanvdp
Paddler

How do i join?

Post by jagmanvdp » April 25th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Went to my profile to try to join "Row Pain....." Can't see how it's done..

Help would be appreciated

Darren

Alissa
2k Poster

Re: How do i join?

Post by Alissa » April 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm

jagmanvdp wrote:Went to my profile to try to join "Row Pain....." Can't see how it's done..

Help would be appreciated

Darren
Darren, here are some instructions I posted for Yoda on the old forum:
Alissa wrote: 1. Go to your on-line log, then to your profile (click the box at the top--next to the "logout" button).

2. That takes you to your "Profile Settings"--right below that, click on "edit profile" which takes you to a page labeled "Edit Profile for Online Ranking/Logbook."

3. On that page, scroll nearly to the bottom...you're looking for "University/Club Standings Affiliation". When you find that, there's a drop down menu. Find the team you want to be on, then choose that so that it appears in the window.

4. Finally, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on the button that says "Update Profile."

That should do it!

Alissa

rowmantic
Paddler

1/2 & Full Marathon

Post by rowmantic » April 25th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Hi All,
I am coming back out of hiding and logging my meters. It was a tough month for personal reasons. I didn't realize until today that I had not logged my meters for almost the entire month.
So, Meri did you do a full marathon? I have been doing low rating steady state 90 minute rows on Tuesdays which equates to a little over 19k for me, but is not the 1/2 marathon. This weekend I will be at a regatta at sea level watching my son race. It just so happens that there will be ergs at my disposal. I think I will attempt a 1/2 marathon between his races...just for fun. ;-)
I had to join Weight Watchers as reality hit and I realized I was not going to win the Battle of the Bulge on my own. One month of WW and I am down 6 pounds. :D
~Grace

Meri
Paddler

Post by Meri » April 26th, 2006, 10:11 am

Good to hear from you again! I logged a half marathon last week, but don't know if I'll find the time to try for a full marathon before the end of the month. Life is busy just now, but the real reason is because it's scary! I was pretty tired after my last half marathon. I've been pushing to keep my times for the 10000 to under 45 minutes in preparation, and try to row 10000 at least every other day. We'll see. The battle of the buldge is still tough-food and wine seem to be my family's major form of recreation, which is not good for dieting. Glad to see you are succeeding. I'm not loosing, but at least, not gaining. What fun to watch your son race on the water! Best of luck.
Meri

Steelhead
1k Poster

Post by Steelhead » April 27th, 2006, 1:09 am

Meri wrote:Good to hear from you again! I logged a half marathon last week, but don't know if I'll find the time to try for a full marathon before the end of the month. Life is busy just now, but the real reason is because it's scary! I was pretty tired after my last half marathon. I've been pushing to keep my times for the 10000 to under 45 minutes in preparation, and try to row 10000 at least every other day. We'll see. The battle of the buldge is still tough-food and wine seem to be my family's major form of recreation, which is not good for dieting. Glad to see you are succeeding. I'm not loosing, but at least, not gaining. What fun to watch your son race on the water! Best of luck.
Meri
Meri,

It is not dieting but just a better way of eating and drinking that we want to reach while erging. Did you finish reading The China Study?

When I did my first FM, I didn't break any speed records; set it with a low drag factor and just rowed out slow and easy and got into the groove so to speak. The last 5,000 meters were tough -- I thought I was going to black out, but that was mostly because I wasn't keeping my blood sugar up. The next few FMs I did, I did with several 30 oz. bottles of CytoMax and that definitely made a big difference.

Let us know when you do your first FM.
Mike

"Sometimes we have to do more than our best, we have to do what is required." Winston Churchill

Completed the Certificate Program in Plant-Based Nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation, January 11, 2011.