Feeling hot hours after rowing

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
f2d
1k Poster

Feeling hot hours after rowing

Post by f2d » June 29th, 2015, 10:01 pm

So, I have this issue where hours after finishing a piece I still feel hot. Right now it's been about 3 hours since I finished a 30 minute piece. It wasn't even high intensity or anything (my pace was 2:15.x which should be easy for my weight, 172 lbs). Trying to go to sleep is almost impossible because even though my apartment's air conditioned to a comfortable temperature (and it's very comfortable if I'm just sitting around), when I lay in bed I start sweating on any part of my body that's touching the bed/pillow, and I just feel like my body temperature's elevated in general.

Anyone else have this kind of issue? Any ideas to solve it?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Feeling hot hours after rowing

Post by hjs » June 30th, 2015, 2:58 am

f2d wrote:So, I have this issue where hours after finishing a piece I still feel hot. Right now it's been about 3 hours since I finished a 30 minute piece. It wasn't even high intensity or anything (my pace was 2:15.x which should be easy for my weight, 172 lbs). Trying to go to sleep is almost impossible because even though my apartment's air conditioned to a comfortable temperature (and it's very comfortable if I'm just sitting around), when I lay in bed I start sweating on any part of my body that's touching the bed/pillow, and I just feel like my body temperature's elevated in general.

Anyone else have this kind of issue? Any ideas to solve it?
Pretty common, certainly combined with food. Taking a bad or shower for long enough can help help. Using thin sheets to sleep also. Other point, try not to both eat and train to late on the day.

dareigo
Paddler

Post by dareigo » June 30th, 2015, 3:18 pm

I am curious, do you check your pulse at the 3 hour mark? What are your hydration habits?

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 1st, 2015, 5:10 pm

dareigo wrote:I am curious, do you check your pulse at the 3 hour mark? What are your hydration habits?
No I don't. Maybe next time I'll monitor my heart rate for a few hours after rowing. I usually try to hydrate up before the session, and then drink plenty of water afterwards.

Usually I'm more hydrated for my afternoon piece than I am for my morning piece, but I usually feel like crap doing the afternoon piece because I'm burned out from the morning one.

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » July 2nd, 2015, 8:08 am

f2d wrote:
dareigo wrote:I am curious, do you check your pulse at the 3 hour mark? What are your hydration habits?
No I don't. Maybe next time I'll monitor my heart rate for a few hours after rowing. I usually try to hydrate up before the session, and then drink plenty of water afterwards.

Usually I'm more hydrated for my afternoon piece than I am for my morning piece, but I usually feel like crap doing the afternoon piece because I'm burned out from the morning one.
If you don't feel recovered from the morning session you may be on the verge of overtraining. The last time I overtrained I was getting night sweats and rapid heartbeat at night. With regard to with regard feeling hot, I have found if I wait until I have completely stopped sweating before I take a shower I will not feel hot later.

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 5th, 2015, 5:31 pm

PaulG wrote:
f2d wrote:

If you don't feel recovered from the morning session you may be on the verge of overtraining. The last time I overtrained I was getting night sweats and rapid heartbeat at night. With regard to with regard feeling hot, I have found if I wait until I have completely stopped sweating before I take a shower I will not feel hot later.
I doubt it's overtraining. I don't work nearly hard enough to overtrain, so I won't use that as a bad excuse to not do a workout.

All right, just finished 10KM @ 2:14.5 / 500

HR was 80ish before I started (slightly elevated, I did a 30 minute/6730M piece this morning about 9 hours ago), ~160 in the first 5KM, ~165 in the 2nd 5KM, down to about 113 now a few minutes after finishing.. I'll see where I'm at in a couple hours

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 5th, 2015, 10:02 pm

So, a couple hours after finishing, I can get my HR down to about 75 if I lay down for a few minutes

Normally I can get it below 60.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » July 6th, 2015, 9:14 am

You say nothing about your age, height and sex, so the numbers you mention (10k @ 144W) can't be used to reach any conclusions, save that at 78 kg, it could be a reasonable UT1 training piece (1.8 W/kg).

