Electrolytes

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] dingrr

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] dingrr » January 25th, 2006, 2:18 am

What do you use to replace your electrolytes? For years I've used plain water and a well balanced diet but I'm thinking I should use something like Accelerade, Endurox, Gatorade or Extran. I believe the studies back their use but I'm wondering which are the better products and which are marketing hype.

[old] Janice

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Janice » January 25th, 2006, 2:26 am

I've used EmergenC in the past, but have found that something as simple as watered down orange juice and a handful of pretzels do the job as well.

[old] BobD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] BobD » January 25th, 2006, 3:33 am

<!--QuoteBegin-dingrr+Jan 25 2006, 01:18 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dingrr @ Jan 25 2006, 01:18 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What do you use to replace your electrolytes?  For years I've used plain water and a well balanced diet but I'm thinking I should use something like Accelerade, Endurox, Gatorade or Extran.  I believe the studies back their use but I'm wondering which are the better products and which are marketing hype. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The last time I looked, most of these things had huge amounts of sugar in them...

[old] Steelhead

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steelhead » January 25th, 2006, 3:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BobD+Jan 25 2006, 12:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(BobD @ Jan 25 2006, 12:33 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-dingrr+Jan 25 2006, 01:18 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dingrr @ Jan 25 2006, 01:18 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What do you use to replace your electrolytes?  For years I've used plain water and a well balanced diet but I'm thinking I should use something like Accelerade, Endurox, Gatorade or Extran.  I believe the studies back their use but I'm wondering which are the better products and which are marketing hype. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The last time I looked, most of these things had huge amounts of sugar in them... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I prefer Cytomax: <a href='http://www.cytosport.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.cytosport.com/</a> BUT I usually just mix unfiltered, unpastuerized apple juice and water 1:4, with l-glutamine mixed in (shake before drinking). In most cases, however, water alone is fine during a long row.<br /><br />Just my two-bits worth.

[old] twija681

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] twija681 » January 25th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Horley's Replace. NZ product. Just helps the recovery just that little bit, even if its only a psychological edge.

[old] Roland Baltutis

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » January 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm

The problem with the common readily available Electrolyte fluid replacement products, such as Gatorade, is that they don't contain Magnesium.<br /><br />You need to find a product with magnesium, which is so important in preventing muscular cramps and spasms, as well as relieving muscular aches.<br /><br />I use <b>Endura</b> magnesium rehydration formula.<br />It is a powder that you mix with water and each dose contains:<br />Magnesium amino acid chelate 1.6g<br />Calcium amino acid chelate 220 mg<br />Potassium phosphate 417.5 mg<br />Sodium chloride 157.5 mg<br />375 kj (90 Cal) of energy<br /><br />www.endura.com.au<br /><br /><br />Rockin Roland<br /><br />

[old] gaffano

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] gaffano » January 25th, 2006, 11:01 pm

I use Ultima Replenisher...no sugar..just stevia..tastes iffy. Also use GU, small amount of sugar. I mostly use these while biking 1+ hrs...never for rowing..usually 30-60min for me.

[old] BobD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] BobD » January 26th, 2006, 3:38 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The problem with the common readily available Electrolyte fluid replacement products, such as Gatorade, is that they don't contain Magnesium.<br /><br />You need to find a product with magnesium, which is so important in preventing muscular cramps and spasms, as well as relieving muscular aches.<br /><br />I use <b>Endura</b> magnesium rehydration formula.<br />It is a powder that you mix with water and each dose contains:<br />Magnesium amino acid chelate 1.6g<br />Calcium amino acid chelate 220 mg<br />Potassium phosphate 417.5 mg<br />Sodium chloride 157.5 mg<br />375 kj (90 Cal) of energy<br /><br />www.endura.com.au<br /><br /><br />Rockin Roland <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The 90 Cal. of Energy are sugar I'll bet!!

[old] Roland Baltutis

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » January 26th, 2006, 5:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-BobD+Jan 26 2006, 02:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(BobD @ Jan 26 2006, 02:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The problem with the common readily available Electrolyte fluid replacement products, such as Gatorade, is that they don't contain Magnesium.<br /><br />You need to find a product with magnesium, which is so important in preventing muscular cramps and spasms, as well as relieving muscular aches.<br /><br />I use <b>Endura</b> magnesium rehydration formula.<br />It is a powder that you mix with water and each dose contains:<br />Magnesium amino acid chelate 1.6g<br />Calcium amino acid chelate 220 mg<br />Potassium phosphate 417.5 mg<br />Sodium chloride 157.5 mg<br />375 kj (90 Cal) of energy<br /><br />www.endura.com.au<br /><br /><br />Rockin Roland <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The 90 Cal. of Energy are sugar I'll bet!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The 90 Cal. of energy is sourced from mainly Fructose.

[old] BobD

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] BobD » January 26th, 2006, 10:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Jan 26 2006, 04:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Jan 26 2006, 04:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-BobD+Jan 26 2006, 02:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(BobD @ Jan 26 2006, 02:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Jan 25 2006, 09:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The problem with the common readily available Electrolyte fluid replacement products, such as Gatorade, is that they don't contain Magnesium.<br /><br />You need to find a product with magnesium, which is so important in preventing muscular cramps and spasms, as well as relieving muscular aches.<br /><br />I use <b>Endura</b> magnesium rehydration formula.<br />It is a powder that you mix with water and each dose contains:<br />Magnesium amino acid chelate 1.6g<br />Calcium amino acid chelate 220 mg<br />Potassium phosphate 417.5 mg<br />Sodium chloride 157.5 mg<br />375 kj (90 Cal) of energy<br /><br />www.endura.com.au<br /><br /><br />Rockin Roland <br /> </td></tr></table><br />The 90 Cal. of Energy are sugar I'll bet!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The 90 Cal. of energy is sourced from mainly Fructose. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Anything with -ose on the end is sugar!! May have come from fruit, but sugar is sugar. <br /><br />

[old] twija681

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] twija681 » January 26th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Whats the big fuss about sugar? Who says its a bad thing. Energy is energy, even if it is hi G-I.<br /><br />Too many people get stuck up on avoiding sugar and fats, moderation is the key. When your training a shiteload you need those foods 'diets' avoid. Fat especially! Gotta love the fact that rowing keeps of the kgs!

[old] Xeno

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Xeno » January 26th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Here in the US we can buy a product called Emergen-C. The electrolytes come in different baggies and flavors. They are not too expensive either.

[old] Steelhead

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Steelhead » January 27th, 2006, 12:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jan 26 2006, 12:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jan 26 2006, 12:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here in the US we can buy a product called Emergen-C.  The electrolytes come in different baggies and flavors.  They are not too expensive either. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Also, check out ElectroMix <a href='http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch. ... ntitle.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch. ... tle.htm</a>

[old] Ducatista

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ducatista » January 27th, 2006, 11:28 am

Clif Shot Bloks are tasty little electrolyte jelly cubes.

[old] michael

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] michael » January 27th, 2006, 12:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anything with -ose on the end is sugar!! May have come from fruit, but sugar is sugar. </td></tr></table> <br /><br /><br />One day a sports drink maker will get it right and cease and desist with adding "-ose" based products for sweetening--but it will be a while yet:<br /><br /><br /><a href='http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/southfacts_stevia.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/southfa ... htm</a><br /><br /><a href='http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xylitol.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/xylitol.htm</a>