How Long Is The Model D Handle?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] bigfatguineapig

FAQ

Post by [old] bigfatguineapig » June 15th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Hello,<br />How many inches long is the model D handle? Thanks

[old] Exrook

FAQ

Post by [old] Exrook » June 15th, 2005, 5:05 pm

I had to dig a bit , but I found this:<br /><br />"The handle measures 19" long which is slightly longer than our older wooden handle and features an ergonomic 10-degree bend. This slight angle, combined with the overall handle shape, better simulates the arm position of on-water rowing and provides a more comfortable rowing position throughout the rowing stroke. The handle is molded of glass-reinforced nylon providing additional strength without additional weight."<br /><br /> <br />

[old] akit110

FAQ

Post by [old] akit110 » June 15th, 2005, 7:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Exrook+Jun 15 2005, 05:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Exrook @ Jun 15 2005, 05:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had to dig a bit , but I found this:<br /><br />"The handle measures 19" long which is slightly longer than our older wooden handle and features an ergonomic 10-degree bend. This slight angle, combined with the overall handle shape, better simulates the arm position of on-water rowing and provides a more comfortable rowing position throughout the rowing stroke. The handle is molded of glass-reinforced nylon providing additional strength without additional weight." <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It is more ergonomic, but it started to hurt my elbows (i.e. tendonitis) so I switched back to the C handle. No complaints since. My perception is that the D handle is easier on the wrists but the C handle is easier on the elbows.

[old] ancho

FAQ

Post by [old] ancho » June 16th, 2005, 3:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-akit110+Jun 16 2005, 12:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(akit110 @ Jun 16 2005, 12:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It is more ergonomic, but it started to hurt my elbows (i.e. tendonitis) so I switched back to the C handle.  No complaints since.  My perception is that the D handle is easier on the wrists but the C handle is easier on the elbows. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you have problems with your elbows, try to row without spreading them, keep them always near to the body.

[old] NurseBobbi

FAQ

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 16th, 2005, 6:24 am

<span style='color:green'>I upgraded to the Model D handle on my Model B and find the new one to be more comfortable. There's a Model C (with its original handle) at the gym, so I go back and forth between the two. I haven't had any problems, though I prefer the feel of the Model D handle.</span>

[old] akit110

FAQ

Post by [old] akit110 » June 16th, 2005, 9:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Jun 16 2005, 03:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Jun 16 2005, 03:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-akit110+Jun 16 2005, 12:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(akit110 @ Jun 16 2005, 12:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It is more ergonomic, but it started to hurt my elbows (i.e. tendonitis) so I switched back to the C handle.  No complaints since.   My perception is that the D handle is easier on the wrists but the C handle is easier on the elbows. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />If you have problems with your elbows, try to row without spreading them, keep them always near to the body. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I no longer have problems with my elbows since returning to the C handle. I realize; however, that the D handle has a slight 'angle' which I think facilitates (unconscious) elbow spread on my part particularly since I tend to hold that handle at almost the widest points. The C handle being straight and narrower tends to foster elbows closer to the body (at least for me) though I prefer the 'feel' of the D handle. <br /><br />Actually, someone posted on the C2 UK forum about how he/she had heard that the UK rowing team had switched the D handles on their machines back to C handles due elbow tendonitis. <br />

[old] shu246

FAQ

Post by [old] shu246 » July 14th, 2005, 10:04 pm

i put a D handle on my model B a month or so ago. mostly i row at cruise speed an hour or so a day rather than sprints, so no major forces involved.<br /><br />overall i like the D handle. it seems lighter. the extra length and anhedral are nice. 'natural' hand position is different from the original straight wood handle. took a while to get used to, but no major elbow problem. the handle offers more alternative grip styles. <br /><br />worst thing about the original wood handle is the foam rubber grips, which soak up sweat and crud. the D handle is washable (nice) and textured for no slip. the worst part however is that it is also firmer and raises a callus at the end of the penultimate joint of the ring finger.<br />