Pete plan expectations

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Hross
Paddler

Pete plan expectations

Post by Hross » February 17th, 2015, 10:33 am

I am 48 and trying to break 7 min. I am at 7:02 now without having followed a formal plan before. Of people who have followed, what has been the experience? I would like to see 645 next winter. Plan is certainly thoughtful and I am enjoying it so far. Only in my first cycle though.

dnf0929
Paddler

Re: Pete plan expectations

Post by dnf0929 » February 17th, 2015, 8:35 pm

I started erging in September 2014 after not having done much vigorous exercise for several years. I went through the beginner plan and transitioned to the regular PP. I find the structure, schedule and workouts easy to follow. All of my times have improved significantly and continue to improve albeit much slower at this point. If you're already close to 7 without a plan you will definitely benefit and have a good chance of reaching your goal. Good luck!
Dan | Age:45 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 92kg

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » February 18th, 2015, 12:29 am

You can see from my times that I'm obviously a little bit behind you, but my "goal" is around about the same as yours.

I think the Pete Plan is a fantastic way of going about it if you're driven. My opinion is that it's a bit on the intense side. I think I mentioned elsewhere on the site a few weeks ago that I'd prefer to stretch the PP's three weeks over six weeks, where week 1 is week 1, week 2 is done in week 3, and week 3 is done in week 5. In the new week 2, 4 and 6 there'd be more emphasis on longer UT1 and UT2 work, with some 30' 20spm pieces.

Pete suggests that, if it proves a bit tough, one could also alternately do a full-on iteration and then a lighter iteration.

p.s. - You might want to share your height and weight too to give some of the experts more context.
30, 6'2 (1.88m); 179 lb (81 kg)
Learning, improving, getting stronger, and wanting more.
Recent tests: 1:41.7/500 for 1k; 1:34.9/500 for 2 minutes

Hross
Paddler

Post by Hross » February 18th, 2015, 6:33 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I am 6'1" 200 lbs and in first year of rowing.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 18th, 2015, 6:38 am

Hross wrote:I am 48 and trying to break 7 min. I am at 7:02 now without having followed a formal plan before. Of people who have followed, what has been the experience? I would like to see 645 next winter. Plan is certainly thoughtful and I am enjoying it so far. Only in my first cycle though.
You will improve well, certainly when you did not train very organised, a plan gives structure. Expect good improvement, but after 3/4 months you will plateau, the easy gains are over there. The hard sessions will be on the edge there. If so, take a step back.