New World Record For Lightweight Men

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Christine

Competitions

Post by [old] Christine » April 10th, 2005, 10:34 am

Hei,<br />yesterday there was a marathon event in Oslo. There were 37 rowers there. Most of them rowed half marathon. One of the rowers rowing the whole distance was 26 year old Gjermund Soerstad (Baerum Roklubb, Norway). He rowed the 42 195m in 2:33:05, which is a new record for Lightweight men. <br />If you want to see pictures: <a href='http://www.kondis.no' target='_blank'>www.kondis.no</a> or <a href='http://www.baerum-roklubb.no/hva-har-sk ... rekord.php' target='_blank'>www.baerum-roklubb.no</a><br /><br />Cheers <br />Christine

[old] Arno

Competitions

Post by [old] Arno » April 10th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Hei Christine,<br />Quite a viking this Gjermund you have! The links you gave told that you rowed an impressive time yourself on half-marathon. Congrats for that! The link also told you were sick during the week? You hopefully did not pull extremely hard. Keep on your impressive Norwegian erging!<br />Cheers,<br /><br />Arno

[old] Christine

Competitions

Post by [old] Christine » April 10th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Hei Arno,<br />do you speek norwegian?<br />I was very carefull and rowed the half marathon as a training. I was 4 min. off my PB. Next year I will attack my PB!<br /><br />Christine

[old] Arno

Competitions

Post by [old] Arno » April 11th, 2005, 6:09 am

Christine,<br />Being lucky with two mother tongues, Finnish and Swedish. Thus being able to manage Norwegian at least better than Danish <br />Good luck to you with future PBs.<br /><br />Arno

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » April 11th, 2005, 7:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Christine+Apr 10 2005, 09:34 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Christine @ Apr 10 2005, 09:34 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hei,<br />yesterday there was a marathon event in Oslo. There were 37 rowers there. Most of them rowed half marathon. One of the rowers rowing the whole distance was 26 year old Gjermund Soerstad (Baerum Roklubb, Norway). He rowed the 42 195m in 2:33:05, which is a new record for Lightweight men.  <br />If you want to see pictures: <a href='http://www.kondis.no' target='_blank'>www.kondis.no</a> or <a href='http://www.baerum-roklubb.no/hva-har-sk ... rekord.php' target='_blank'>www.baerum-roklubb.no</a><br /><br />Cheers <br />Christine <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Christine--<br /><br />2:33 is indeed a good marathon, but again, certainly it must be just lack of interest or lack of opportunity that has the lwt open WR at that level. Hwt 50s rowers such as Rob Slocum can do 2:32 for the marathon and Slocum doesn't even break 6:30 for 2K. Perhaps I am wrong in this, but it seems to me that that guys such as Eskild, especially when they are in their prime, would find rowing at 1:49 for a marathon a pretty easy walk in the park. Eskild does 1:40 pace for an hour.<br /><br />As we have discussed many times, there is a problem with the notion "record" in indoor rowing, especially for the distances other than 2K, and (I would guess) especially for distances most removed from 2K, such as the marathon. <br /><br />ranger<br /><br />

[old] Ralph Earle

Competitions

Post by [old] Ralph Earle » April 12th, 2005, 6:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />2:33 is indeed a good marathon, but again, certainly it must be just lack of interest or lack of opportunity that has the lwt open WR at that level. Hwt 50s rowers such as Rob Slocum can do 2:32 for the marathon and Slocum doesn't even break 6:30 for 2K. Perhaps I am wrong in this, but it seems to me that that guys such as Eskild, especially when they are in their prime, would find rowing at 1:49 for a marathon a pretty easy walk in the park. Eskild does 1:40 pace for an hour.<br /><br />As we have discussed many times, there is a problem with the notion "record" in indoor rowing, especially for the distances other than 2K, and (I would guess) especially for distances most removed from 2K, such as the marathon. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Must you always throw sand in other people's ice cream?<br /><br />The race record for male lightweights age 50-54 is held by New Zealand's Theo Hirschi, 2:53:02.0; the record for age 55-59 is held by Stein Mørk, 2:50:50.9.<br /><br />Since I'm sure you don't advocate recognizing times purporteddly achieved outside of open competition as worthy of world record status, why not go to Christiania Rokklub next year and beat either of those marks? <br /><br />Then you'll have some authority to tell us how pathetically easy it was -- even with a break for lunch -- and how certain you are that, were you only 30 years younger, a 2:33:00 would be too slothful to admit. <br /><br />- Ralph

