Exercise Equipment

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » July 29th, 2005, 5:15 pm

For the last couple of days I've been thinking about one piece of equipment that does everything for resistance training. Over the years I've probably tried as many or more than most people. And I can't come up with one piece that does everything. Assuming that a person has the room, I guess a basic barbell set with a adustable bench would probably be the best way to go. But then that's not one piece, is it? Maybe a Total Gym or Total Trainer? How about a Bowflex? What do you think? How about some opinions? I wonder how many different pieces we can come up with. <br /><br />Yoda (zee bionic one)

[old] RacerX

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] RacerX » July 29th, 2005, 5:35 pm

A good question. Rowing, and in particular my yoga practice, do a lot for my strength. A year ago I was spending 45 minutes 3X per week in the gym and am as strong or stronger on everything now that I am down to 20-25 minutes 2X per week. I do go hard and don't take much rest. I probably easily lift as much as a lot of the people I see spending an hour with a personal trainer, what with all the talking....<br /><br />So I keep thinking about what can be pared out of my weight workouts. My home gym/workout would be:<br /><br />Squat Rack <br />Pull-ups (varied but mostly wide-grip)<br />Dips (wide and narrow)<br /><br />I would guess that this would get you 80% of the workout you could get with a complete "gym workout". What do you think?<br /><br />I know this doesn't address one machine to do "everything", but then again - what is everything? <br /><br />Aaron

[old] Porkchop

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Porkchop » July 29th, 2005, 7:40 pm

I don't think there's just one, either, Little Green Guy. <br /><br />If I had to pare back my (so Mrs. Porkchop says) "overcrowded gym filled with junk," I'd go with your adjustable bench and barbell set, Racer's squat rack/pullup/dip station, and the C2. I could dump the Total Gym, treadmill, stepper, rack of dumbbells, E-Z curl bar, triceps bar, medicine ball collection, heavy bag, skipping rope, weight vest, Thai pads, kicking shield, ab wheel, and (gasp!) Swiss ball, but only if I really, really had to. Does that sound crowded to you? I don't think so. <br /><br />Maybe Tony Little could help you out, though -- that Gazelle thingamajig looks like it would do it all. <br /><br />PS. How's that tutu fit?

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » July 29th, 2005, 8:26 pm

Aaron,<br /><br />I think the ERG is one of the best pieces for CV that there is, but I just don't see it developing strength like some of the other pieces that have already been mentioned. How do you do dips in a Squat Rack? If the dip bars are off the side then the squat rack is going to tip over unless it's bolted to the wall, floor or ceiling. Maybe a couple of crossbars running from each side. The wide side, not the narrow side. Hummmm!<br /><br />Porkchop,<br /><br />The kilt wasn't a problem at all, but the tutu had to go in to be shortened. It won't be back from the seamtress until next week. She's going to put a little poodle on it for me. Or was that a kettlebell? Aarrgh, can't remember. <br /><br />I feel your pain with all that equipment. 11 years ago we had to move to a new home. The city of Phoenix decided they wanted to run a freeway through our living room. So, we moved. I had a 40 foot by 20 foot gym built off of the back of the house. I had so much equipment and iron that we still had to move some of it to be able to use it. When we moved I had to sell almost all of it. When I had all of that equipment I felt it was absolutely necessary. Funny, now I have just a few pieces and can set up a program that 95% of lifters wouldn't be able to complete. <br /><br />Maybe you should look into the bunroller or maybe the ab lounge. Now, you watch someone is going to suggest placing the bunroller on top of the Swiss Ball to do some exercises. Picture THAT!!!! <br /><br />I hope some others join in here. It would be interesting to see their opinions.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] kwadams

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] kwadams » July 29th, 2005, 9:12 pm

Yoda and others--<br /><br />I know I've seen pull-up bars you can mount to the ceiling, but does anyone know of "portable" dip bars? I don't have room for one of those big dip stations, but would still like to have something. Of course, I could put two chairs back-to-back like I did as a teenager and do dips, but I'm afraid of doing a face plant these days.<br /><br />BTW, how are you doing with standing on the ball? I've got where I can kneel on it with no hands now, but I haven't attempted to stand. Do you just jump on or do you work your way up from a kneeling position?<br /><br />And my one piece of resistence equipment these days is a Vectra gym, but I am thinking about getting a total trainer.<br /><br />Kevin

[old] akit110

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] akit110 » July 29th, 2005, 11:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-kwadams+Jul 29 2005, 09:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(kwadams @ Jul 29 2005, 09:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yoda and others--<br /><br />I know I've seen pull-up bars you can mount to the ceiling, but does anyone know of "portable" dip bars?  I don't have room for one of those big dip stations, but would still like to have something.  Of course, I could put two chairs back-to-back like I did as a teenager and do dips, but I'm afraid of doing a face plant these days.<br /><br />BTW, how are you doing with standing on the ball?  I've got where I can kneel on it with no hands now, but I haven't attempted to stand.  Do you just jump on or do you work your way up from a kneeling position?<br /><br />And my one piece of resistence equipment these days is a Vectra gym, but I am thinking about getting a total trainer.<br /><br />Kevin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Kevin,<br />For portable dip bars, see: <a href='http://www.motiv8inc.com/therack/' target='_blank'>http://www.motiv8inc.com/therack/</a><br />For portable chin-up bars that are EZ on and off plus secure: Google "door gym"<br />I bought both a few years back at a Sports Authority here in the US.<br />Hope that helps!<br />Ashwin<br />

[old] akit110

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] akit110 » July 29th, 2005, 11:20 pm

I have seen some convincing arguments that a good quality barbell is the perfect piece of equipment <i>without </i>the bench. A lot of weightlifting advocates say that some of the best results come from just finding all the compound exercises that involve lifting the barbell off the floor from a standing position (e.g. overhead squat, clean and press, etc).

