How Important Is Technique On The Erg?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » June 26th, 2005, 6:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->5K: 1:43 to 1:30 </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry. Typo.<br /><br />1:43 to 1:40<br /><br />ranger

[old] Xeno

Competitions

Post by [old] Xeno » June 26th, 2005, 9:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-GoodC+Jun 26 2005, 05:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GoodC @ Jun 26 2005, 05:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks for all your feedbacks and helpful advices…!  <br /><br />After all I’ve heard now, I’ll definitely try to get used to lower settings…<br />(It hasn’t to be damper setting 1 or 2 though… ) <br /><br />Nevertheless, as far as I understood most of you experienced guys train at low settings, but slightly set higher for competitions anyway…, is this correct?<br /><br />It would be very interesting for me to know at which damper settings (or df) exactly you cracks are doing your competitions. (or is this a secret?!)  <br /><br />Xeno for example says: <br />“I cannot be efficient in racing if I row at a lower damper setting than six” <br />Does this mean that you did your great 2k 5:53 probably at an even higher setting than 6? <br /><i>(This “5:53” by the way, were the reason why I actually came into this competition stuff; I once saw this time in a newspaper – guess you mentioned it in connection with your preparation for Athens…However, it was great motivation for me to see how “close”  I can get…!)</i><br />Of course I would be also very interested in Dwayns competition settings… <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi<br />I must have reaced at 7.5 resistance. I find that using a brand spanking new ergo gives me an advantage over an older machine which already has bunch of Kms.<br />I know that Rob Waddell was LOW drag, this is the reason why the MODEL C has the "hot zone" on the resistance scale at 3 I believe.<br />I hope you had a good weekend.<br />XENO

[old] runningun

Competitions

Post by [old] runningun » July 19th, 2005, 3:11 pm

The question of low vs high drag factors shows up every few months. The very BEST advice I ever saw (can't remember who said it but I think it was Paul Flack/canoeist) was: high/heavy drag factors are like rowing a rowboat--low/light drag factors are like rowing a racing scull.<br /> You'll find a lot of very big, strong experienced oarsmen using their C2s at a drag factor of 100 to 110.<br />