Rowing Music

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] balbec

FAQ

Post by [old] balbec » November 12th, 2004, 11:31 am

I find a bit of "The Best of Dave Pearse" or 2 many dj's where alot oftheir songs tend to elevate as the song follows on....and on...

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 18th, 2004, 6:33 pm

The Supremes have a great beat to row by. The timing is different than my stroke but, even so, has very nice effects on my rhythm.<br><br>On a related note, is it possible to copy an audio tape to the computer, separate the songs and copy them to CD?<br><br>If so, could you me know how to do this.<br><br>Thanks.

[old] michaelb

FAQ

Post by [old] michaelb » December 18th, 2004, 8:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Dec 18 2004, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (John Rupp @ Dec 18 2004, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> On a related note, is it possible to copy an audio tape to the computer, separate the songs and copy them to CD? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> First, you need an audio input jack. If you have a mac, you are probably all set. If you have a PC, you should look at your sound card and see if it has input jacks, or you may have a line in somewhere else on the computer. A mic jack probably won't work, but maybe there is a way to do that to. If you have the jack, almost certainly a miniplug, into the computer, then you need to hook up the tape deck to the computer with a cable (either miniplug to miniplug or RCA to miniplug). Depending on the quality of your cables and jacks, you may get a little buzz, so that can be an issue.<br><br>There is a lot of audio importing software out there. If you have Toast for CD burning, spin doctor is specifically for doing what you want (it may have a different name in windows). But there are lots of freeware versions too. Search versiontracker.com for audio import. Spin doctor will automatically divide a tape or album up into tracks, but you can also do that manually. On your computer, the inported audio will be an .aiff file, which is raw, uncompressed audio. You can burn those .aiff files directly to CD, since that is what a CD is, or you can rip it to mp3 or some other format for listening on your computer.

[old] John Rupp

FAQ

Post by [old] John Rupp » December 18th, 2004, 8:47 pm

Michael,<br><br>Thanks very much!<br><br>I do have an input jack (pc), and will look for a cable.

[old] FrancoisA

FAQ

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 20th, 2004, 2:40 pm

I find music by the Afro Celt Sound System, especially their Volume 2, excellent for visualization. It gives me the courage to reach for the stars!<br>I wouldn't listen to it for a recovery workout though: it would be impossible to go slow!<br>This is highly addictive stuff! It might help you achieve that elusive PB!<br><br>Cheers!

[old] eparizeau

FAQ

Post by [old] eparizeau » December 20th, 2004, 5:46 pm

I've found running I-tunes off my computer through a separately powered set of speakers get things up to the appropriate volume (...so that my love ones around the house start commenting/complaining)...<br><br>I have a bunch of friends who row together in the Crash-B Sprints (as the Sledgehammer Rowing Club). I recently polled them for their favorite music to erg by. Here is what I got back:<br><br>A Little Less Conversation More Action - Elvis Presley VS IXL<br><br>And The Crowd Goes Wild - Mark Wills<br><br>Elevation - U2<br><br>Full Force Gale - Van Morrison<br><br>Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer<br><br>Daddy's Money - Ricochet<br><br>Love's The Only House - Martina McBride<br><br>Right Now - Van Halen<br><br>We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel<br><br>Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks<br><br>Alternative Girlfriend - Barenaked Ladies<br><br>Suds in the Bucket - Sara Evans<br><br>Born To Run - Bruce Springstein<br><br>The Rolling Stones: Start Me Up, Jumping Jack Flash <br><br>Luther Alison: Low Down and Dirty <br><br>Stevie Ray Vaughn: Crossfire, Scuttle Buttin’ <br><br>Jonny Lang: Still Raining, Lie to Me <br><br>The Coasters: Run Red Run <br><br>And for the warmdown: Slim Harpo: Baby Scratch My Back<br><br>This is a great topic....hope others chime in.<br><br>Ernie

[old] Cran

FAQ

Post by [old] Cran » December 21st, 2004, 5:39 am

<br><span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Time to Burn - Storm</span></span></span>

