Benefits from C2 Rowing

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Al Kube
Paddler

Benefits from C2 Rowing

Post by Al Kube » April 26th, 2015, 3:11 pm

I've been a competitive athlete all my life. Swimming, running, cycling, yoga, weights. All great activities.

I've had my C2 rower for 2 months and have competed in the world-wide C2 rower competitions. This is great fun and exercise.

Although I love exercising outdoors, indoor rowing at home is readily available always, regardless of weather or even power outage!

It is the safest tough sport I know. I can stress myself most rowing, even more than swimming or running.

My leg, core, arm strength seem stronger. I will see if my swimming and running times improve.

Why do you like C2 rowing and what benefits have you had?

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Benefits from C2 Rowing

Post by jackarabit » April 26th, 2015, 6:48 pm

No argument here. Not a competitive athlete but been around the block on a road bike. Never doored, hit by a rearview mirror, bonked, broke a collarbone, got rashed or had hypothermia or severe dehydration while sitting on a C2. Safe as houses? :D You bet!

Logistics simple, equipment cost, prep, and maintenance minimal, no use fees or memberships, never out of season. Doesn't require a social occasion to make it worth the trouble but opportunities for "virtual" interaction with those of similar interest. Minimal risk of overuse injuries and impact damage to joint tissue. Compound movement activity engaging 80+% of muscle groups. What's not to like?

With all that said, I'm not so old as to have forgotten why 18yr olds are not enamored of erging. :mrgreen: Jack
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

Doublemeasure
Paddler

Post by Doublemeasure » April 29th, 2015, 7:34 am

I found it great for low impact on my rather overweight body. I can now row 6000m in one sitting and have no issues with my joints. Would recommend over running, etc.
Lesley
57 yo, Not so fat erg rower!

AtlantaCyclist
Paddler

Post by AtlantaCyclist » August 25th, 2015, 4:39 pm

jackarabit wrote:No argument here. Not a competitive athlete but been around the block on a road bike. Never doored, hit by a rearview mirror, bonked, broke a collarbone, got rashed or had hypothermia or severe dehydration while sitting on a C2. Safe as houses? :D You bet!

Logistics simple, equipment cost, prep, and maintenance minimal, no use fees or memberships, never out of season. Doesn't require a social occasion to make it worth the trouble but opportunities for "virtual" interaction with those of similar interest. Minimal risk of overuse injuries and impact damage to joint tissue. Compound movement activity engaging 80+% of muscle groups. What's not to like?

With all that said, I'm not so old as to have forgotten why 18yr olds are not enamored of erging. :mrgreen: Jack
I've never been to a funeral of someone who was killed on an erg. Cycling on the other hand...

Cycling is my first love and there is nothing quite like riding in the Alps or similar destination, but rowing indoors is fantastic nonetheless.

Hanzo
500m Poster

Post by Hanzo » August 26th, 2015, 10:54 am

I love it since it's a full body exersize, and it's small enough to have in a home. I dont care about the weather, and I dont have to worry about my knees going out from running on hard surfaces.

McJim
Paddler

Post by McJim » April 18th, 2016, 4:02 pm

jackarabit wrote:No argument here. Not a competitive athlete but been around the block on a road bike. Never doored, hit by a rearview mirror, bonked, broke a collarbone, got rashed or had hypothermia or severe dehydration while sitting on a C2. Safe as houses? :D You bet!

Can you explain this to me:

"why 18yr olds are not enamored of erging"

I have an inkling but would appreciate you laying bare your thoughts. Thanks!

terence
Paddler

Post by terence » June 11th, 2016, 7:05 pm

For me, the competitive aspect of the online rowing is a game changer for the normal boredom of indoor stationary exercise..