LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Sad News

Post by bg » March 6th, 2014, 11:22 pm

BAZzy wrote:
Kona2 wrote:The Overcoming Disabilities flags and the Lunie flags are all at half mast today as we rally around our teammates to provide support...because that is what we do. We are virtual friends here, and we've often said that a virtual friendship is no less deep than many of our real time friendships. Indeed, in this digital age, sometimes we connect more with people even in our own cities through online conversations than we do face to face. Our teammate Zander Fraser, a friend of Ronnie's for greater than 20 years and a former member of the Jamaican Paralympic team passed away recently. This is a big loss for Ronnie, for Overcoming Disabilities, and for the Lunies. Zander had a staph infection that would not be controlled, and it claimed him.

We have lost teammates to accidents, adversity and to illness several times in our tenure as a team, and each time it is hard to accept that this is an outcome that the universe needed to have. I like to think that the opposite side of this equation in life is that we have helped each other survive and thrive. In each instance of loss, we have asked our team to do a memorial row or ski-erg session, of whatever length you wish ... and to include 888 in the final accumulation of meters. It's our signal that we are celebrating someone's memory.

And so I send out an ask to our team universe to put in some special meters if you wish - to honor a teammate who was with us in our Challenges, and in our zany fun.
My thoughts go out to all, to Ronnie. Perhaps the brilliant glow in the sun as it was rising over the Harbour this morning was Zander and the start of a new journey. ...Baz
also sending comforting thoughts to ronnie and all of zander's family and friends....tomorrow's row and saturday's run will be in his honor...{{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Edscapade
2k Poster

Post by Edscapade » March 7th, 2014, 12:43 am

bg wrote:
BAZzy wrote:
Kona2 wrote:The Overcoming Disabilities flags and the Lunie flags are all at half mast today as we rally around our teammates to provide support...because that is what we do. We are virtual friends here, and we've often said that a virtual friendship is no less deep than many of our real time friendships. Indeed, in this digital age, sometimes we connect more with people even in our own cities through online conversations than we do face to face. Our teammate Zander Fraser, a friend of Ronnie's for greater than 20 years and a former member of the Jamaican Paralympic team passed away recently. This is a big loss for Ronnie, for Overcoming Disabilities, and for the Lunies. Zander had a staph infection that would not be controlled, and it claimed him.

We have lost teammates to accidents, adversity and to illness several times in our tenure as a team, and each time it is hard to accept that this is an outcome that the universe needed to have. I like to think that the opposite side of this equation in life is that we have helped each other survive and thrive. In each instance of loss, we have asked our team to do a memorial row or ski-erg session, of whatever length you wish ... and to include 888 in the final accumulation of meters. It's our signal that we are celebrating someone's memory.

And so I send out an ask to our team universe to put in some special meters if you wish - to honor a teammate who was with us in our Challenges, and in our zany fun.
My thoughts go out to all, to Ronnie. Perhaps the brilliant glow in the sun as it was rising over the Harbour this morning was Zander and the start of a new journey. ...Baz
also sending comforting thoughts to ronnie and all of zander's family and friends....tomorrow's row and saturday's run will be in his honor...{{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Sorry for the loss! It is never easy losing a loved one or friend... My heart goes out to all who knew Zander! I will row in his honor this weekend and get the 888 in there. We are a great team here and a virtual family that I don't take lightly. God bless - Ed

Edscapade
2k Poster

Post by Edscapade » March 7th, 2014, 12:54 pm

macbruce1 wrote:

We will miss you Zander. An amazing man and a wonderful team mate. I have always had great admiration for our brave and inspiring OD members. I will row 8s in your honor today. If there is a memorial fund or a special charity to honor Zander, I would like to contribute.
My heart goes out to Ronnie for losing her special friend.

Sincerely,
Da Do Ron Ron
I have Fridays off here in Qatar. I made a goal to add the 888 to end of my row today. I started watching movies and listening to ALOT of music - it was a great day and thought about Zander and Ron and decided to row two sessions today. I rowed 44,444 twice, so I got 88,888 in today. Even though the body is asking what the heck are you doing to me... It feels good to honor a friend of our family! Have a great weekend and may God Bless our close knit team! Ed

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » March 7th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Edscapade wrote:
macbruce1 wrote:

We will miss you Zander. An amazing man and a wonderful team mate. I have always had great admiration for our brave and inspiring OD members. I will row 8s in your honor today. If there is a memorial fund or a special charity to honor Zander, I would like to contribute.
My heart goes out to Ronnie for losing her special friend.

