New Person Saying Hello

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 24th, 2004, 10:49 am

Not entirely certain what the protocol is for such things 'round these parts but...<br><br>... I'm new and just thought I would say hello. My name is Amanda, as you may have guessed, and I live in Southern California with my daughter and an assortment of four-legged beasties. <br><br>Just took delivery on my C2 three days ago and I absolutely LOVE it! I initially made the purchase with the intent of getting into shape while being afforded the luxury of maintaining a rigorous and frivolous television schedule. But now, I see that I have underestimated the seductive lure of competing against onesself and others. <br><br>Anyway, hello everyone. <br><br>-A

LindaM

General

Post by LindaM » June 24th, 2004, 11:00 am

Hi Amanda - Welcome to ERGLand. Great to have another woman on board. Let us know how your first rows go - the good, the bad, and the ugly.<br><br>-LindaM

[old] Bayko

General

Post by [old] Bayko » June 24th, 2004, 11:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-amandacobb+Jun 24 2004, 02:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (amandacobb @ Jun 24 2004, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I see that I have underestimated the seductive lure of competing against onesself and others.  <br><br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Hi Amanda. It sounds like you fit right in. <br><br>Rick

[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 24th, 2004, 11:09 am

Thank you for the warm welcome.<br><br><br>How's it going? Hahah... well, first, you must understand that I'm coming off about 10 years of couch-sitting, desk-sitting, and napping. Until Monday, I had a decade of sitting around watching my rear spread faster than the cicada infestation on the East Coast. So... with that said, here's the update so far.<br><br>Monday: <br><br>2000 meters to get a baseline. 11m04s. Nearly died. <br><br>Tuesday: <br><br>Woke up and really was very sore. Consumed 4 advil. Got on for 20 minutes that evening.<br><br>Wednesday:<br><br>Woke up and felt much better. 2 advil. Decided to try the 2000m again. Got it down to 9m55s. Rowed another 35 minutes doing intervals of 1m easy, 30s hard.<br><br>This morning:<br><br>I actually feel pretty good.<br><br>My goal is to reach the 50th percentile for my age group 30-39 by the end of the year. If I could do that, I think I'd be happy. I have an HRM and will use that too... who knows, maybe I can do it.<br><br>If anyone has any advice, I'm open to receiving it. And I plan to read through the training forum and such. I really am just so very pleased that I finally took the plunge and bought the rower. Can't wait for the new rowpro to come out so I can row with some of my friends around the country.<br><br>Ok, shutting up now. Thanks again for the welcome Linda.<br><br>-A

[old] CAROLE MAC

General

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » June 24th, 2004, 11:20 am

Welcome Amanda ... another lady here as well (oi Roy behave )... the world of erging is mad ..fun and addictive and the peeps are brilliant full of good advice so don't be scared to ask even if you think it is a stupid question .

[old] rlbusby

General

Post by [old] rlbusby » June 24th, 2004, 2:35 pm

Welcome Amanda:<br><br> I started about 10 months ago and am really enjoying this (despite the pain!). A good souce of info is on the C2 site in England, it gives you lots of tips:<br><br><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloads.php' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloa ... br><br>Rod

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » June 24th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Hi Amanda!<br><br>Good for you on starting out on the C2! The forum is a great way to get encouragement and information. Keep us posted on your progress! <br><br>Carla<br>

[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 24th, 2004, 4:53 pm

Thanks so much Rod & Carla... <br><br>I've downloaded the training PDF off the UK site... saw that mentioned somewhere. But I'll check out the link posted here too. <br><br>The good news about starting out from zero, is that I should make some good progress somewhat quickly. After all, there's nowhere to go but up! <br><br>I can see how this can get a little addicting though. Already last night, I passed up practicing the cello in favour of rowing. It's really not like me to chose the more active choice so I can tell I'm in for a whole new world of adventures here. <br><br>Thanks again to everyone.... <br><br>-A

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » June 24th, 2004, 11:19 pm

Cool, another string player!!!<br><br>I'm taking a break from practicing violin for a 7/4 pops concert (have to learn 24 pieces by the 4th) and after I work on a few more it's my time to row. <br><br>Watch out it doesn't get too addicting! My daughter was doing really well with the cello and then got addicted to karate. Now she has quit cello to do karate 4 x a week plus home practice. <br><br>Too bad you live on the west coast. I will miss playing duets with my daughter.<br><br>Carla

[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 25th, 2004, 9:06 am

Carla, <br><br>You must know... I'm NOT very good. I didn't start playing until I was grown up. So I'm probably about as good as the 9th graders or so now. <br><br>Fear not though, I won't give it up. I had always wanted to play and I've been doing it for about 3 years now and am very happy with it. I don't really mind that I'm the oldest one at my teacher's recitals. We all have a good time. <br><br>I don't know if they do it where you are, but in CA, we do a thing called Certificate of Merit. I signed up for that this past year. Me and a bunch of 12 year olds. <br><br>Ah well, my 5 year plan has me moving to Boston anyway. As soon as the child is out of high school, I'm going to move on with MY life. She can come with me or go to college elsewhere, or stay in Southern California. But I have decided to do what I want as soon as she's out of high school. <br><br>Who knows, if that's closer, maybe I'll be good enough to play some duets then. <br><br>-A

