Contest-i Need Rowers Recipes

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Afterburner

General

Post by [old] Afterburner » July 25th, 2004, 6:32 pm

As a college student currently working on my master's degree and also rowing, here are some of the things that keep me from starving to death.<br><br>1. Always have cereal available, you can eat it as a snack, or the traditional with milk way. I suggest buying the big bags of the stuff that are cheap.<br><br>2. Boxed mac&cheese. My personal favorite way is to get several types of whichever store's band X for variety. My personal favorite is the white cheddar. <br>Get a big bowl, toss in 1 3/4 cups water, add noodles. Microwave for 8-10 minutes until the water is absorbed and/or the noodles are however tender you prefer (I once knew someone who liked them hard*shrug*). After this make it according to directions on the package. I like to add in a little bit of thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and sherry in varying combinations to add taste, you don't need much of any of these and it makes all the difference in the world. To get some protein I buy the 1lb packages of lunchmeats and just tear them up and mix em in. I highly recommend the brown sugar ham.<br><br>3. Cup of noodles. They're cheap, you can make them in your sleep and it only takes about 3 min. Just fill to the line with water and microwave for 2-3min. Experiment around to find your favorite flavor, I like the creamy chicken. To add flavor try a dash of soy sauce and possibly a small dab of hoisin sauce and/or black bean garlic sauce. A very small bit of sherry can enhance it greatly too.<br><br>4. The boxed scalloped or au gratin potatoes are pretty good. Just follow the directions on the package. I will sometimes add in some lunchmeat for protein.<br><br>5. Instant pudding. It's great stuff, takes all of 3min to make and can be very satisfying, specially when you want something kinda sweet. Cooking tip: add the powder gradually while whisking the milk, this will prevent the lumps.<br><br>6. Hot pockets. They're good solid food that you can grab on the run. Also, frozen egg rolls. Same general category. Just follow the directions they come with. A good dipping sauce for the egg rolls is mix together a bit of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, black bean garlic sauce, and sherry. You have to kind of experiment to find what kind of mix you like of this.<br><br>7. Craisins. They're good snack food. Just buy the huge bags of em. They can help make friends too if you bring them to practice and are willing to share.<br><br>8. Ramen. Every college student eats it. A site with more recipies than you'll ever use is <a href='http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/recipe.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/recipe ... ><br><br>9. Cottage cheese with spaghetti sauce. Buy a container of cottage chesse. Pour a bit of spaghetti sauce over the top, eat. It tastes kinda like poor man's lasagna without the noodles, quite yummy. I prefer the prego spaghetti sauce.<br><br>10. If you've got a kind of spaghetti sauce you really like just eating it straight can be a great meal. Suprisingly good for you too. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top for a bit of extra flavor. I prefer this when the sauce has been refrigerated.<br><br>11. Spaghetti. Eyeball the water, he'll pick up the skill pretty fast. Toss in the noodles, let boil til the noodles are how you like em. Drain. Add pasta sauce of your choice. Regular marinara is good with a touch of parmesan. Also the jars of alfredo sauce are really good. Just pour a bit on top, mix in a bit of sherry(just a dash) sprinkle with parmesan and eat. Some of the same spices as for the mac&cheese can enhance this as well. <br><br>12. Boring but useful powerbars/cliff bars/luna bars whichever kind of bar you like. You can toss them in your backpack and eat them quietly in class when you don't have time between classes. <br><br>13. Instant oatmeal. The flavored types are actually quite good. Just follow the directions on the package. This is quick and really hits the spot after a cold row.<br><br>Always always always carry a water bottle with you to class. I've never met an instructor that had a problem with students drinking things in class (if I ever do I'll probly drop the class) it's really hard to stay properly hydrated and this makes all the difference for me. Can help you stay awake sometimes too. I like to fill my bottle with ice at the soda fountain in the food court, this keeps the water cold and hence much more appealing.<br><br>That's prettymuch my entire diet. I find most of the meat is just easier to get at the food court. I usually get a good meal there about once a week (since I have no meal plan). Hope this helps.<br><br>Heather Johnson<br>