Sincerely,
Da Do Ron Ron
I have Fridays off here in Qatar. I made a goal to add the 888 to end of my row today. I started watching movies and listening to ALOT of music - it was a great day and thought about Zander and Ron and decided to row two sessions today. I rowed 44,444 twice, so I got 88,888 in today. Even though the body is asking what the heck are you doing to me... It feels good to honor a friend of our family! Have a great weekend and may God Bless our close knit team! Ed
What a great tribute Ed, but I can understand your body asking what the "heck"...

Cheers Baz
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.6.14

Post by Kona2 » March 7th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Image Day 7 of the Mudness Madness......

ImageImage Lunies in the hunt for shamrocks and pots-o-gold.....it is SO COOL to see multiple pages of Lunies on the Challenge Honor Board! Awesome, inspiring, motivating, too !

A few years ago (maybe when I had more time!), created a several graph that I find a still very relevant when it comes to what happens with the March Madness/Mudness Challenge: on the 7th or 8th day of the Challenge, we reach the highest number of enrolled people...today was something like 5590 when I looked. By the end of the Challenge (not shown here), the numbers are usually less than 1000 for the basic challenge, and about 200 for the advanced challenge....and the Lunies do hang in there well (no surprise there). Just in case you're interested in the geeky data ... I can't help it! Hahahaha.

Season meters as of 311/365 = 152,041,088 m

Total meters on the day = 858,364 m

Oars in space (participation) = 38 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

6.8 MM Ron
6.35 MM Ed
5.75 MM Richard T
3.25 MM Jim
2.75 MM Michelle
2.35 MM Marie
2.3 MM Jerry
2.25 MM Minnie
1.65 MM Jodie
1.55 MM Katerina
1.2 MM David W (GBR)
800 K Bernie
650 K Adam M
650 K Steve G
400 K Kevin
400 K Gene
350 K James G
300 K Barry S
150 K Debbie R
100 K Kiba - she will be able to tell us what any moon rocks we pick up are made of...

Image Thanks, everyone, for rowing and ski-erging with us!

Corey 245 m
Sam ImageImageImage m
Elton Image ImageImageImage m
Image Gene 3,000 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m
Image Debbie R 5,000 m
Image Melissa 5,000 m
Image Sorin 5,000 m
ImageTristan B 5,000 m
Image Karyn ImageImageImageImage m
Image Cathie ImageImageImageImage m ... a double double...
Image Ross 5,669 m
Image Andrea 5,830 m
Image Bobbie ImageImageImageImage m
Image Jodie ImageImageImageImage m
Image Katerina ImageImageImageImage m
Image K2 ImageImageImageImage m
Image Tristan W 6,000 m
Image Lily ImageImageImageImage m
Image David W (GBR) 7,036 m
Image Robyn ImageImageImageImage m
Image Bernie 8,032 m
Image Barry S 8,775 m
Image Anita ImageImageImageImage m
ImageHarold ImageImageImageImage m
Image Marie ImageImageImageImage m
ImageMarty ImageImageImageImage m
Image Rivka ImageImageImageImage m
Image Scott ImageImageImageImage m
ImageRosi ImageImageImageImage m
Image Collin 10,000 m
Image Danno 10,000 m
Image Mikkel 10,000 m
Image Rebecca 10,000 m
Image Steve G 10,000 m
Image Tom M 10,000 m
Image Guinan Jane 10,004 m ... somewhat close to Ten-Forward....hmmmm...
Image James G 10,104 m
Image Howard 10,126 m
Image Jon C 10,720 m
Image Bruce 10,828 m
Image Baz ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Dan W ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Minnie ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Sarah H ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Stuart 10,939 m
Image Christa ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image David T 12,000 m
Image Jerry 12,000 m
Image Norton 12,500 m
Image Greg C 12,643 m
Image Jim ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image David A 14,303 m
Image Jeff D 15,062 m
Image Dominic 15,314 m
Image Michelle ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Jay ImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageRoger ImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageWalter ImageImageImageImageImage m
Imagebg 25,441 m
ImageRon 27,597 m
Image Kevin 30,000 m
Image Image Adam 45,000 m
Image Image Ed 50,000 m
Image Image Richard T ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Image Kiba 85,000 m

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.6.14

Post by kgallagher » March 7th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Image Karyn ImageImageImageImage

My 5555 is from yesterday. I didn't enter it until late in the day yesterday. I did my 5888 for Zander this morning, but only just entered it into my logbook now. Instead of power tens, I did power Zanders during my row. (Instead of counting out tens, I spelled out Zander.)

Karyn

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Drivetofast » March 8th, 2014, 10:36 am

Ed at your Pace it won't take long to dethrone Ron

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.7.14

Post by Kona2 » March 8th, 2014, 11:31 am

Image Day 8 of the Mudness Madness !!

ImageImage Lunies in pursuit of shamrocks and pots-of-gold !! One of us could be the next winner of a Concept2 prize....