[old] jkeehan

FAQ

Post by [old] jkeehan » December 22nd, 2004, 8:29 pm

"You Gotta Move"-Fred McDowell (Aerosmith version)

[old] SlugButt

FAQ

Post by [old] SlugButt » December 22nd, 2004, 9:33 pm

Some possibilities (although I make no claims about having good taste) . . . <br><br>Don't Stop Me Now - Queen<br>Paint It Black - Rolling Stones<br>Don't Cha Stop - Cars<br>Around My Heart - X<br>Clean Like Tomorrow - X<br>Call Me - Blondie<br>Come Out and Play - Offspring<br>Gimmie Shelter - Rolling Stones<br>Just Another Day - Oingo Boingo<br>Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf<br>Mirror in the Bathroom - English Beat<br>Not My Slave - Oingo Boingo<br>Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel<br>Pump It Up - Elvis Costello<br>Suffragete City - David Bowie<br>Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones<br>The Voice - Moody Blues<br>Twist and Crawl - English Beat<br>Two Princes - Spin Doctors<br>White Girl - X<br><br>

[old] cityeast

FAQ

Post by [old] cityeast » December 29th, 2004, 8:34 am

To me, music is a special thing, and like my clothes, I choose for the occasion. <br><br>Music has to match heart and mind to be truly effective. High BPM melodical dance/techno is great for cardio, the right combination tends to release my concious mind from weight of the physical task, and the body becomes mechanical, governed by the the heart that has become a slave to the beat. Before I know I realise I am both exhausted and exhilirated at the end of an hour that seemed more like 1 minute.<br><br>DJ Sash (Adelante), Groove Terminator (Losing Ground), Groove Armada, Faithless, and just about anything by an old defunct aussie band called South End seem to repeat in my workout selections.

[old] chickenlegs

FAQ

Post by [old] chickenlegs » December 29th, 2004, 10:06 pm

it's one of the great mysteries (to me) why gyms play repetitive, pointless techno-crap over and over.<br><br>to make it worse - they play it so loud that i can't hear my own music if i have headphones on.<br>fortunately i usually row at home.<br><br>most exercise is repetitive, whether it is anaerobic (weight lifting) or aerobic (running, rowing), so to give a contracted perception of time the music needs to be non-repetitive.<br><br>if it is also enjoyable to listen, that it having a pleasent melody, it can also make the time spent at the gym (=exercizing) more pleasent.<br>what is a pleasent melody is subjective, but gym techno-crap has NO melody, so it fails this parameter as well.<br><br><br>Some music that works for me:<br><br>Short pieces: U2, Rocky movie soundtrack, Van Halen.<br><br>Long pieces: Mozart's complete violin concerts, Beethoven 9th and 5th symphonies, Beethoven violin concert, Mark Knopfler 'Sailing to Philadelphia'.

[old] Warnie

FAQ

Post by [old] Warnie » December 30th, 2004, 8:11 am

Anything by Michael Jackson is a good workout, esp Invincible.

[old] Byron Drachman

FAQ

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » December 31st, 2004, 10:55 am

I find a nice Rossini opera is good for staying happy during a workout. Oops, am I showing my age? Different generation?<br>Byron

[old] Sir Pirate

FAQ

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » January 5th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Some of the best tunes for short work outs for me are- <br><br>Anastacia - Left Outside Alone<br>Anastacia - Paid my dues<br>Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy (Remix)<br>Furious Angels Instrumental<br>SugarBabes - Too Lost In You<br>The Prodigy - Fire Starter<br><br>and finally-<br>George Micheal - Amazing (Club Mix) Did my 2K PB to this<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Xavier

FAQ

Post by [old] Xavier » January 5th, 2005, 4:04 pm

Absolutely no-one will (or has) agreed with me on this, but classical music for longer rows is great. No words to worry about, the only thing you need to watch out for is making sure that the volume is high enough to cover the sound of the fan.<br><br>Failing that, the Comfort Eagle album by Cake is pretty ace.<br><br>And Phil, Furious Angels is pants.<br><br>Xav