Head Of The Charles

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] champrow

Competitions

Post by [old] champrow » October 15th, 2005, 1:38 pm

i'm in a high school four that is rowing for the first time at the head of the charles and i was wondering if anybody had any tips for the coxie to navigate those turns because we know that theycan me tricky.<br />thanks so much.

[old] rspenger

Competitions

Post by [old] rspenger » October 15th, 2005, 3:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-champrow+Oct 15 2005, 10:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(champrow @ Oct 15 2005, 10:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i'm in a high school four that is rowing for the first time at the head of the charles and i was wondering if anybody had any tips for the coxie to navigate those turns because we know that theycan me tricky.<br />thanks so much. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />There is a video out on it, especially for coxswains and singles. Perhaps your coach can get a copy of it. It is called "Head of the Charles Regatta Instructional Video," "Navigation, Safety, Sportsmanship, & Tactics." It is produced by: CR Rowing Project, Inc., a not for profit charitable foundation. Address: P.O. Box 331820, Coconut Grove, Florida 33233-1820<br /><br />Bob S.<br /><br />P.S. I still haven't figured out how the "Head of the Charles" has gotten to be such a big deal. I had never heard of it until I got into masters' rowing 10 or 15 years ago after a 40 year absence from the sport. I was wondering how I had missed out on such a long standing tradition. Then I found out that it has no tradition at all - it has only been around 20 to 30 years - just another Johnny-come-lately regatta.

[old] Cran

Competitions

Post by [old] Cran » October 15th, 2005, 3:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i was wondering if anybody had any tips for the coxie to navigate those turns </td></tr></table><br />Don't crash into anything! <br /><br />If your rudder breaks steer with your hands...

[old] Mike McGuirk

Competitions

Post by [old] Mike McGuirk » October 16th, 2005, 11:54 am

<!--QuoteBegin-champrow+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(champrow)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i'm in a high school four that is rowing for the first time at the head of the charles and i was wondering if anybody had any tips for the coxie to navigate those turns because we know that theycan me tricky.<br />thanks so much.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />champrow,<br />If you haven't already, check the web site. There is lots of good info for you there including <a href='http://www.hocr.org/competitors/steerin ... harles.asp' target='_blank'>Steering the Charles</a> and <a href='http://www.hocr.org/competitors/coxswain_clinic.asp' target='_blank'>info about the coxswains clinic.</a><br />MM<br /><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bob S.<br /><br />P.S. I still haven't figured out how the "Head of the Charles" has gotten to be such a big deal. I had never heard of it until I got into masters' rowing 10 or 15 years ago after a 40 year absence from the sport. I was wondering how I had missed out on such a long standing tradition. Then I found out that it has no tradition at all - it has only been around 20 to 30 years - just another Johnny-come-lately regatta.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />rspenger,<br />According to the web site, the first race was on October 16, 1965 ... let's see that would be 40+ years ago.<br />MM