Introduction

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] SteveS

USIR Dev Squad: Introductions

Post by [old] SteveS » July 22nd, 2005, 9:59 pm

Steve Schaffran here, introducing myself. <br /><br />Facts: <br />Age 62, height 5’9”, weight 163 - 173 lbs; reside in Richmond, California, with Ellen Braithwaite, director of Open Water Rowing in Sausaliito; work organizing ventures in publishing software, photonics instrumentation, organic farming and Argentine viticulture. <br /><br />Interests in rowing and erging: <br />My primary interest is sculling. I find it easier to race on the water than on an erg, and in a good year do about a dozen 1k regattas and head races and one marathon-distance ocean race. This has not been a good year, though: too much traveling.<br />I obsess about improving technique in sculling and fitness in erging. In both cases I read the technical literature, pester coaches with lots of questions, collect training logs from world record holders, and cultivate an appreciation for remarkable performers. <br />As an example of the last of these activities, I’d like to share my experience from the 2005 Crash-B’s that the pleasure of watching Graham Watt, Georgina Evers-Swindell, and Paul Hendershott almost made up for how bad I felt at the end of my piece.<br /><br />I'm grateful to C2 for organizing this group, because it has got me training again after a four months break. It will be interesting to see how fast and how far I can make it back by the qualifying races, whenever those might be. Does anyone know?<br /><br />Cheers

[old] jreich

Post by [old] jreich » July 25th, 2005, 8:52 pm

Hi All,<br /><br />I am John Reich (36 LW or at least pretty close to being lightweight). I noticed the development squad opportunity a couple weeks ago and took it is a sign to give serious erging one more try. I trained to make the team last year but got injured in Sept. and lost too much training time to have a good shot at rowing under 6:17. My personal best is 6:35.1 which I rowed last December while getting ready to qualify for CRASH-B. I got injured again and didn't qualify. 10 years ago this injury stuff just didn't happen.<br /><br />I rowed for two years at Cornell(1987-89) then didn't row again until two years ago when I moved to Rochester, MN. I joined the Rochester Rowing Club and learned to scull. A month ago I moved to Scottsdale, AZ, and I have joined the Rio Salado Rowing Club and have been getting on the water twice/week. <br /><br />I have not erged since June 5th when I did a 100K. It took 7:46 and is currently listed as the 30-39 lightweight world record. Luckily for me my age group was a little soft. Some of the other records are ridiculous.<br /><br />After rowing in college I went back to to running and spent a lot of time focusing on the marathon. My marathon PR is 2:23. I have also run 49:55 for 10 miles and finished the Western States 10 Mile run in 1999. <br /><br />I am in modest shape currently running 4 times/week, rowing on the water twice and biking once. I also lift weights and practice yoga. The heat has been a challenge for me. I should have an erg by the end of this week and will begin doing the scheduled workouts in addition to what I have been doing.<br /><br />I look forward to getting into peak shape with the rest of you and want to thank Cocept 2 for the opportunity.<br /><br />Best of luck to everyone.

[old] klundstedt

Post by [old] klundstedt » July 25th, 2005, 10:37 pm

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>Hi, my name is Katrina Lundstedt and I'm 35. (Women's 30-39 HW)<br /><br />Rowing and other sports background...<br />My rowing experience starts this year - January 2005. I was introduced to the erg as part of a program at Club One in San Francisco (thanks to Jim Karanas and Mark Sutro!). I participated in a marathon row breaking the 3 hour mark, I've rowed a 30minute piece over 7,600 meters and my 2k time is 7:17.6.<br /><br />I was a swimmer (middle/long distance) through high school and in college. I stayed active recreationally and then more seriously again in my 30s - started with open water swims, added some runs, started mountain and road biking, then did a handful of triathalons ending with Ironman Canada in 2003. <br /><br />I have been looking for a new challenge and I think I've found it! (c:<br /><br />I'm looking forward to the next few months.<br />All the best.... Katrina<br /><br /></span></span>