[old] lowwall

General

Post by [old] lowwall » July 27th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Since we've moved on from recipes to cheap and easy food tips in general...<br><br>In college (graduated in 1990) I lived on about $3 a day for my food budget. So I know way too much about eating cheap. It all starts with a few staples to fill you up and provide calories.<br><br>First we have asian inspired dishes, based around:<br><br> - Rice. Three billion asians know something about eating cheap and it all starts with rice. You should get him a rice cooker. It makes life so easy, just drop in 1 part rice and 2 parts water and hit the button. In 20-30 minutes you are ready to go. Just about anything added to rice makes a meal. You can even add milk/cream and sugar/jam to make a decent breakfast or dessert. <br><br> - Ramen, ramen and more ramen. If he's near an asian grocery, he can find a huge selection of ramen in a bowl that's simpler and much better than the usual supermarket stuff. Although the latter is cheaper (I used to argue with my economic geography professor that in a world where I can buy ramen made in Indonesia for ten cents a package, transport costs for manufactured goods have become essentially irrelevant). <br><br>Then you need a few condiments: soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin, barbecue, hot sauce (tabasco, sambal oelek, sri racha, etc), onion powder, and a jar of pressed garlic. Leftover beer and wine also falls into the condiment category.<br><br>Then comes the vegetables: iceberg lettuce (it's suprisingly good when cooked), spinach, peppers, onions, etc. Also pick up some asian vegetables like bok choy, pea pods or chinese string beans. They have literally been bred for stir-frying.<br><br>Finally you need some meat/fish: eggs, sliced hot dogs, cheap cuts of beef cut into cubes, catfish or other "on sale" fresh fish.<br><br>Stir fry (heat up non-stick pan, put in a bit of oil, drop in ingredients and stir occasionally so they don't burn) any reasonable combination of condiments, meat/fish and vegetables. Serve over rice.<br><br>To use with ramen, either drop some chopped vegetables and sliced hot dogs, raw eggs and/or precooked meat or fish into the bowl before adding the boiling water (or add to the pot with the noodles if using the bowless types). Alternatively cook the noodles, drain and put into stir fry (add the flavoring packet to the stir fry).<br><br>He'll probably make a lot of marginally edible meals before he gets the hang of what goes with what. But at least he'll be learning the very valuable skill of cooking without a recipe.<br><br>Then we have Western inspired dishes. These are easier to make, but cost more. They are based around:<br><br> - pasta. Stir fry one or more of sausages, ground beef, vegetables. Add tomato sauce or canned chili, then cheese.<br><br> - tortillas and omelettes (see recipes above).<br><br>Finally, the simplest route is microwaveable meals. Most of the frozen stuff from standard supermarkets is junk, filled with saturated and trans fats. But some larger health food stores and <br><a href='http://www.traderjoes.com/' target='_blank'>Trader Joe's</a> have healthy and cheap (at least at Trader Joes) microwaveable food.<br><br>Alex

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » July 28th, 2004, 12:43 am

About the easiest thing going is ready-to-nuke canned soup. <br><br>Try using "good" instant mac & cheese--Annie's is actually good enough that sometimes we eat it even now (but don't tell anyone). We usually throw in a bag of frozen peas or broccoli.<br><br>Grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty easy, especially if you melt the butter in the microwave and then paint it on the outsides of the bread with a brush. But don't try to cook the sandwiches in your regular toaster, like a bachelor friend of mine once did when I was in college!<br><br>Spaghetti & meatballs is easy in one pot. Buy the frozen meatballs. Throw them in, frozen, with the spaghetti while it's boiling. Drain and add a jar of sauce. The hot pasta will warm up the sauce enough.<br><br>This sounds wierd, but it tastes good. Just toast some bread, plop some cottage cheese on it, and top it with preserves. <br><br>This is making me hungry!<br><br>Carla<br><br>

