Asthma - Do I Need To Change My Training?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 4th, 2005, 8:12 pm

Porkchop,<br /><br />I would never give dangerous medical advice, and those that do should be locked up.<br /><br />Anyway if you want to be a druggie then go right ahead.

[old] bw1099

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] bw1099 » October 4th, 2005, 8:46 pm

<br />bw1099 said:<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One thing that I do that I think helps is to focus on exhaling rather than inhaling. Breathe by pushing the air out of the lungs and let them fill by themselves. It keeps me from breathing wildely out of control and triggering an asthma attack. I think it is a Pilates concept. </td></tr></table><br /><br />John Rupp said:<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had asthma from age 3 to 5, and got rid of it on my own by practicing blowing all the air out of my lungs, holding it there while still trying to breath out more, then breathing normally. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Wow! John Rupp agrees with me on this point. Maybe I should express some of my other less conventional notions...<br /><br />I take Singulair every day for the asthma. Whenever I stop taking it, I end up with what I used to think was an upper resperatory infection. Until the asthma was diagnosed, I used to get this upper respiratory thing every year. So after a couple of cycles of deciding that I didn't really need the to bother renewing the prescription, and getting the upper respiratory thing again, followed by prescriptions for various inhalers for various lengths of time, and maybe antibiotincs, until it was under control again, I take the pills.<br /><br />bw

[old] Ray79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ray79 » October 5th, 2005, 12:12 pm

Porkchop Said.<br />"In point of fact, John, you are dispensing dangerous "advice" and newcomers to this forum might actually be tempted to follow it. Stop trying to play doctor. You have no qualifications to dispense this kind of advice. There are many types of asthma."<br /><br />Yea john, catch a hold of that over active imagination of yours and stop telling people how to "get rid of" an uncurable condition. And how your parents must have been proud to have had such an enlightened child as yourself that was able to "cure" himself of this condition at age 5, by holding his breath of all things. You must have overdone this a bit as it obviously affected the oxygen supply to your brain!<br /><br />My sister suffers from chronic asthma which has threatened her life on numerous occasions, to the point where she has spent long periods in hospital with damage to her lungs caused by the severe constriction of her airways. And for you to sit there and call anyone who takes preventitive medication so as they can lead a somewhat normal life a druggie is absolutley disgusting. <br /><br />Next time you decide to impart your thoughts on something you obviously know nothing about, take 5-10 minutes and hold your breath, then try and type, never mind walk, talk or ergo, and you will know what a severe asthma attack feels like.

[old] Ray79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ray79 » October 5th, 2005, 2:08 pm

The bottom line being, DO NOT TAKE CHANCE WHERE YOUR HEALTH IS CONCERNED.<br /><br />No matter what DR John Rupp has to say.<br /><br />Next he will be telling diabetics not to take insulin.........how stupid can one man be

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Ray,<br /><br />Stop giving your dangerous medical advice and grow up.<br /><br />If you choose to be a druggie and unhealthy that's your choice of course, but it's sad that you push even your own sister into such a miserable and life threatening condition.<br /><br /><br />

[old] Ray79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ray79 » October 5th, 2005, 2:33 pm

John,<br /><br />Just one question<br /><br />What are you talking about?<br /><br />Pushing my sister to do what? Im beginning to wonder if you even read posts before you reply to them. Try engaging your brain before you reply to anything.<br /><br />And as for me apparently giving bad medical advice, I wasnt aware that I had given any medical advice, the breath holding exercise was only intended for you. The only other thing I said for anyone else was go to your doctor and discuss the situation with him. I am not a health professional and would never claim to be but I can surely say that I know slightly more about this topic than you.