However you have a collection of notes that must add up to something:
I can get my HR down to about 75 if I lay down for a few minutes; normally I can get it below 60.
I usually feel like crap doing the afternoon piece because I'm burned out from the morning one.
Hours after finishing a piece I still feel hot.
Trying to go to sleep is almost impossible
If it's not overtraining and you're not ill, it's something just as nasty. Take your temperature. Have a week's rest, and then do not more than one 30-40' piece a day, keeping HR at less than 70% of range. If you think you can go faster, do so, but not for the entire piece, maybe just the last five minutes, checking how HR reacts.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 6th, 2015, 10:07 am

I'm 29, 6'1", male at 172 lbs, so my pace is definitely on the slower side of things.

Took my heart rate this morning, it's about 62 or so.

JLB123
Paddler

Post by JLB123 » July 9th, 2015, 9:16 am

I think I have the same issue as you, although not as bad (i.e. it might only take me 2 hours to stop feeling too warm, although obviously depends on surroundings etc.).

For me, I think the problem is my core temperature gets elevated during exercise (apparently there's quite substantial variation across people as to how much core temperature rises during exercise). This means that even if I take a cold shower or similar (during which I'll feel cold), I'll start sweating immediately afterwards.

I find the best solution is to drink cold fluids (close to 1L), as this seems to cool me down much better.

On the over-training point people have picked up on, I think there's a balance - to do the volume required to actually make progress, you can't realistically expect to be 100% recovered for every session, so just because you feel bad before the second session doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

However, never allowing your body to recover isn't a good idea either. A very easy way to find the balance is to monitor "work per pulse" i.e. avg. power divided by avg. heart rate for a given workout.

Comparing like-for-like workouts, if your work per pulse goes down, you're over-training (obviously monitor over 3-4 workouts to adjust for fluctuations etc.)

Note that for this to work, you need to be comparing like-for-like workouts. E.g. if you are doing an erg every morning and every evening, you can compare morning ergs to one another, and evening ergs to one another, but you can't compare morning and evening ergs. Ergs being compared should also be same distance / time, with same target HR / split (so you can't compare a 30 minute erg at 2:00 with a 30 minute erg at 2:15, but a 2:14 and 2:15 would be close enough to let you do this). Also try and keep hydration & room temperature as similar as possible.

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 9th, 2015, 10:41 am

Well, I"m also cutting right now so I feel crappy a lot of times, even when I'm well rested, so I definitely won't be using that as a basis for whether or not I should do a piece.

I just got myself a polar H7 to use with the ERG, so that way the machine stores my results for easy comparison.

Doing a 10K row hungry and tired is pretty brutal, but most of that is mental, not physical

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » July 10th, 2015, 1:02 am

Doing a 10K row hungry and tired is pretty brutal, but most of that is mental, not physical
Are you sure? Usually exercise gets the endorphines flowing so makes us feel better, not worse.
Physical's easy anyway: eat, drink and rest are the usual remedies.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » July 11th, 2015, 11:33 pm

jamesg wrote:
Are you sure? Usually exercise gets the endorphines flowing so makes us feel better, not worse.
Physical's easy anyway: eat, drink and rest are the usual remedies.
Well, if I can get past the first few KM, I can usually finish the whole piece, hence the mental part. When I start rowing and I feel like crap I just want to stop. Part of it is physical too; if I have no glycogen it's going to be hard to do a piece with a decent time. I've been getting better about it though. I improved my pre-workout meals and have been getting better at forcing myself to complete a piece no matter what.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » July 12th, 2015, 3:15 am

I find it best to warm up in about 8-10 minutes, very gradually and starting slow, aiming to hit the groove by about 20 minutes in. Then cruise: endurance work is not hard, all we have to do is get Lactate up to 2-4 mMol so that the clearance systems are loaded, but no more than needed to improve.

How do we know we're at 2-4 Mol? We don't, without analysis, but if HR is up but not climbing any more, Lactate can't be very high.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.