Ranger - News To Shock

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 21st, 2005, 8:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Dec 21 2005, 04:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Dec 21 2005, 04:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I (obviously) _have_ listened to you, Paul. I have taken quite a bit of your advice </td></tr></table><br />See, Paul. <br /><br />You can't escape so easily when Rich drops out of races like you do. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As JR would find out, if he got in a boat, erging is not necessarily rowing. </td></tr></table><br />Well I usually row on the erg, and haven't tried erging, so I'd likely be fine in a boat.<br /><br />However I am not interested in boating so much.

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » December 21st, 2005, 8:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I predicted before EIRC that Hastings would row 6:35 by the spring, which would bring the percentage back to 100 again. </td></tr></table><br /><br />This would be surprising, I think. IMHO, Dennis could indeed get faster--substantially. But to do so, he would have to improve his technique and develop a stronger stroke. He is racing at 10 SPI. <br /><br />ranger

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » December 21st, 2005, 8:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'd likely be fine in a boat. </td></tr></table><br /><br /> <br /><br />ranger

[old] FrancoisA

Competitions

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 21st, 2005, 8:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-NavigationHazard+Dec 21 2005, 10:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NavigationHazard @ Dec 21 2005, 10:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-FrancoisA+Dec 21 2005, 04:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrancoisA @ Dec 21 2005, 04:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 21 2005, 08:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Dec 21 2005, 08:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just this morning I did a few strokes at 1:33 pace and I'm only 143 pounds. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John, since you are so strong and have such endurance (you have done over a million meters during the Holiday Challenge), how come your 2K is only a pathetic 7:24 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Francois, I have to take some exception to your choice of words.<br /><br />JR and I may have our differences -- I say tomato, he says tomahto, I say potato, he says rutabagas (bulbous roots adjusted according to VAVOOM, or Varietally Adjusted Vegetable Ontological Ordering Method).<br /><br />But I hope I would never call John's performance pathetic, and in all my needling I'd like to think that I never have. I have no doubt that he worked very hard to achieve it, as does anyone who does any sort of time trial on an erg. I actually have great respect for any and all of us who climb on our little torture machines. As the western world grows increasingly fat, those who buck the trend by exercising deserve credit where credit is due. And whatever else John may be, he is diligent about his workouts and utterly devoted to his (highly idiosyncratic) methods. Ranger too, while I think of it.<br /><br />As far as I'm concerned, one of the great things about our sport is that all of the dozen or so past or present Olympians, coaches, hammer winners, and so on that I've met and/or corresponded with have appreciated the effort that us lesser mortals put in to pull the results we do. Or to put it another way, they understand that to climb on an erg and pull a test piece until you throw up is a gut check regardless of the time or distance involved. I may not be able to match their strokes. But I hope I can emulate their general appreciation of the sport and its participants.<br /><br />I appreciate that you undoubtedly meant it in jest (we all want John to go faster, as does John), and to his credit JR appears to have taken it that way. But I wanted to make clear where I stand. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John's condescending remarks on your performance, as well as those of Paul and Ranger, is what triggered my harsh reply. I also have great respect for all of us, John included, who exercise regularly (on a torture machine or not!).<br /><br />That being said, I still think John's performance on the 2K is not quite in line with his ability to pull 1:33 and his supposedly good endurance, and consequently, he is not in position to post derogatory remarks on the performances or training of others. <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Francois

[old] onethirtyfive

Competitions

Post by [old] onethirtyfive » December 21st, 2005, 8:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-onethirtyfive+Dec 22 2005, 09:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(onethirtyfive @ Dec 22 2005, 09:00 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Dec 22 2005, 06:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Dec 22 2005, 06:10 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As I phase out my cross-training, when I have the time and easy access to an erg, I might try to do this sort of rowing up to three times a day (e.g., 3 x 15K), or eventually, for a marathon-length session.<br />ranger<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Ranger,<br /><br />I am confused in that you have made the comment that you will be doing your first race on the 21st of Jan (as a Lwt since you will be at the weight by Xmas).<br /><br />You made the comment to George NZ that you were now finished with these long rows at low rates and high SPI and were moving onto AT work a higher rates and faster paces. You also said that you would be 'reporting' these sessions, but I cant see any?<br /><br />Given that you are only 4 weeks till your first race and not that long given that you have to get used to higher rates for your major goal at Boston. When will you be reporting the details of these sessions.<br /><br />I note in your comments to PaulS that you also dont quantify your training the way most people do, so I was wondering how you will assess your training progress as you close in on your goal.<br /><br />As to the novice question I am not sure why you keep talking about being a novice in regard to OTW as this is an Indoor rowing forum and that is all this is about. You are much more experinced than a lot here both in terms of Indoor Rowing (you have told us how many times you have raced), and you also have a lifelong history of endurance training ... so I think the term novice is somewhat incorrect.<br /><br />Look forward to hearing details of your new training and what you will be doing in the next weeks and months<br /><br />tks for taking the time<br /><br />cheers <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Ranger,<br /><br />can you answer this please, you may have missed the questions<br /><br />cheer

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 21st, 2005, 8:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrancoisA+Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrancoisA @ Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I still think John's performance on the 2K is not quite in line with his ability to pull 1:33 and his supposedly good endurance[right] </td></tr></table><br />Thank you for your nice comments, Francois.<br /><br />What is your max drive in relation to your 2k and how did you do it?<br /><br />There is a thread on the UK forum about max drive compared to 2k times, and my percentage was right in the middle, so it is nothing unusual.<br /><br />

