Nbpt Erg 2km Championships, Part Deux

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 3rd, 2004, 2:08 pm

This was so much fun last year that I've decided to do it again:<br><br><b>Newburyport Erg 2km Championships, Part Deux</b> (the world's most accomodating erg race)<br><br>(Tentatively) <b>Sunday, January 23rd, 2005</b> (I DO NOT want to conflict with any other erg race and would rather switch dates than to have two races on the same weekend)<br><br>Time: Probably early (9:00am start?) (No football playoff game until 3:00pm, so no excuse not to attend) <br><br><b>Newburyport, Massachusetts</b><br><br>Everyone welcome<br><br>No Entry Fee (therefore keep expectations of ammenities low)<br><br>Venue, small, my retail store at 49 Pleasant Street with the racks moved out of the way. Last year we raced 3 to a heat (plus some internet participants)<br><br><br>Details will start to evolve starting now. Last year we had 11 ergers in the building and seveal others from around the world via the internet. We had men, women, Model C's, a Model D, & Slides (even a Slide Triple). There were ice scrapers for awards, the coveted PaulS Sledgehammer Award for the fastest time of the day, the Bridge Street Toys Mini-Sledge and Tackhammer Awards for the fastest woman and fastest lightweight. There was both coffee and water for refreshment.<br><br>This year may be different, but hopefully just as much fun. I've already scrounged up two ball-bearing-handled leather jumpropes that can be used for warmups if anyone is so inclined. Floor mats will be available for stretching and/or situps.<br><br>Contact me at Rick22056(at)aol(dot)com, or by telephone at 978-465-0977<br><br>Rick Bayko (Grand Poobah of the NE2KC)<br><br>

[old] rickm

Competitions

Post by [old] rickm » December 3rd, 2004, 4:12 pm

Glad to hear the classic will continue. I still have my scrappers from Nbpt #1 displayed proudly. I'll be there.

[old] Kudos

Competitions

Post by [old] Kudos » December 3rd, 2004, 4:49 pm

It sounds very tempting, it will all hinge on how far you are away from me. Anyway you can get me directions from the Mass Pike? I like how casual this sounds.

[old] ebolton

Competitions

Post by [old] ebolton » December 3rd, 2004, 4:50 pm

Hey, I work in Newburyport. Might be my public erging debut!<br><br>Ed<br><br>

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 3rd, 2004, 5:26 pm

Kudos, where are you coming from? I'm roughly and hour and a half from the Auburn exit of the Mass Pike. Directions would be a little different if you come from there compared to coming from around the Rt.128 exit in Wellesley, about one hour away.<br><br>Ed, how can you resist? Stop in someday when you are downtown to check out the venue. The store is across the street from the Unitarian Church on Pleasant Street.<br><br>Rick

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 3rd, 2004, 5:30 pm

Rick, good to have the return of one of the 11 people who have participated every previous NE2KC. There should be ample time after the event to dine at the world famous Agawam Diner. (Can you bring your erg again for racing or warmups?)<br><br>Rick

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 3rd, 2004, 11:29 pm

I will try to be there again with slides and erg. Bridge Street Toys can donate another mini-sledge and tack hammer for prizes.<br><br>Now that we finally figured out how to connect two or more ergs on E-row, we will have to learn how to deal with RowPro!<br><br>Thanks for hosting again, Rick.<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] dennish

Competitions

Post by [old] dennish » December 3rd, 2004, 11:53 pm

Rick, Good man. Best trophies going. Reconsider the jump rope, however. Mile High Sprints are the 22nd, so may have to take a pass, but the ice scrappers are huge incentive. Also had a thought from God knows where the other day about you making to and from Birmingham and no trashed body parts. Whats up with that? Can't wait to hook up in Boston. You're roomate is knocking himself out , big surprize there, the namesake of the sledge is killing me , and John and Graham are slacking to give us some room , and Mary is as focused and determined as ever she has been . Best of luck with the race. Can any erg race be more tongue in cheek that Boston? Hmmmm.

