Port Or Starbord

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Afterburner

General

Post by [old] Afterburner » November 27th, 2004, 9:43 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> OK so there's mostly port sweepers... why?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I think it's just a random thing on this list...<br>I remember us having long stretches of time at the club back in Portland when we had more starboards than ports, was a royal pain.<br>Down here in Miami on the women's side we've got about an even number of ports and stars and a whole lot of people who can do both. On the men's side they're a little port heavy right now I think. We keep getting all these new hotshot guys who row port...<br>As someone who rows both sides and is decidedly right handed this is my opinion on the matter.<br>It's not so much a matter of which arm is stronger or even more coordinated. It's more of a matter of which way your body will bend and lean naturally. Personally I have slight tendencies towards bending to starboard, which makes me slightly better on star normally. Altho this has admittedly changed with having rowed port for the last forever due to injury. I'd probly get in the boat and lean the wrong way if I rowed star at this point, oh well.<br>Just my 2 cents...<br><br>Heather Johnson<br>F20 158lbs 5'7"<br>2k 7:32.2 20min 5057 30min 7481

[old] hwt

General

Post by [old] hwt » November 28th, 2004, 9:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-gorow9+Nov 27 2004, 03:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (gorow9 @ Nov 27 2004, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->OK so there's mostly port sweepers... why?<br><br>Could it be because most people are righthanded?  So the right arm is stronger and it's outside so you pull more with the right hand and feather with the left?  Just an idea anyone have any other ideas.<br><br>Also Lefty's what do u row?  Mostly Starbord?  righty's mostly port???  OK again it's just an idea <br>I find it strange that there are more switchers than starbord rowers... ??  weird. <br><br>~Sara~<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Hi Sara<br><br>Your logic is good.....except that you may have mixed up left/right, inside/outside, or port/starboard? If your right arm is the pulling arm and your left hand does the feathering, hopefully you are sitting on Starboard!!

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » November 28th, 2004, 11:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-gorow9+Nov 27 2004, 12:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (gorow9 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> OK so there's mostly port sweepers... why?<br><br>Could it be because most people are righthanded?  So the right arm is stronger and it's outside so you pull more with the right hand and feather with the left?  Just an idea anyone have any other ideas.<br><br>~Sara~ <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>There are actually more Starboards, they just think they can row both sides. <br><br>Erm..... Your left hand is "outside" when rowing Port.<br><br>I just love playing Simon Says with a bunch of Rowers and saying "Simon says - raise your port hand!" and everyones right hand shoots up.<br><br>Okay, you can put your right (Starboard) hands down now....

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » November 28th, 2004, 12:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-JosephNovak+Nov 27 2004, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (JosephNovak @ Nov 27 2004, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have a "PaulS" like ego complex that forced the issue of rowing stroke. Plus a cute coxswain. (She loved it when I made my "Oh god, kill me now, not another power 10!!" grimace.)<br><br>Joe "<i>Evil Lady Torturer?! Bring her on!</i>" Novak <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Hey now! A PaulS ego complex is decidedly "Six Seat". They let me row stroke once and we won, but the coach never let that happen again. Apparently treating a 4 mile head race like a time trial was not his idea of "proper race strategy". <br><br>I'm far more reserved these days...

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » December 1st, 2004, 11:11 am

I have issues with right left, port starbord, inside outside... I know if I'm in the boat... otherwise it's weird<br><br>~Sara

[old] chudwell

General

Post by [old] chudwell » December 6th, 2004, 5:14 pm

Now that I'm out of school, I gotta row solo...which normally means erging only. Erging and sculling yield better body balance with regards to symmetry and bending/twisting forces on the joints.<br><br>In school, as a starboard, my right arm and leg were much more prominently muscular than my left side. It was quite visible.

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » December 6th, 2004, 9:47 pm

Part of the reason that I like sculling... and sweeping both. I guess when I get to college that won't be much of an option... oh well.<br><br>~Sara~<br><br>"Life's short... row hard"<br>"Row till you die, then power ten"<br>"When I say hard on port... I mean hard on port"-coach

[old] JosephNovak

General

Post by [old] JosephNovak » December 7th, 2004, 1:11 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->as a starboard, my right arm and leg were much more prominently muscular than my left side.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table> Now Sara, you're young enough that we can cut you some slack -- <i>As long as</i>, in the future, you remember that there is <b>nothing</b> sexier than one giant, out of proportion quad on a woman. I can't remember a day going by in college when I didn't hear, "did you see the quad on that one?" coming out of 3 seat's mouth.<br><br>... Of course I would have to think twice if it was her <i>right</i> leg. To quote Doctor Rowing, "Like tattoos, body piercing, and rowing starboard, it's not for everyone."<br>

[old] eurofoot13

General

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » December 7th, 2004, 2:04 am

Depends upon where you go for college. I actually considered going to a school nearby a competitive club and sculling there, but I decided instead to try for sweep rowing. There is really no barrier to competing in a scull while in college, you just won't be able to race other colleges. you'll need to simply race the national circuit and peak for the summer, say US Nationals or Canley.<br><br>And noone should develop such a severe muscle imbalance - I wonder what that did to the set?

[old] dano

General

Post by [old] dano » December 13th, 2004, 10:38 pm

I personally row sweep on both sides. My blade work is better on Port, but I feel stronger on Starboard. I was introduced to rowing by a national coach in a pair. At his insistance, I alternated sides the first 4 times on the water. His rational... "When you're trying out for my crew in a few years, you'll be competing for one of eight seats rather than one of four". I never made a run for a national team, but do enjoy recreational rowing even today (twenty years later), usually in 7 or stroke seat.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Dano