[old] Rowmum

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Rowmum » October 5th, 2005, 2:39 pm

<br />Hey, gentlemen, stop the quarrel!<br />Ofcourse you can not just quit your medication and take your chances.<br />I had a lot of asthma-meds and when I started reading about all the possible side-effects, I got worried.<br />For me breath-control is the answer; I took singing lessons, started doing yoga-exercises and learned to breath right.<br />I can always feel an asthma attack coming. <br />I have learned not to panic,which is natural (because you feel like you´re breathing through a straw) but only makes it worse.<br />If you have got it, you will know what I mean!<br />When I feel it coming, I take my time and breath with my mouth closed until it goes away(usually about 10 min.).<br />I always have an inhaler with me(just in case), but never use it.<br />My biggest fear was delivery and asthma, but I had 3 kids and no asthma-delivery-problems.<br />I can easily trigger an attack, by laughing like crazy for a few minutes.<br />I can work out perfectly, but with breath-control; if I start talking, for instance, while training, or forget that I can only breath through my nose, my chest will get the pins and needles and my breath will start to go away.<br />So, breath-control is the answer for me.<br />Don´t know if it can work for you, but it doesn´t hurt to try!<br />Good luck,<br />Andrea from Germany

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 2:41 pm

Ray,<br /><br />Yeah I agree you know a lot about being sick, miserable, and giving dangerous medical advice.

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Andrea,<br /><br />Thanks much for your feedback and helpfulness.<br /><br />I am very happy it is working for you.

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 2:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rowmum+Oct 5 2005, 11:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rowmum @ Oct 5 2005, 11:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can easily trigger an attack, by laughing like crazy for a few minutes. </td></tr></table><br />Yes and I have personally seen --many-- people stimulate panic attacks by breathing too fast, over breathing of oxygen, washing out the co2 buffers etc.<br />

[old] Ray79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ray79 » October 5th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Hey Andrea, I didnt mean to get into a quarrel but some of johns comments really annoyed me, especially as he seems to know very little about the topic. <br /><br />I do know that there are advantages of breathing control etc to help with asthma attacks and some of these have managed to help my sister in recent years as she has got a little older. This coupled with a massive diet change has made her attacks less regular and on the most part less severe. But se still need to take both preventative medications and when john describes people who do this as "druggies" it annoyed me. Despite the improvements in her condition with the above described she still suffers an occasional severe attack, and she describes the sensation of breathing through a straw the same way as you did. However the onset of these attacks are often very rapid and there is very little she can do about it except try and keep breathing, which doesnt always work. <br /><br />Im not going to post anything more on this topic as I feel i have said all that i have to.<br /><br />Cheers

[old] Ray79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ray79 » October 5th, 2005, 2:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Oct 5 2005, 01:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Oct 5 2005, 01:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ray,<br /><br />Yeah I agree you know a lot about being sick, miserable, and giving dangerous medical advice. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nice to see you are keepign it all nicely above the belt John<br /><br />

[old] bmoore

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] bmoore » October 5th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Don't take the bait on stuff like this. You'll just get a headache, and prolong the pain. Breath control also helps with reacting to these posts.<br /><br />Some of his posts can be technically correct from a grammatical point of view, but when a reasonable person aggregates his thoughts on things like this the conclusion is often completely ridiculous. (Technically a person may not "need" medication, but the consequences can include severe pain or death. It's their choice, according to our little friend). The additional baiting gets personal and nasty, so I've found the easiest suggestion is to post a counter opinion (after several deep breaths and spell check), and let it go...

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » October 5th, 2005, 4:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray79+Oct 5 2005, 11:48 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Ray79 @ Oct 5 2005, 11:48 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->there is very little she can do about it except try and keep breathing, which doesnt always work. </td></tr></table><br />Demonstrating a total lack of understanding of the issue.<br /><br />"I can tell where my own shoe pinches me." -- Cervantes<br />

[old] mallard

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] mallard » October 6th, 2005, 8:21 am

Guys, Guys, Guys ......... !!!!!<br /><br />As the person who started this thread I feel qualified to but in at this point and say thank you for all of your comments. I would like to think that I am well educated, intelligent and have enough common sense to take on board comments such as John's without immediately adopting suggestions without further investigation. I have not yet had a chance to look into the breathing techniques mentioned, but by coincidence had wondered recently about the effect of holding ones breath on tight breathing. I was holding my breath to try and stop hiccups the other day, and the first breath I took after releasing was a lovely deep one and I just started to wonder why. I shall certainly be looking into this further, but not without seeking medical advice too. Chill out!