Selection Update

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] c2bill

USIR Dev Squad: Training

Post by [old] c2bill » November 4th, 2005, 2:37 pm

There have been some amazing performances and truly dedicated training put in over the past few months - culminating in the recent 2k time trial. Thanks to all who have submitted their times, and contributed to this forum.<br /><br />We've collected the results of your test pieces, and submitted them to the coaches for consideration. At this point, we are planning on announcing the results of the selection this coming Monday afternoon (November 7th).<br /><br />Regards,<br />Concept2 Indoor Race Group (lisa, noel, brickett, robert and bill)

[old] lgwashburn

Post by [old] lgwashburn » November 8th, 2005, 5:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2bill+Nov 4 2005, 02:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2bill @ Nov 4 2005, 02:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There have been some amazing performances and truly dedicated training put in over the past few months - culminating in the recent 2k time trial. Thanks to all who have submitted their times, and contributed to this forum.<br /><br />We've collected the results of your test pieces, and submitted them to the coaches for consideration. At this point, we are planning on announcing the results of the selection this coming Monday afternoon (November 7th).<br /><br />Regards,<br />Concept2 Indoor Race Group (lisa, noel, brickett, robert and bill) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Here are the team members:<br />Karen Gress<br />Katrina Lundstedt<br />Veronika Platzer<br />Luanne Mills<br />Joan Van Blom<br />Chrissie Monaghan OR Libby Peters (they tied and will row again)<br />Robert Meenk, Jr.<br />Jonathan Bone<br />Robert Spenger<br />Roman Shor<br />James Castellan<br />Dennis Hastings<br /><br />Congratulations!<br /><br />Lisa

[old] dadams

Post by [old] dadams » November 9th, 2005, 9:22 am

Congratulations to all of you who made the team this year. Now go get some of that gold!!!!!! <br /><br />Dwayne

[old] Mike Caviston

Post by [old] Mike Caviston » November 9th, 2005, 2:11 pm

Congratulations to everyone on this year's USIRT. Have fun and race well in Copenhagen!<br /><br />Mike Caviston

[old] libbypeters

Post by [old] libbypeters » November 25th, 2005, 12:45 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this...<br /><br />Does anyone who went to the EIRC last year know what kind of training we should be doing at this point? I'm not used to doing sprints in the fall, but I've been logging lots and lots of steady state. This morning I did my 50' of steady and then 2 sets of :45 on/1:15 rest X 8 at about 6-7 splits faster than 2k pace. My other workout is 2 sets of 500m at pace X 6 with lots of rest in between. We've got 8 more days til the races right?<br /><br />Any suggestions would be great! I am thrilled about the trip and can't wait to meet all of you!<br /><br />Now I must go run off a little more turkey. <br /><br />Libby

[old] NavigationHazard

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » November 26th, 2005, 10:57 am

Libby, the <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... tructuring' target='_blank'>Training Guide on the C2 UK site</a> has this to say:<br /><br />Tapering<br /><br />For seven to ten days prior to an important competition you should taper off your training. Some people think that to reduce training doses at this time will lead to a loss of fitness but this is not true. Training is a combination of overload and super-compensation. This means that during exercise the body is brought to the point of exhaustion and, during the recovery period, the body recuperates to a point of greater capacity than before. The super-compensation period lasts for seven to ten days after the end of a training regime and so any fears of a loss of condition are groundless. The best use of this time is to focus on race strategy, getting the pre-race warm-up right, and polishing up technique. It is important to avoid the build up of lactic acid close to competition. The longest single piece of high intensity work should not exceed 90 seconds. A couple of these at the beginning of the final week should be okay, cutting back to bursts of 30 seconds in the days immediately preceding competition. If preparing for a 2,000m race, we recommend that the total number of hard strokes during the whole of the tapering period should not exceed 300. An example of a week of tapering is shown below. This is the last week before a 2,000m race and assumes that you have trained conscientiously for the event. You should find that you are able to do much more work than is on the schedule. This is a good sign but do not give into the temptation to do too much. You are tapering and should be getting rested and ready for your race, not making yourself overtired.<br /><br />Bearing in mind that I'm not a coach/physiologist, I don't know that I necessarily agree with all of it -- for one thing, people's ability to recover from hard sessions varies considerably, and what's optimum for 20something olympians may not necessarily be best for masters recretaional rowers; for another, not all 2k races are equal, and if you're planning to use one mainly to calibrate a training program I don't see any need to taper for it. But I don't think you can go wrong to habituate yourself (in submaximal intervals) to your planned race pace/stroke rating, or to smooth out your technique with the steady-state stuff you're already doing, or to do a few short high-intensity pieces to activate your fast-twitch muscles.

[old] libbypeters

Post by [old] libbypeters » November 26th, 2005, 11:42 am

NH-<br /><br />Sweeet. Thank you very much for all of that. Seems like I should not do anything out of the ordinary and start really resting up after today or tomorrow. <br /><br />Enjoy your weekend! See you soon.<br /><br />Best,<br />LP