LiveRowing iOS App: Support Thread

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
Live Rowing
Paddler

LiveRowing iOS App: Support Thread

Post by Live Rowing » May 23rd, 2015, 10:08 pm

The LiveRowing App is an application that connects the Concept2 indoor rowing machine with other online community users. It was designed to allow Indoor Rowers and Cross-fitters alike to track their individual performance and compete against each other irrespective of location. It takes the indoor rower into a collaborative, competitive experience — allowing users to race their friends, other users and even themselves. LiveRowing also tracks “Goals” for you. For example, if you have a goal of rowing 1million meters, just select that “Goal” and it will start tracking your meters against it. It is also intelligent in the sense that it will find a competitor of similar ability using our algorithms.

Check it out: http://www.liverowing.net

Ask questions, request features or just say hello.

The LiveRowing Team
Denver

nukwa33
Paddler

Re: LiveRowing iOS App: Coming Soon!

Post by nukwa33 » May 24th, 2015, 4:02 pm

This sounds great!

roger910
Paddler

Post by roger910 » May 26th, 2015, 6:07 am

E-mailed them to find out if they will support wireless connection to the PM5.
Apparently they will do so, and you do not require a cable in that case.

Curious what their pricing is going to look like, but their concept appears to be a very serious threat to RowPro.
Now the only thing missing is a good bracket to mount your iPad to your erg. That would be the ultimate setup for me.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 26th, 2015, 7:47 am

roger910 wrote:, but their concept appears to be a very serious threat to RowPro.
Probably not, its a different market segment so not a threat to RowPro. RowPro is more training and long term motivation for all ages, not racing.

What really surprised me is the relative lack of uptake in RowPro from the overall market, I guess it only appeals to a relatively small percentage of Erg users and an even smaller percentage of these that buy it even attempt to row online, even though its just as simple to set-up an online as well as an offline row. Up until now RowPro has relied on you owning an Erg and a bit of tech savy to get it all up and running in a very reliable fashion, mobile devices with Apps and wireless connections to the monitor look to get round that. The whole change should be better for RowPro in the longer term if they can keep up with a cut down version to run on mobile devices.

Yes Gym users will lap up a mobile App, problem is as soon as several pop up it will just fragment the available interested online rowers and you need ALOT of them for a decent live online experience or else you login and find your the only one in the world online when you want to row.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

roger910
Paddler

Post by roger910 » May 27th, 2015, 4:33 am

Probably not, its a different market segment so not a threat to RowPro. RowPro is more training and long term motivation for all ages, not racing.

..... Up until now RowPro has relied on you owning an Erg and a bit of tech savy to get it all up and running in a very reliable fashion, mobile devices with Apps and wireless connections to the monitor look to get round that. The whole change should be better for RowPro in the longer term if they can keep up with a cut down version to run on mobile devices.

Yes Gym users will lap up a mobile App, problem is as soon as several pop up it will just fragment the available interested online rowers and you need ALOT of them for a decent live online experience or else you login and find your the only one in the world online when you want to row.
Which is exactly my point: I think the difference between racing or training is not that big and can more easily be overcome. In the end only the one or two providers that can attract the audience for online rowing will be able to survive.
If you are able to get a fraction of the people that use an erg in the gym in, that will make a huge difference. This requires two things: no technical barrier (should run on your mobile phone and connect with the push of a button) and a low economic barrier (a $6 monthly subscription is not going to bring in huge amounts of gym users).

So if I would want to make LiveRowing a succes I would do a couple of things:
- Go for a compelling pricing model
- Add a "training" option to the app
- I would sponsor mobile phone holders for gyms to attach your mobile phone to the erg (or make some kind of marketing/sales effort from it: if your gym has 10 paying LiveRowing members, you get a free phone holder)

I am not saying they are there yet, but you always have to be very careful by dismissing it as aiming at a different market segment. In the end, as you said yourself, the total market of erg rowers is not that big at all, and relies on getting a good number of participants in. So whoever ends up as the #1 online rowing application in the future will probably have it all: an online app, plus both racing and training/long term motivation.

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » June 3rd, 2015, 9:29 am

C2race.png
RaceScreen
C2race.png (112.28 KiB) Viewed 33033 times
We are shooting for June 15th beta, Late July Release.

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » June 3rd, 2015, 9:31 am

PostWorkout.png
PostWorkout -- More graphs below
PostWorkout.png (94.97 KiB) Viewed 33032 times
Preview of the Post Workout Summary.

Sharpydave
Paddler

Post by Sharpydave » September 6th, 2015, 9:21 am

Has this launched yet?

AlaskaDave
Paddler

Post by AlaskaDave » October 13th, 2015, 12:14 am

I emailed LiveRowing tech support today and they indicated that it has been submitted to the Apple Store and they expected to have it live in a couple of weeks. They indicated that it will connect via. Bluetooth on the first version so required the PM5. Future versions will have a cable for older models. As for mounting I plan to run on an iPad using the JoyFactory mount. I've had the mount installed for several years and works great. Info at: http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/MNU106

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » November 21st, 2015, 11:45 pm

We have submitted to the app store but still need to shake out some bugs. We will be in touch!

s2kohio
Paddler

Post by s2kohio » January 16th, 2016, 11:37 pm

I checked out LiveRowing today. Not enough info about it - for example I upload all data to the C2 online log. I dont want to lose that ability and i think I'd have to choose one or the other. Im not going to manually input my data to the C2 log if I use LiveRowing. Also, I think their price point is too high. Just my 2cents.
TEAM ROW-HIO - # 7751
Looking for Team Members
Mike, Team Captain

Concept2 Ranking ID: 1058019
Model D PM5 delivered 8/23/15
Member 2 Million Meter Club 8/28/16
Looking for Training Partners

Fulnir
Paddler

Post by Fulnir » January 17th, 2016, 4:40 am

I'm also testing LiveRowing. Syncing to the C2 Log is important for me (both direction!).
Currently, I copy the row data to a USB-Stick after using LiveRowing.
-- Edwin

Casual Runner - Rower - Cyclist
A row a day, keeps the doctor away

http://www.strava.com/athletes/fulnir

thecrashton
1k Poster

Post by thecrashton » January 17th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Need Android!
Chris

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » January 19th, 2016, 10:21 am

thecrashton wrote:Need Android!
Yes we do! We want to learn from the iOS users for a couple months -- we plan on releasing Android in the second half of 2016. The development will be offer after we receive some feedback from the iOS community. Thanks for the note!

thecrashton
1k Poster

Post by thecrashton » January 19th, 2016, 10:41 am

Live Rowing wrote:
thecrashton wrote:Need Android!
Yes we do! We want to learn from the iOS users for a couple months -- we plan on releasing Android in the second half of 2016. The development will be offer after we receive some feedback from the iOS community. Thanks for the note!
Great to hear :)
Chris