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » June 25th, 2004, 9:35 am

Even cooler!!!<br><br>I started studying violin when I was 36, and have always been the oldest at my teacher's recitals, too! So I can totally relate! It takes a lot of courage to do recitals as an adult, especially when the other students, who may be ahead of you and sound better, are only up to your navel. Now 8 years later (and hours and hours of practice) I'm playing in a community orchestra and people actually pay to hear us play. So I'm guessing that if you keep it up, by the time you move to Boston we can really have some fun together. <br><br>To get back on the topic of rowing...Last night I rowed the longest I've managed this season (which started right after I got a cast off my left wrist). It wasn't a great time but I was really happy to be able to post a 6K result, and it was a good effort.<br><br>By the way, do you know about Nonathlon? It's a fun way to compete at erging on a "level playing field". Go to www.matrix.uk.net/nonathlon to find out about it. You earn points for each of the 10 events and it's figured out for your age, sex, and weight category, so that at the end of the season you can see how you stack up against everyone. It's a lot of fun.<br><br>Carla

[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 25th, 2004, 10:18 am

Yes, it does take courage to play amongst the child prodigies. Luky for me, I have this really wonderful teacher who's infinitely patient and very supportive. I'm so encouraged to hear that you started late and are playing in the community orchestra. That's very good news for me and I'm really impressed with your success. <br><br>Thanks so much for the info on the Nonathlon... I will definitely go check that out right away. Sounds like the perfect thing for me to try!<br><br>Congrats on the long row too. I haven't tried to do that much at once yet. Probably no more than half that at any one time. Now I have something else to strive for!<br><br>-A<br><br>p.s. Sorry to hear that you were in a cast, I hope that everything has healed up right and proper.

[old] grams

General

Post by [old] grams » June 26th, 2004, 3:46 pm

Hello to another lady erger. I'm sure there are many more out there, lurking, but they don't contribute frequently to the forum, alas.<br><br>I have been erging just ove a year, and am an entirely new shape. Down 30 pounds, and what is left is muscle. I acually had to give away all of my clothes and start over 4 sizes smaller. It took from April to July to drop the extra weight, which I did by really eating only one big salad a day and some energy drinks, juices and glucose pills to keep the erging sessions going. I erged 3-4 times a week, for longer and longer sessions as time went by. Now its 2-1 1/2 hour sessions and one longer (half marathon or so) a week.<br><br>My biggest motivations the first year were the Nonathlon (http://www.matrix.uk.net/nonathlon/) and the Million Meter club because I prefer longer slower erg sessions, which aren't so hard on the joints.<br><br>The Nonathlon is great because it has many different distances to aim for and improve on. I always feel good when I post a better time in it. And its calculated to your age on May 1, comparing you only to others your own age and weight.<br><br>Right now I have the ll-time record on Concept's site for the marathon for my age and weight group. Really cool, for having only done this a year. This year's goal is to better my marathon time and keep the #1 spot next year.<br><br>So... go for it. Concept has so many targets that it is easy to pick one and get good at it. <br><br>Grams (6 grandchildren, the oldest one is at Henly right now, rowing)<br><br>

[old] amandacobb

General

Post by [old] amandacobb » June 26th, 2004, 7:26 pm

Wow grams, that's all so very cool. <br><br>Down 30 lbs? Certainly can't argue with that! I need to eat MUCH better than I do. I don't really eat tons of food, but I eat baaaad food. I know that if I exercise and eat well for a few weeks, I actually do feel much better and lose some of the taste for the junk.<br><br>I noticed you're kicking butt on the Nonathlon! I signed up, but I'm at the bottom of the barrell. Really, it's ok though. I'm happy moving slowly as long as it's in the right direction.<br><br>Wow... and 2.5 hours? I think that might kill me. I did 30 yesterday at once, and that was the longest I've made it so far. I've worked up from 20 minutes to an hour a day, but it's all been broken up into pieces. It's really encouraging to see how well you've done in only a year though. Perhaps there's some hope for me yet.<br><br>Perhaps the most encouraging things are a) taking the minute and 9 seconds off the 2000m time in a week and noticing that my heart rate recovers significantly more quickly than it did initially.<br><br>I think I will have a goal to finish the million in a year. That's less than 3K a day, and I know I could do that no matter how busy I am. It's true that there's so many things to pick and choose from. It's nice to be able to set both small and big goals... keeps things interesting. <br><br>Goodness... six grandchildren. I've just got the one child, one dog, and two cats.. and that's a handful right there!<br><br>Ok, first I nap... then row. <br><br>-A<br><br>

[old] MKC

General

Post by [old] MKC » June 27th, 2004, 10:46 am

Amanda, Welcome...<br>I just started erging myself in January in response to constant injuries when I tried to resume my running. Just like you, I am now a convert. I now do very short runs and use erging as my main activity...<br>The UK website has a fantastic training guide which I am currently attempting to use to move forward in my training. <br><br>I was married in May and my wonderful husband ordered me my own concept2 rower as a wedding present. Whataman!<br><br>These boards have been a wonderful inspiration and guidance for me. I completed my first half marathon in the Summer Solstice challange, mostly because of the wonderful encouragement on the E-row forum.<br><br>A nice community for sure...<br>Cheers,<br>MKC