[old] michaelb

Competitions

Post by [old] michaelb » December 5th, 2004, 12:23 am

I was tempted to drive down last year, but we didn't get much advance notice if I remember correctly. It sounded like fun. I have never raced before, and really hardly ever row 2k time trials, but am planning to start giving them a serious try in Jan-March (and hopefully going sub7).<br><br>I guess the question for me is if I am going to drive from Vt to Ma for a rowing race, should I skip the preliminaries and just sign up for the crash-bs? Your venue sounds a whole lot more user friendly, but then I don't get to watch all the other big name stars. If I decide not to come down, I would like to row online via rowpro.<br><br>So I guess my first official competion will be either the Newburyport Championships, the Crash-bs, or the OIRC.

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 5th, 2004, 9:20 am

Paul, good to have you back. I have slides too now, so we can try another triple. And if FrankJ comes again and brings his slides we could try a quintuple. First commitment of prizes too. Good. I will again be providing a sledgehammer for the PaulS Sledgehammer Award for the fastest time of the day. So far you are the early favorite.<br><br>Dennis, too bad about the scheduling of the MHS. If you came here instead and won I would provide gas money from here to Boston for CRASH-B's. Would that sway you? Good to have the whole gang in full training. If I ever hit the lottery I'll fly the whole bunch in for a future NE2KC.<br><br>Michael, if you can only get away one weekend then CRASH-B's would be the one to go to. The NE2KC is certainly a less intimidating way to get one's feet wet, and would serve as a good preliminary to prepare you somewhat for Boston if you can manage to do both. We had a few first-timers last year and they seemed to enjoy it and exceeded their expectations when they raced. I don't know yet about the online possibilites this year. Paul and Frank handled that last year and I'm unfortunately still unconnected. I hope it can be done again. I still have the erow software installed on the work computer.<br><br>Rick

[old] TomR/the elder

Competitions

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » December 5th, 2004, 9:58 pm

Rick--<br><br>The free water is a big incentive. Plus I'd get to see a mite-sized BIRC brone medalist tear up the competition. Newburyport is a bit of a ride for me, but I might be tempted.<br><br>Tom Rawls

[old] dennish

Competitions

Post by [old] dennish » December 5th, 2004, 10:25 pm

Rick, Damned decent offer, but I'll never beat Flack, so there I'd be stuck in Newburyport and no trans to Boston. Hmmm that might not be all bad. Oh yeah, convincing the better half to bankroll the initial get there costs might be a detriment as well. You'd think the woman had never erged. Water, ice scrappers, slides, how about restrooms. Bet you can beat the B's on that one. And I noticed that you slyly moved right over the question about going to Birmingham and not coming home with some injury. What gives? later, live strong. d

[old] rickm

Competitions

Post by [old] rickm » December 6th, 2004, 2:45 pm

I'll bring my C2. Its model C with D handles and PM. let me know if you want to get together for workout.

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 6th, 2004, 7:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dennish+Dec 6 2004, 02:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (dennish @ Dec 6 2004, 02:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'll never beat Flack<br><br> d <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I am not so fast this year. The PaulS sledge might well go to another this year - hopefully not to a skinny.<br><br>I see Rick Martin is planning to return. If he has been training consistantly, he will have to ensure that some lightweight doesn't walk off with both the sledge and the tack hammers. <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 7th, 2004, 8:03 am

Tom, it would be great to have you. You would be the first Vermont participant in the history of the event. Free Water was a big draw at Wall Drug in South Dakota. I had a glass of it myself in 1972, after having seen the signs for it on the highway for more than 500 miles.<br><br>Dennis, last year we had 1 restroom for every 11 participants. Not a bad ratio. I'm sorry to report NO physical tradgedies in Birmingham. I can't claim to have overcome any major obstacles. My only problem the whole trip was having my new, expensive, noise-cancelling headphones lost/stolen at Logan Airport's "security" checkpoint. They were meant to help me sleep on the plane. Does that count?<br><br>Rick, thanks for bringing your machine again. That brings us up to 4, and probably 5 ergs so far. Should make warming up easier for everyone. I don't know about workouts for awhile. I'm currently on a seven day work schedule due to the holiday season. (Retail can suck sometimes) I'm tending to do everything early in the day.<br><br>Paul, don't give up on the PaulS Sledgehammer Award so quickly. Remember that we allow "cheating,".....er, Slides for competition here. You should also bring along some erg-jacking 2 X 4's for demonstration purposes. Those are NOT allowed for racing, but might be fun to try out afterward.<br><br>Rick (Grand Poobah of the NE2KC)