[old] PaulS

Competitions

Post by [old] PaulS » December 21st, 2005, 8:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 21 2005, 04:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Dec 21 2005, 04:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Dec 21 2005, 04:06 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Dec 21 2005, 04:06 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I (obviously) _have_ listened to you, Paul. I have taken quite a bit of your advice </td></tr></table><br />See, Paul. <br /><br />You can't escape so easily when Rich drops out of races like you do. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As JR would find out, if he got in a boat, erging is not necessarily rowing. </td></tr></table><br />Well I usually row on the erg, and haven't tried erging, so I'd likely be fine in a boat.<br /><br />However I am not interested in boating so much. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, I see something. Though I have never dropped out of a race I have entered.<br /><br />Let's just say I've got nothing to prove, and yes, the Slides are fine, no tougher or easier than without them.<br /><br />Perhaps you should put up a video of yourself "rowing on the Erg", surely your camera can take a video clip, and you have already shown that you can take a picture of your garage.<br /><br />If there were a performance good enough to shut you up for good, I'd do it, but I'm quite certain you would just continue to be insulting.<br /><br />You should just stick to your mega distance slow rows, as you have no understanding of anything else.

[old] FrancoisA

Competitions

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 21st, 2005, 8:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 22 2005, 12:35 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Dec 22 2005, 12:35 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-FrancoisA+Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrancoisA @ Dec 21 2005, 04:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I still think John's performance on the 2K is not quite in line with his ability to pull 1:33 and his supposedly good endurance[right] </td></tr></table><br />Thank you for your nice comments, Francois.<br /><br />What is your max drive in relation to your 2k and how did you do it?<br /><br />There is a thread on the UK forum about max drive compared to 2k times, and my percentage was right in the middle, so it is nothing unusual. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />John, I am still a newbie, having just completed my second million meters.<br />My max drive for three consecutive strokes is 1:35 and my 2K PB is 6:55.7 (done a week ago).<br />I think I am better at longer distances (60 min: 16031 m, done last Saturday).<br /><br />Cheers!<br /><br />Francois

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 21st, 2005, 9:06 pm

Francois,<br /><br />Those are very good times, especially the 2k.<br /><br />I am sure you could go much faster for the max drive although there is no reason to do it.

[old] PaulS

Competitions

Post by [old] PaulS » December 21st, 2005, 10:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 21 2005, 03:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Dec 21 2005, 03:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well you posted elsewhere that you are "afraid" to complete any more races.<br /><br />Because they "hurt" too much.... train hard, race easy right?      <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Okay, so here's the results, since that sounds like a challenge to "Race Easy".<br /><br />I set up the "Good pace boat Johnny" at your 2k PR pace of 1:51, but since I'm bigger and younger I thought that 2k would be too easy and perhaps twice the distance would be more fair, so set up 4k and "Off they went". You're right, I couldn't go that slow and passed through 2k with a considerable margin built up, then proceeded into the 2nd 2k and the lead was increasing all the way through to the end where I crossed the finish line with an avg pace of 1:49.5, HR=159 (UT1?), so there you go, "Racing Easy", though it wasn't much of a race. Oh yeah S10PS too. <br /><br />Due to only having the Holiday Challenge 200K training under my belt I was quite concerned about being able to keep up with such a stellar individual as yourself, but even that pace of yours was back in 2004 and you are 5 seconds slower for the 2k this year, how can that be?<br /><br />Cheers!

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 21st, 2005, 10:30 pm

PaulS,<br /><br />That's quite a fine effort and I am impressed that you hung on with the pace trying to keep up with me as well as you did. Checking the tables for age, gender, and weight class, although I am 22 pounds below the weight for lightweights, gives the following percentages of the world records for our divisions.<br /><br />My 7:29.2 (only 2k time trial this year) at age 59 ... <b>89.9% of the WR for AWG</b><br /><br />Your 1:49.5 pace (at a heart rate of 159) at age 42 ... <b>80.3%</b> of the WR for AWG<br /><br />Paul, I am impressed that you did a time trial, that you broke the 80% mark, and that you were willing to take me on, although maybe you figured your chances were better against me, than a 100 pound woman.

[old] PaulS

Competitions

Post by [old] PaulS » December 21st, 2005, 10:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 21 2005, 06:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Dec 21 2005, 06:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Paul, I am impressed that you did a time trial, that you broke the 80% mark, and that you were willing to take me on, although maybe you figured your chances were better against me, than a 100 pound woman.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm sorry John, you misunderstand, this was not a time trial, just and easy "hop on the Erg and go", I have a feeling you are right that my chances against you are better than a 100lb woman. And it was not 2k, but 4k at a pace faster than your Personal Record 2k Pace. You still can't quite manage that 90th percentile can you (This could have been extended easily to 5k and that would ahve put it in the 90th percentile for my category)? Have you even made the 75th yet? Please keep trying. And any time you would like to make another challenge, feel free, but please make it more challenging. <br />Speaking of 100lb girls, near as I can tell Joan Is kicking your butt and is even lighter than you, though a bit younger and far better looking.<br /><br />All the best.

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 22nd, 2005, 12:02 am

80.3 percent for me is a 2:05.8 pace, which I can do for a very long time. <br /><br />Much farther than a 4k.

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 22nd, 2005, 12:04 am

Yes Joan is quite speedy. Her PATT score is 100 percent!

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 22nd, 2005, 12:05 am

Keep trying, Paul!