[old] kheflin

Post by [old] kheflin » July 25th, 2005, 11:23 pm

Hi, I’m Kathy J. K. Heflin, and I'm 16 years old. I go to a prep boarding school in Connecticut for high school, but my home in is Topeka, Kansas. I started rowing freshman year at my school in Connecticut, Choate Rosemary Hall, which is only sweeping, mostly fours. When I came home, I found a crew team here in my home town, so I learned to scull with the Topeka Rowing Association during holiday breaks and during the summer. We just got back from nationals in Indianapolis, where I was a semi-finalist in my single and doubles races. Now that nationals are over I plan on replacing at least one of my two-a-day water workouts with an erg workout, to start getting back into erg shape. My ergging prs include a 7:22.8 for a 2K, 15:30.1 for a 4K, and I can’t remember what my 6K is, but when I find it I’ll update you all. I went to Crash-Bs for the first time this year, and got 4th in the womens’ junior lightweight division with a non-pr of 7:29, and I’m planning on going to Crash-Bs again next year, although I’ve got about 10 lbs to lose since I’ve been working at Dairy Queen all summer between my morning and evening practices… hehe. <br /><br /><br />Yeah and below's a pic of my doubles partner and I at nationals (I'm the one with the C on my uni).<br />[attachmentid=48]<br /><br />And then her and I with a boys double from our team taking a uni shower together (I'm second from the right, the short one. Yeah, team bonding! UST (uni shower time), you should all try it. <br />[attachmentid=47]

[old] libbypeters

Post by [old] libbypeters » July 27th, 2005, 9:22 pm

Hey ergers,<br /><br />I'm a 22 year old female, and I row for Columbia University. We have a pretty long indoor season here when it gets too cold to row on the Harlem, which is usually from the very end of November until late February. This year I went to CRASH-B's and placed 4th in the LW women category and 1st in collegiate category with a 7:14, and my PR from just after that is a 7:12. This summer I went to Pocock in Seattle for a six week developmental sculling camp which was an amazing experience. I'm now sweep rowing with NYAC until Canadian Henley and then I'll be back at it with the Lions in the fall. Since June I've been on the water nearly everyday, twice a day, and taking it easy on the erg, but I'm looking forward to this Dev Squad because I'm sure it's going to be great motivation for all of us to get really fast on the machine over the next few months.<br /><br />I'm impressed by all those who have already posted- current team members, as well as really fast juniors and dedicated masters. Enjoy the rest of the summer!<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Libby

[old] Yvette

Post by [old] Yvette » July 28th, 2005, 8:27 pm

Hello,<br /><br /> My name is Yvette Knight (59 F, H) and I'm very excited to be on the DevSquad. I've been rowing on an Erg for about 2 1/2 years and consider myself to be a recreational rower. Just finished my first million K last weekend. Guess it's time to get serious about this sport. Someday I hope to row on water: sailing and canoeing are my only on-water experiences. <br /> <br /> Was at the Crash-B's in 2003, 4 & 5. Medaled this last year although I'd been sick and just managed an 8:59.6. ( 2004 time was 8:32.7) Have medals in my age group for the OIRC. I used to be a runner and did a few marathons although ten miles was my favorite distance. Also did aerobics and step aerobics for years.<br /><br /> I am now rowing 6 days a week and using a 14-week, RowPro training program for 2K competition. Build from 23K to 53K with lots of variety to keep me interested - guess I work best with a plan. <br /><br /> Until the DevSquad invitation, I was only rowing a little and now have found new inspiration - Thank you Concept2! <br /><br />Yvette

[old] carie

Post by [old] carie » August 7th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Hello-I just wrote a long and heartfelt introduction which I lost when I left computer to get a glass of water.<br /><br />Maybe it's in here someplace but I'm not holding my breath. If I find it I'll post it.<br /><br />I'm delighted to have been asked to be a member of the Development Squad. It gives me a goal. Normally I train from mid -November after the fall season to the CRASH-Bs. I do very little from mid-Feb. through November. Hopefully I will se you in December.<br /><br /><br />Good Luck to all of you and have fun.<br /><br />If I find my other and better post I will send.<br /><br />Carie Graves