Image Another episode of as the shamrocks spin...

Season meters as of 312/365 = 153,772,938 m

Total meters on the day = 1,731,850 m

Oars in space (participation) = 27 percent

6.45 MM Ed - with a double marathon plus some "change"
5.8 MM Richard T
5.75 MM bg
3.5 MM David A
3.05 MM Cathie
2.95 MM Walter with a full marathon plus some "change"
2.15 MM Rivka
1.45 MM Scott
1.45 MM Sarah H
1.35 MM Ken G
1.3 MM Jon C
800 K Baz
600 K Tony
300 K Bruce
50 K Bill L

Tom P 2,300 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m
Image Gene ImageImageImageImage m
Image Paul B 5,000 m
Image Sorin 5,000 m
Image K2 5,029 m
Image Tristan B ImageImageImageImage m
Image Bill L 5,215 m
Image Tristan W ImageImageImageImage m ... a double double !
Image Karyn ImageImageImageImage m
Image Andrea 6,219 m
Image Barry 6,869 m
Image Stephen 7,687 m
Image AJ ImageImageImageImage m
Image Anita ImageImageImageImage m
Image Cathie ImageImageImageImage m
Image Rivka ImageImageImageImage m
Image Scott ImageImageImageImage m
Image Collin 10,000 m
Image Mikkel 10,000 m
Image Steve G 10,000 m
Image Greg H 10,004 m
Image Baz 10,104 m
Image Bruce 10,827 m
Image Howard ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Katerina ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image David A 11,010 m
Image Christa ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Marie ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Minnie ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Sarah H ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image David W (GBR) 12,000 m
Image Dominic 12,000 m
Image Guinan Jane ImageImageImage ImageImage m
Image Jerry ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Norton 14,000 m
Image Reba 18,521 m
Image Adam 20,000 m
Image Ken G 20,000 m
ImageJim ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Rosi ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image bg 22,260 m
Image Jon C ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Ron ImageImageImageImageImage m
Image Richard T 32,981 m
ImageImage Walter ImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageImageImage Ed ImageImageImageImageImage m
Kristine 1,077,576 m .. back from the Air Force...

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » March 8th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Ooops - Kristine visited the Air Force but rowed for the Army....she is baaaack, though.

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » March 8th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Kona2 wrote:Ooops - Kristine visited the Air Force but rowed for the Army....she is baaaack, though.
... I was wondering about our soldier sergeant joining the air men ... :)

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » March 8th, 2014, 6:14 pm

macbruce1 wrote:Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi :lol:
Drivetofast wrote:Ed at your Pace it won't take long to dethrone Ron
I hope Ed is gentler than Madame DuFarge :!:
Da Do Ron Ron
isn't she a knitter????never read the book, but folks have referenced her when they see me knitting....

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » March 8th, 2014, 6:40 pm

bg wrote:
macbruce1 wrote:Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi :lol:
Drivetofast wrote:Ed at your Pace it won't take long to dethrone Ron
I hope Ed is gentler than Madame DuFarge :!:
Da Do Ron Ron
isn't she a knitter????never read the book, but folks have referenced her when they see me knitting....

Madame Thérèse Defarge is a fictional character in the book A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. She is a tricoteuse, a tireless worker for the French Revolution, and the wife of Ernest Defarge.
She is arguably the main villain of the novel, obsessed with revenge against the Evrémondes. She ruthlessly seeks revenge against the Evrémondes, including Charles Darnay, his wife Lucie Manette and their child, for crimes a prior generation of the Evrémonde family had committed. These crimes include the deaths of her sister, brother, and father. She refuses to accept the reality that Charles Darnay's father changed his ways by intending to renounce his title to the lands to give them to the peasants who worked on them, and his son Charles renounces his title to the lands, however Charles' arrogant and snobbish uncle becomes the Marquis St. Evrémonde, and his arrogance and cause of the death of an innocent child makes him hated, and helps legitimize Defarge's rage.
Defarge symbolizes several themes. She represents one aspect of the Fates. The Moirai (the Fates as represented in Greek mythology) used yarn to measure out the life of a man, and cut it to end it; Defarge knits, and her knitting secretly encodes the names of people to be killed. Defarge also symbolizes the nature of the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution in which radical Jacobins engaged in mass political persecution of all real or supposed enemies of the Revolution who were executed on grounds of sedition to the new republic through the guillotine, particularly targeting people with aristocratic heritage.

Edscapade
2k Poster

Post by Edscapade » March 9th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Hi Team,

While updating my meters tonight I surpassed the 11 million life time meter mark. Always fun to see!

Hope everyone is doing well and daylight savings doesn't effect everyone. First time I have not had to deal with it. We have hit the high 80's here - not looking forward to the summer months to say the least! But I have AC in my gym in our compound gym so will be fine.

