TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by damselfly » February 28th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Cyclingman1 wrote:
damselfly wrote:Jim G - 4,464 Here's mud in yer eye!
Now is that anyway to talk to a fellow software engineer? Actually, 'was'; now retired. Never worked as independent contractor; that would have driven me nuts. Part of the reason is the ever changing software world: new languages, paradigms, etc. I give all the credit to those developers who can navigate that world. I'm surprised that you have any time to mess with this forum business.

Speaking of this forum. I wonder how far back do current members go as far as belonging to TimbukTOO. I've tried wading through the pages, but it is too much. Plus, one cannot skip ahead but by 3 pages. I did run into a post by brightly glad young lady, nearly fushia in color, on Aug 3, 2009. Called herself some kind of fly - I think it was a damsel fly. What that has to do with rowing, I cannot guess. But there she was shining brightly. :D
Another code monkey! Excellent. Even if you are retired. :wink: I hear you on the new technologies. That's where I am now. I do web app dev and am trying to transition from .Net to Ruby on Rails and all its attendant folderol. It's an entirely different animal. But I shall remain stalwart and stout. Not that I like the stoutness.

The damselfly moniker derives from the fact that I have a pond and like the bugs that visit. I use that handle on different forums. I wanted to be "dragonfly", but that is fairly commonly used in some forums.

There are not many Tooians here now that were part of the team when I joined. Pat M of course was the founding member and is still with us, and Sheryl M as well. There may be others but I don't know.

If you want to go randomly romping around the team room and feel constrained by the paging mechanism, just use this URL:

"http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... rt=[b]XXXX[/b]"

Replace XXXX with a number between 1 and 10650 and you'll be treated to that area of the thread.
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » February 28th, 2014, 4:26 pm

damselfly wrote:If you want to go randomly romping around the team room
I did some of that. It appears that Dec, 2010 and Jan, 2011 were pivotal times for TimbukTOO. You and Izz took over leadership of the team and continue today. That is a very long time to continue to give the time to keep the team going. I hope you all feel the love. Jim G
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 78, 76", 205lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-78: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:32.7 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » February 28th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Cyclingman1 wrote:
damselfly wrote:If you want to go randomly romping around the team room
I did some of that. It appears that Dec, 2010 and Jan, 2011 were pivotal times for TimbukTOO. You and Izz took over leadership of the team and continue today. That is a very long time to continue to give the time to keep the team going. I hope you all feel the love. Jim G
Technically, Izz took over the team and I felt sorry for him, so I offered to help, and was appalled that there were no back-end reporting tools for team captains on the website. I'd always assumed that's where Pat got the stats. C'mon, C2! Get on the ball!! So I wrote our stats tracker. Now I basically have a job for life. I couldn't leave the team even if I wanted to, or Izz would put a contract out on me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
-- Lisa

glenmbaker
1k Poster

Post by glenmbaker » February 28th, 2014, 5:30 pm

damselfly wrote:I couldn't leave the team even if I wanted to, or Izz would put a contract out on me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So THAT's what a contract engineer is!

..and one of my hats makes me look like a monkey as well, so there! Fortunately I seldom have to do web stuff, but I have sufficient chops to appreciate the work that's been done by our stalwart, intrepid, fearless, dependable, tenacious vigorous redoubtable, staunch, stouthearted, undaunted, valorous, and spunky damselfly.

..gb

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » February 28th, 2014, 5:35 pm

glenmbaker wrote:
damselfly wrote:I couldn't leave the team even if I wanted to, or Izz would put a contract out on me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So THAT's what a contract engineer is!

..and one of my hats makes me look like a monkey as well, so there! Fortunately I seldom have to do web stuff, but I have sufficient chops to appreciate the work that's been done by our stalwart, intrepid, fearless, dependable, tenacious vigorous redoubtable, staunch, stouthearted, undaunted, valorous, and spunky damselfly.

..gb
Thank you, sir! Your adjective aptitude is admirable! I remain, your humble servant...
-- Lisa

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » February 28th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Well I got the SkiErg and gave it a whirl today. After rowing 5K, I did 5K on the SkiErg broken up into 1K, 1K, 2K, 1K with some rest in between, focusing mainly on proper form.

The pace is very different than with the rower. Just looking at some of the SkiErg stats that are posted as they compare to the rowing stats for similar distances, it's generally a slower pace. It definitely works different muscles, because now I am a little sore in different places than usual :wink: but it is a great workout, and complements the rowing very nicely.

