Capturing data from Gym rowers

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Toshtham
Paddler

Capturing data from Gym rowers

Post by Toshtham » January 17th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Hi all...newbie alert!

I come from an ultra running and cycling background but due to a persistent ankle problem I started rowing at the end of November to keep my endurance up. Have to say I have enjoyed it more than I thought, particularly learning the technique, and to satisfy my 'how far can I go tendencies' I am looking to build up my distances to marathon and beyond.

At the end of December I had a stab at HM which took me 1:28:40 (OMG my @rse hurt after that) but have persevered and on Saturday I managed 30k in 2:06:50. So I think I am on the right track for a sub 3 hour marathon BUT it's driving me nuts manually logging my rows into Garmin connect. Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to ANT+ connect a Garmin watch to a gym rower so that I can capture the data? If not is there any other way?

Many thanks and apologies if this has been asked before.

Tony
LWT 55 5'7"
100m: 17.5 | 2K: 7.18 | 5K: 19:40 | 10K: 39:50 | HM: 1:25:06 | FM: 2:54:15 | 30MIN: 7580m | 60MIN: 14458m

thecrashton
1k Poster

Re: Capturing data from Gym rowers

Post by thecrashton » January 18th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Depends on the PM that the rowers at the gym have. Short answer it is possible yes, but may not be depending on version of PM. However, I don't know that the info on the monitor will be saved to the watch... the ANT+/BLE pairing may only be for sending heartrate information from a device TO the PM. Maybe someone can clear that up if I'm incorrect.

Again depending on the PM, you can save workout data to a USB stick or LogCard, but that won't really help you a ton getting it into Garmin Connect. Not sure how the USB data is saved (I don't use it) but possibly could be exported to an Excel-readable file (CSV, txt, etc.) and then imported into Garmin Connect?
Chris

griff
Paddler

Re: Capturing data from Gym rowers

Post by griff » January 18th, 2016, 11:29 pm

scooter74 posted an applescript app to convert from RowPro to TCX for import into Garmin Connect:
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80819 . Haven't tried it myself but might point you in the right direction.