Have a great week and happy rowing for the challenge!!

Best,
Ed

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.8.14

Post by Kona2 » March 9th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Image Another episode...or...to spin a yarn....
Toothdoc wrote: Madame Thérèse Defarge is a fictional character in the book A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. She is a TRICOTEUSE, a tireless worker for the French Revolution....
Well. You all sure sent me down the bunny trail today - you had me at tricoteuse...or French knitting woman. Defarge's coded knitting reminded me that there was a code knitted into a scarf in a book or movie that I have read or seen recently...the concept stuck with me, but not the particulars. When searching for that reference, I happened instead on something that seemed more along the lines that I would naturally (naturally!) go to as a numbers gal....it is something called the Fibonacci sequence scarf. I kid you not. This is something bg could try!

Cast on 400 stitches in your lighter color. The pattern for the fibonacci sequence goes like this:

purl 1 row light
purl 1 row dark
purl 2 rows light
purl 3 rows dark
purl 5 rows light
purl 8 rows dark
purl 13 rows light
bind off

And at the end of it all, you produce the Fibonacci sequence scarf...which looks like:

Image Day 9 of 31 days of Mudness Madness....

Hooboy! The numbers have come tumbling down in the total number of Challengers still in the hunt....dropping from yesterday's high of 5772 to today's 4282....

ImageImage Lunies still in the hunt for shamrocks and pots-of-gold !! So the Lunies had an 8 percent drop in Challengers as compared to a 26 percent drop in total Challengers....I like to think that this shows that belonging to a team increases your likelihood of Challenge success (but I am sure there might be other interpretations...)...

Season meters as of 313/365 = 154,572,219 m

Total meters on the day = 799,281 m

Oars in space (participation) = 33 percent

6.85 MM Ron
5.85 MM Richard T
4.15 MM Jay
2.95 MM Rosi
2.65 MM Stephen
1.9 MM Reba
1.85 MM Dan W
1.8 MM Harold
1.75 MM Roger
1.6 MM Robyn
1.3 MM Peter G
1.25 MM Marty
700 K Adam

Sam ImageImageImage m
Elton 1,0ImageImage
Darren 2,000 m
G-l-o-r-i-a ImageImageImageImage m
Image Paul B 5,000 m
Image Peter G 5,000 m
Image Katerina 5,000 m
Image Sorin 5,000 m
Image Tristan B 5,000 m
Image Tristan W 5,000 m
Image Walter 5,000 m
Image David A 5,012 m
Image K2 5,021 m
Image Reba 5,097 m
Image Rivka 5,ImageImageImage m
Image Robyn 5,ImageImageImage m
ImageScott 5,ImageImageImage m
ImageAndrea 6,115 m
Image Rick 6,264 m
Image Greg C 6,342 m
Image Barry S 6,850 m
Image Karyn 6,ImageImageImage m
Image David T 7,000 m
Image AJ 7,045 m
Image Marie ImageImageImageImage m ... a double double
Image Dominic 10,000 m
Image Greg H 10,000 m
Image Rebecca 10,000 m
Image Steve G 10,000 m
Image Bobbie 10,017 m
Image Howard 10,062 m
ImageGuinan ImageImageImageImageImage m ... a palindrome..
ImageJames G 10,214 m
ImageJodie 10,5ImageImage m
ImageAnita 10,ImageImageImage m
ImageSarah 10,ImageImageImage m
ImageJerry 11,000 m
ImageJon C 11,000 m
ImageChrista ImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageStephen ImageImageImageImageImage m ...a triple double sort of...
ImageDan W ImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage m
ImageMarty 15,3ImageImage m
ImageMichelle 15,ImageImageImage m
ImagePaul R 18,662 m
ImageKevin 20,000 m
ImageKiba 20,000 m
ImageJim 21,ImageImageImage m
Image Rosi 21,ImageImageImage m
Image Ed 25,ImageImageImage m
ImageRon 26,156 m
Image Harold 26,746 m
Image Roger 31,ImageImageImage m
Image Jay 40,896 m
Image Adam 50,000 m
Image Chuck 50,000 m
ImageRichard T 51,666 m

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » March 9th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Edscapade wrote:Hi Team,

While updating my meters tonight I surpassed the 11 million life time meter mark. Always fun to see!

Hope everyone is doing well and daylight savings doesn't effect everyone. First time I have not had to deal with it. We have hit the high 80's here - not looking forward to the summer months to say the least! But I have AC in my gym in our compound gym so will be fine.

Have a great week and happy rowing for the challenge!!

Best,
Ed

wooo hoooo and congrats :} and thanks everyone for the madame defarge info...btw k2..i've caste on over 100 stitches for a sweater before...can't imagine 400...