[old] c2bill

General

Post by [old] c2bill » July 29th, 2004, 1:17 pm

from my rock climbing bum days.<br><br>open a pack of ramen noodles.<br>lick.<br>sprinkle on the flavor packet (which will stick because you licked the ramen)<br>eat raw.<br>follow with a jug of water and a spoon full or two of peanut butter.<br><br>might not help to keep up the weight though...<br><br>:-)<br><br>-bill

[old] Dr. Z

General

Post by [old] Dr. Z » July 31st, 2004, 10:10 am

The food nuker is the inexerienced cook's friend! Two microwave recipes.<br><br>1. Eggplant lasagna: Slice 2 medium tomatoes, 1/8 to 1/4 in slices. In a glass or ceramic flat-bottom bowl, alternate layers of sliced tomatoes, frozen breaded eggplant slices (Trader Joe's or health food store), and nonfat cottage cheese. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning between each layer. Put a sheet of paper toweling on the bottom of the microwave, place the filled bowl on top. Microwave on high power 6 to 8 minutes. Filling as regular lasagna with noodles.<br><br>2) Zucchini main dish: Grate into a medium size bowl 3 average zucchini, Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour on top, about a teaspoon of Greek seasoning and about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix a little. Crack 2 eggs into mixture and stir. Pour mixture into a glass or ceramic shallow bowl and micorwave on high about 5 minutes (until eggs have cooked to firm). Top with spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce from a jar. Adding corn (frozen or from a can) to the zucchini mixture is pretty good, too.<br><br>Send him off to college with a few bottles of mixed seasonings, they hide a multitude of culinary sins. The threesome of Trader Joe's pasta seasoning blend, Konriko's Authentic All Purpose Greek Seasoning, and Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning for Salads & Vegetables would cover all the bases.<br><br>Bayko's tuna, mac&cheese number wins the efficiency trophy; requires no refrigerated ingredients and the entire contents of the box of mac & can of tuna are used in one sitting. No cutting involved either. Can't get more student or new cook friendly than that.<br>MP

[old] SpongeBob

General

Post by [old] SpongeBob » August 1st, 2004, 1:44 pm

pilaf<br><br>The basic idea is to saute some onion (1 medium, diced) in oil, throw in about a cup of some whole grain (bulghur wheat, buckwheat groats, long grain brown rice, wild rice, red lentils, unhulled or pearled barley, etc), add 2 cups liquid(water, broth, whatever), bring to a simmer, turn the heat down as low as it will go, add seasonings (taco seasoning, chili seasoning, curry, italian seasonings, whatever), cover and let it go until the liquid is absorbed, typically about 20 minutes (exception: long grain brown rice is more like 45 minutes). It helps to have a good pan, otherwise it is very easy to burn on the bottom. A good trivet can help. Or stick it in the oven at 200 degrees if the pan can handle it. Oops, you said no oven, darn it. <br><br>These grains are typically available in bulk bins at the local coop for under $1 a pound (USD), bring in your own container, have them weigh it before you fill it (write down the tare weight on the container with a Sharpie).<br><br>Here's a favorite:<br><br>1 onion, diced<br>olive oil as needed, perhaps 2 tbsp<br>1 cup bulghur wheat<br>1/2 to 1 tb good cumin<br>1/2 to 1 tb good sweet curry powder (recommend Penzeys)<br>1/4 cup good soy sauce (recommend San-J Tamari)<br>1/4 cup rice wine vinegar<br>3/4 cup chicken stock<br>3/4 cup beef stock<br><br>OK, so its more than 4 ingredients, but you can get the stock in these squarish waxy 32 oz (4 cup) boxes that are resealable and keep a couple of weeks in the frig after opening, and the soy sauce and vinegar are optional (but the total liquid should be 2 cups). Besides, you can easily build the liquid in one 2 cup pyrex measuring cup (the proportions need not be exact, so long as you end up with 2 cups total).<br><br>Perfectly reasonable to throw in leftover meat and vegetables at some point.<br>Can also be 'veggied up' quite easily, red pepper, green pepper, hot peppers, pea pods, carrots shreds, celery, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, garlic, these can all go in with the onion.<br><br>Easy, tasty, healthy, cheap, and sure to charm the knickers off some lady rower. Oops, did I say that out loud?<br><br>Bob