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » April 12th, 2005, 8:23 am

Ranger,<br /><br />As you once stated "Some of the lightweight records look "soft". I don't know if this one qualifies as "soft", but I send my congratulations to Mr. Gjermund Soerstad for at least doing the distance and rowing his best. Anyone can be an armchair admiral and criticize other's achievements. It takes a bit more character to go out and actually do the deed - even if it may be a bit short on everyone's expectations.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » April 12th, 2005, 11:17 am

From the pictures on Christine's links it appears that it was done on a deck at the edge of a fjord. Looks pleasant enough.<br /><br />Also noticed that Tore Foss is back in action with the 2nd fastest time by anyone in the half-marathon, being edged out by a young 35-year-oldster.<br /><br />Great job by Stein Mørk to put on this annual event. Maybe in retirement I can get over there myself some year to join in.<br /><br />Rick

[old] NavigationHazard

Competitions

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » April 12th, 2005, 11:25 am

Foss' HM time of 1:14:40 or so was not too far off his age-group WR of two years ago.<br /><br />Impressive indeed.<br /><br />JB

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » April 12th, 2005, 2:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Since I'm sure you don't advocate recognizing times purporteddly achieved outside of open competition as worthy of world record status </td></tr></table><br /><br />Why assume this? I assume nothing of the sort. In fact, letting _any_ row stand as a world record would indeed be a first sort of "check" on the legitimacy of a "record". If certain rows (such as marathons) are seldom done in competition, or in some places in the world _never_ done in competition, then how can the "record" be only a row done in competition? This makes no sense.<br /><br />By the way, I won't take the time to look up the exact effort, but Graham Watt registers a 2:39 marathon for the 50s lwts this year. <br /><br />When my stroke is repaired, I'll indeed be doing some marathons. Don't know when that will be, though. With the increased the power in my stoke, it is exactly endurance that is hard for me to muster at the moment. I am working on it, though. It's coming around.<br /><br />ranger

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » April 12th, 2005, 2:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anyone can be an armchair admiral and criticize other's achievements. </td></tr></table><br /><br />No criticism intended. Just realism. Doing your best and setting a world record are not necessarily the same thing. Criticizing how records are established and criticizing someone's efforts are also not the same thing.<br /><br />If no distinctions are made in a discusison, there is no (substantial) discussion.<br /><br />So it goes. <br /><br />As you will...<br /><br />ranger

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » April 13th, 2005, 4:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The race record for male lightweights age 50-54 is held by New Zealand's Theo Hirschi, 2:53:02.0; the record for age 55-59 is held by Stein Mørk, 2:50:50.9.<br /><br />why not go to Christiania Rokklub next year and beat either of those marks? </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I don't see the point, Ralph, even if I were able. I have rowed 2:40 (with my old stroke). When my new stroke is finally developed as it should be, I think I will row 2:35. With my new stroke, I can't row much of a marathon at all (at the moment). I am working on it, though.<br /><br />ranger

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » April 13th, 2005, 9:05 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Apr 13 2005, 08:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Apr 13 2005, 08:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will row 2:35. With my new stroke<br /><br />ranger <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Get a trial version of RowPro, and let me know when you want to go for it. I could be your pace boat for a good portion of the marathon.<br /><br />(Please wait a month to do this so that RowPro "final version" get sorted.)<br /><br />Paul Flack<br />

[old] alexroma60

Competitions

Post by [old] alexroma60 » April 27th, 2005, 11:06 am

By my name is Alex. I have the absoluty italian record in the marathon (42.195) with the time 2:51.08. I'm 45 years old and i'm happy of my race. Hallo an all and row by Alex

[old] Rocket Roy

Competitions

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » May 2nd, 2005, 11:59 am

Hey Alex, well done on youur row and being the Italian Champion.<br /><br /> I wish my Italian was as good as your English.<br /><br />Rich, so you think 2.33 is poor for a FM by a lwt???? I think it's a bloody good effort and congrats to the new world record holder!<br /><br />If you can do better get over there and do it. Simple really.