What _doesn't_ rowing train you for?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
gcanyon
2k Poster

What _doesn't_ rowing train you for?

Post by gcanyon » April 2nd, 2006, 10:26 pm

Rowing exercises a large portion of your body -- we know that. But there are some parts of the body it doesn't seem to affect as far as I can tell.

For example, a friend at work and I do push-ups every now and then. Rowing seems to have had no impact on the number of push-ups I can do. I think this makes sense, since the triceps don't get much of a workout (at least with my rowing form they don't).

So, anyone know what else doesn't get a significant workout from rowing?[/u]

Carl Henrik
1k Poster

Post by Carl Henrik » April 3rd, 2006, 2:36 am

Oh there´s more, like the ears and the pinky toes :wink: :lol:
Carl Henrik
M27lwt, 181cm
1:13@lowpull, 15.6@100m, 48.9@300m, (1:24.4)/(1:24.5)@500m, 6:35@2k, 36:27.2@10k, 16151m@60min

Andy Burrows
Paddler

Post by Andy Burrows » April 3rd, 2006, 4:32 am

It doesnt do the chest or hamstrings much I think (may be wrong).
32 6'2" 85kg
[url=http://mattn.uuhost.uk.uu.net/teamoarsome.htm][b]"TEAM OARSOME IRC"[/b][/url] <---click me
[url=http://www.c2ctc.com/]Cross Team Challenge[/url] <---click me

[img]http://mattn.uuhost.uk.uu.net/pbp_ab.gif[/img]

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » April 3rd, 2006, 5:42 am

It does not train my chest, shoulders and triceps. If I only would row I would become only legs legs and but. :shock: :shock:

csabour
1k Poster

Post by csabour » April 3rd, 2006, 8:16 am

i think it trains your deltoids a little bit when you have to hold up the blade... or on the erg to hold the handle.

i dont think it almost doesnt work any pushing muscles in the upper body which is a problem.

but at the same time its cool because that give me an excuse to do benchpress :twisted:

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » April 3rd, 2006, 10:48 am

Swimming. B)

On a more Serious note:

Rowing + Press-ups = You are covered pretty well.
Though doings something like Tennis, Fencing, basketball, soccer or practicing a martial art would be good for coordination and range of motion.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

gcanyon
2k Poster

Post by gcanyon » April 3rd, 2006, 11:26 am

PaulS wrote:Rowing + Press-ups = You are covered pretty well.
That's what I was thinking of starting with. Just wanted to get some opinions from others.

Thanks to all!

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » April 3rd, 2006, 11:39 am

PaulS wrote:Swimming. B)

On a more Serious note:

Though doings something like Tennis, Fencing, basketball, soccer or practicing a martial art would be good for coordination and range of motion.
IMO, and on a serious note, swimming and rowing complements each other very well. This has even dawn on some rowing coaches as it was compulsory for the winter training at our rowing club, the Ottawa Rowing Club. Swimmers have also very good coordination and balance, which make learning to row much easier for them.
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

becz
1k Poster

Post by becz » April 3rd, 2006, 12:01 pm

I found out recently that rowing doesn't prepare you all that well (in some ways) for sports with lots of intermittency. Case in point - I was recently on the west coast and played ultimate frisbee a few times, for about an hour each time. While aerobically I was fine, all of the extreme starting and stopping gave me some very sore quads and hamstrings. I guess this is to be expected when you train mostly with non-impact exercise.

csabour
1k Poster

Post by csabour » April 3rd, 2006, 12:16 pm

Francois wrote:

On a more Serious note:

IMO, and on a serious note, swimming and rowing complements each other very well. This has even dawn on some rowing coaches as it was compulsory for the winter training at our rowing club, the Ottawa Rowing Club. Swimmers have also very good coordination and balance, which make learning to row much easier for them.
Francois, i didnt notice you were from Ottawa. Metoo, I lost interest in swimming very quickly. I always felt sick after rowing and got head aches almost everyday... Somthing about sweating in water really grosses me out. My school, glebe replaced the swimming with a 13 km run along the canal.... it's much better :)

Francois
1k Poster

Post by Francois » April 3rd, 2006, 12:46 pm

csabour wrote:
Francois wrote:

On a more Serious note:

Francois, i didnt notice you were from Ottawa. Metoo, I lost interest in swimming very quickly. I always felt sick after rowing and got head aches almost everyday... Somthing about sweating in water really grosses me out. My school, glebe replaced the swimming with a 13 km run along the canal.... it's much better :)
Maybe you were breathing too much (i.e. hyperventilating) when swimming. That might have been the cause of your headaches.
I have never though about the sweating! :wink: Besides, it is non-toxic! I am much more worried about the long term effect of chlorine on my skin and lungs.
Yes, running along the Rideau Canal is quite enjoyable and it was something I did for many years during lunch time. It is great for building an aerobic base, although swimming does that too as well as working your upper body.

Just curious, are you the person on the picture? He seems to weigh more than 151 lbs! :D
49, 5'10.5" (1.79m), 153 lbs (69.5 kg)
1k 3:19.6 | 2k 6:42.8 | 5k 17:33.8 | 10K 36:43.0 | 30' 8,172m | 60' 16,031m

csabour
1k Poster

Post by csabour » April 3rd, 2006, 2:54 pm

yeah... no... maybe i should change that haha. alot of people ask if it's me.

it was just a joke i thought i'd pull on the new forum.

im the guy that usually puts the vaulger avatars (remember the scarface GIF anyone? ;))

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » April 3rd, 2006, 4:54 pm

Yes. Also, Xeno's upper body rowing workout DVD (at gorow.com) is another way to work some muscles that don't get used much in rowing. It's great fun and he has you work the triceps, biceps, intercostal muscles, and he also works on upper body flexibility.

Byron

seat5
2k Poster

Post by seat5 » April 3rd, 2006, 10:02 pm

It doesn't train you for running at all.

I've been rowing pretty consistently all year and haven't run at all in years. A few weeks ago I wss on vacation and the place we stayed at had a treadmill in the club. I've never used one of those at all so I thought I'd try it and see how it felt. Wel,l I ran a mile with not much trouble--not very quick but around 8 minutes or so. It really wrecked my calves for almost a week, they got so stiff and sore I could hardly walk and stairs were excrutiating. However I rowed 10K a day and it didn't hurt the sore calves at all.
Carla Stein--F 47 HWT

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1193870739.png[/img]

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » April 3rd, 2006, 11:03 pm

seat5 wrote:It doesn't train you for running at all.

I've been rowing pretty consistently all year and haven't run at all in years. A few weeks ago I wss on vacation and the place we stayed at had a treadmill in the club. I've never used one of those at all so I thought I'd try it and see how it felt. Wel,l I ran a mile with not much trouble--not very quick but around 8 minutes or so. It really wrecked my calves for almost a week, they got so stiff and sore I could hardly walk and stairs were excrutiating. However I rowed 10K a day and it didn't hurt the sore calves at all.
Rowers don't have to run from anything. :twisted:
And anyway, if we get big calves, we just get more track bite. :shock:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."