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » August 1st, 2004, 1:59 pm

More good stuff from everyone. I think he will need some practice with cooking before trying to impress a lady rower with his culinary skill, though. He is an excellent tap dancer and I believe he uses the dance training to make an impression. Or maybe his scuba diving? Or cycling. <br><br>You jocks are all impressive, no matter what the sport. And I mean both male and female participants.<br><br>grams

[old] SpongeBob

General

Post by [old] SpongeBob » August 2nd, 2004, 11:11 am

tap dancer! great idea! Although I much prefer dancing with a lady. If only I could find a good swing gif.<br><br>OK, back on topic, one of the most useful *** DELETE - SPAM *** gadgets a cooking-challenged youth can have is one of those non-stick electric skillets with a dial thermostat (e.g., West Bend). One of the easiest things to prepare in one of these is a box dinner, like one of the many Hamburger Helper products, all you need is the box, some ground beef, sometimes milk, and water. It is usually a good thing to notch them up with a little cajun seasoning like Tony Chachere's. Good for pilaf too, I expect.<br><br>Another idea: Soup kit. Most supermarkets carry various soup kits, like 15 bean soup or 16 bean soup, sometimes with interesting seasoning packets. You make a batch, portion it out into servings, refrigerate or freeze what you are not going to consume right away.<br><br>Bob again

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » September 6th, 2004, 5:30 pm

And the winner is (drum roll) Afterburner!! (Heather Johnson) Bayko was a close 2nd with his mac & cheese/tuna special, however Heather had quite a list of 'one pot-3 ingredients' no-brainer recipes. <br><br>For you starving ergers out there, I am assembling the recipes into a Word .doc, and will make it available for download shortly. <br><br>My grandson left for Boston yesterday, and I have promised him care packages on an irregular basis. I am making him 4 pairs of polarfleece socks, and a polarfleece muffler right now. <br><br>Next, I will send him a box of 'survivor cookies'. They have everything in them but the *** DELETE - SPAM *** sink, and last forever. <br><br>Thanks for all of your contributions, it was fun.<br><br>grams

[old] Bayko

General

Post by [old] Bayko » September 7th, 2004, 2:01 pm

More than happy to finish a close second. Afterburner produced a classic. Her post should be printed out and taped to the door of Student/Rower refrigerators. Parents of Student/Rowers should print it out and bring it to the grocery store and send the various ingredients in lieu of food money that might otherwise get spent on beer. (Sorry students, that's the parent in me thinking that way) <br><br>Rick

[old] Bayko

General

Post by [old] Bayko » September 7th, 2004, 2:02 pm

More than happy to finish a close second. Afterburner produced a classic. Her post should be printed out and taped to the door of Student/Rower refrigerators. Parents of Student/Rowers should print it out and bring it to the grocery store and send the various ingredients in lieu of food money that might otherwise get spent on beer. (Sorry students, that's the parent in me thinking that way) <br><br>Rick

[old] eurofoot13

General

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » September 8th, 2004, 9:08 pm

a pity I left over the summer holiday. But, here's my slightly out of the rules submission<br><br>Salsa Chicken<br>1 jar Salsa <br>1 container sour cream<br>3 chicken breasts<br>grated cheese<br>(rice)<br><br>mix salsa + sour cream<br>brown chicken breasts<br>put chicken breasts in a baking dish<br>top with salsa and cheese<br>bake until the chicken is done<br>serve over rice<br><br>Serves 1 (hungry rower that is - 3 if you eat like a normal person)