Spyware Warning -threat In Email

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] CapeMary

CRASH-B Webcast

Post by [old] CapeMary » March 5th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Just a warning- I've spent most of my Sunday reclaiming my computer from a virus/spyware attachment that was in an email that looked like it was from Concept 2. I should have caught the 'dear friend' style greeting in the header( or something like that) but I didn't. it's from a company called 'spysheriff', and the final file that let me gain control, after running two different spyware programs, there was one file I had to go in and delete manually. C:/windows/system32/child.dll if any one else gets this problem :x

[old] Citroen

CRASH-B Webcast

Post by [old] Citroen » March 5th, 2006, 6:33 pm

<!--quoteo--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quotec--> it's from a company called 'spysheriff', and the final file that let me gain control, after running two different spyware programs, there was one file I had to go in and delete manually. C:/windows/system32/child.dll if any one else gets this problem :x<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />See the thread I posted on here at 08:16 GMT (3:16 am EST)<br /><br /><a href="http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3942" target="_blank">http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... 942</a><br /><br />Simple rule #1: DON'T ever click on a link in any email unless you 100% trust the source of the email and 100% trust the destination of the link. <br /><br />Simple rule #2: If the subject looks suspicious, send a reply to the originator asking them to confirm what they've sent and why they've sent it.<br /><br />Simple rule #3: Ditch Windoze and install Linux.

c2denah

CRASH-B Webcast

Post by c2denah » March 6th, 2006, 3:42 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58550:date=Mar 5 2006, 05:06 PM:name=CapeMary)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(CapeMary @ Mar 5 2006, 05:06 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Just a warning- I've spent most of my Sunday reclaiming my computer from a virus/spyware attachment that was in an email that looked like it was from Concept 2. I should have caught the 'dear friend' style greeting in the header( or something like that) but I didn't. it's from a company called 'spysheriff', and the final file that let me gain control, after running two different spyware programs, there was one file I had to go in and delete manually. C:/windows/system32/child.dll if any one else gets this problem :x<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thank you for letting everyone know about this Capemary and Citroen. I am posting this to confirm that, as stated , the original email did not come from Concept2. We do not ever share email addresses with any sources outside of Concept2. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone out there. <br /><br />Dena Hirchak<br />Concept2 Customer Service/Forum Administrator<br />