I am also going to add in some weight training into my fitness regimen. With the new season coming up in two months, I should be settled into a new routine by the start of it. I will probably shoot for 2.5M meters next season.

Good success to all in the Mud Madness and forthcoming Team Challenge!

quilter35
Paddler

Post by quilter35 » February 28th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Took a bit of a break, but am ready for both March challenges!

:D

Kris C.

kc10040
Paddler

Post by kc10040 » February 28th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Lisa,
I really appreciate all your encouraging words and statistical updates! Very nice job. I'm jumping on board for the Mud Season Madness from March 1 to 31. How does this work with the World Erg Challenge from March 15 to April 15, do daily workouts get counted for both challenges from March 15 to 31? Could this be double dipping?!?! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks again, Ken C

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » March 1st, 2014, 6:45 am

Quatroux wrote:
ronmardix wrote:
Izzzmeister wrote:Ron M – 6,000 Back after his weekend break!
Not exactly. On Friday I slipped on some ice, twisted my knee and landed on my back and the back of my head. No lasting injuries, just a lot of tight sore body parts. I'm giving time to rest and recover.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly with no lasting problems. I had a similar event a few years ago and can really feel for you. Get well soon.
Thank you. Luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The knee took the most damage from what I can tell, but it's on the mend.

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » March 1st, 2014, 7:32 am

kc10040 wrote: I'm jumping on board for the Mud Season Madness from March 1 to 31. How does this work with the World Erg Challenge from March 15 to April 15, do daily workouts get counted for both challenges from March 15 to 31?
Took the question right from my mouth. I look to the redoubtable Damselfly for all the info. I'm only an hour away from slogging through 5K of mud.

PS. One hr later. In looking at the MM progress list, I believe I am the first TimbukTOOian. Course, all you CAians who are actually in the mud are still snoozing. DF send my prize via USPS. Thanks. :P
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 78, 76", 205lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-78: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:32.7 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

sbusceb
Paddler

Post by sbusceb » March 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Crewmates

I'd like to report that I'm back in the team after my brief return to the Royal Air force team for the military challenge.

February was a big month for me:

I rowed 280,000 m in the military challenge
I passed 2,000,000 m this season (am currently on 2,076,611 m before today's row)
I have shed more than 50 pounds in weight since I began my new eating/exercise regime in October 2012 (am now 174 pounds)

(I always refer to having shed weight rather than having lost it because I haven't lost it, I always know where to find it - it's in the fridge behind the cheese :D)

Now, back on the erg for an hour's row.

Chris

johnb
2k Poster

Post by johnb » March 1st, 2014, 2:18 pm

sbusceb wrote:Crewmates

I'd like to report that I'm back in the team after my brief return to the Royal Air force team for the military challenge.

February was a big month for me:

I rowed 280,000 m in the military challenge
I passed 2,000,000 m this season (am currently on 2,076,611 m before today's row)
I have shed more than 50 pounds in weight since I began my new eating/exercise regime in October 2012 (am now 174 pounds)

(I always refer to having shed weight rather than having lost it because I haven't lost it, I always know where to find it - it's in the fridge behind the cheese :D)

Now, back on the erg for an hour's row.

Chris
Awesome Job Chris! :D

JB

sbusceb
Paddler

Post by sbusceb » March 1st, 2014, 4:17 pm

John

Having read your profile I see that you have shed an awesome number of pounds. Keep up the good work.

Chris

johnb
2k Poster

Post by johnb » March 1st, 2014, 9:25 pm

sbusceb wrote:John

Having read your profile I see that you have shed an awesome number of pounds. Keep up the good work.

Chris
Thanks Chris!

There are a lot of wonderful shedding stories in this community. It's great to hear them all, very inspiring and they are self-fulfilling too!

johnb
2k Poster

Post by johnb » March 1st, 2014, 9:42 pm

Two vastly different 5k rows the last couple of days. First one was old me, feverish pace close to 40 strokes per minute and establish a new best 5K time for me of 20:43.5, I wanted to get a baseline before the month started. Today I rowed a 5K with focus on maintaining a lower stroke rate but generating more power with each stroke. Today's 5K time was 23:25.7, but I kept my stroke rate down in the mid-20's. Sometimes I went as slow as 22-23 strokes a minutes. I felt really good about this row, because I think I see the road forward.I felt the difference, but had to work at not fall into my standard row fast, go-go pace. I am going to work on this all month and see how well I can chip away at my time while maintaining a better power/stroke per minute model.