[old] Porkchop

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Porkchop » July 30th, 2005, 8:38 am

<!--QuoteBegin-akit110+Jul 29 2005, 10:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(akit110 @ Jul 29 2005, 10:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have seen some convincing arguments that a good quality barbell is the perfect piece of equipment <i>without </i>the bench.  A lot of weightlifting advocates say that some of the best results come from just finding all the compound exercises that involve lifting the barbell off the floor from a standing position (e.g. overhead squat, clean and press, etc). <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I would agree that, if we take Yoda's initial question literally, then, the <b>one</b> piece of equipment ought to be the adjustable barbell. It's not "perfect," but it is the best single piece of equipment. The bench and squat rack give additional options, but I wouldn't call them strictly necessary. As I noted in another thread (let's not start arguing squats here), when I started lifting as a teenager, all I had was a basic 110-pound mail-order weight set, and a plain bench with no rack. My squat and bench press were limited by the amount of weight that I could press over my head or sort of roll up my trunk as I lay back on the bench. There is a sort of built-in safety factor there, I suppose. There are those who argue that the best overall training effect from weightlifting comes from practicing the Olympic lifts, neither of which (or none of which for those with long memories) require a bench (although they do require, at least as one becomes more proficient and stronger, bumper plates and a platform. There are also those who argue that the bench press is the single most over-emphasized, poorly-performed, injury-inducing, and abused resistance exercise ever. That might be another reason to forego the bench. There are always floor presses for those who simply must "bench."<br /><br />Another position I have seen is that the pullup bar is the single best piece of equipment. The argument is that you can do equipmentless bodyweight conditioning exercises for virtually every pushing movement, but that you need something to grab onto for pulling exercises. I have gone through periods where I have done bodyweight programs that consisted of nothing but pushups, pullups, dips, and situps plus running and swimming. When I would travel, I would put a pullup bar in my bag, and use the chairs in my hotel room for dips. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but depending on one's goals and one's resources, those kinds of programs can be very productive. I, for one, plan on putting that pullup bar in the doorway of my room at the nursing home one of these days -- hopefully in the very distant future. <br /><br />What it boils down to, I think, is that deciding what piece of equipment "does it all" depends on what the meaning of "all" is. (There is a Bill Clinton joke in there somewhere, I'm sure, but I'm not diving for it.)<br /><br />Yoda, can you give us a description of your experience with the bunroller? I wouldn't want to invest in more equipment until I find out how it has worked out for you. Mrs. Porkchop says I am still too flat back there. Did it plump you up buttockally? Do you have before and after pictures? Will you share? If it does help the gluteally impaired, then maybe I really should get one. That "Buns of Steel" video didn't help me much, though. You'd think with a name like Porchop, I wouldn't have these kinds of problems. <br /><br />Now, the ab lounge looks pretty good. I'm always on the lookout for ways to exercise without actually having to do any work. What is their spiel? Exercise your abs without straining your back? Maybe they ought to think about exercising their backs instead. Too obvious, I guess.

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » July 30th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Kevin,<br /><br />I have been able to kneel on the Swiss Ball. And I try to stand from that position. Needless to say, I've not been real sucessful. I have to make sure that everything is cleared away before I try this. Faceplant is one thing, but to find yourself upsidedown with your leg stuck through the spokes of your bike is another. The Total Trainer with pilates is a good piece of equipment unless you are trying to load additional poundage on it. That's why I built the one I've got. I'd suggest trying one before you purchase. Some people has some difficulty working out on it because it's a wee bit different feel that lifting with iron. I like it a lot because of using SS as much as I do.<br /><br />Porkchop,<br /><br />Since I'm blessed in the tushie area I haven't the need to work on the BunRoller. Some of us have it and some don't. But then I'm not built like a hardboiled egg on stillts either. <br /><br />My first weight set was a piece of pipe with 2 concrete blocks on the ends. 2x4 was pounded into the middle opening of each block and drilled for the pipe. 4 hose clamps held the blocks in position. It weighed about 90 pounds. I was 13 years old and weighed about 65 pounds. I killed myself just trying to clean it. And when I did, it was so out of balance, it would knock me over. I will never forget the first time I got it all the way overhead. I remained standing for maybe 5 seconds and then fell over a small hill in the back yard. Wasn't allowed to use it indoors. <br /><br />More than likely the best single piece in my mind is the barbell. But if it were a machine, or one considered a machine, I would have to go with a piece similiar to the Total Trainer. With a heavier duty unit I can think of few exercises a person can't perform on it. Unless you consider the mighty "Barrel Squat". Which most of you guys are chicken to try. <br /><br />Here's a good one for the faint of heart. The Body by Jake "Cardio Crusier". It's the next best piece to the Ab Lounger. Only Jake could come up with a piece that allows a person to watch TV, sip from their waterbottle, take a short nap, all while exercising.<br /><br />Tony Little's Gazelle is ideal for those with tight hips. But when using the unit don't forget to yell and wear a baseball cap. Otherwise you'll gain nothing from using it. <br /><br />Gotta go<br />Yoda

[old] Merganser

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Merganser » July 30th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I doubt you can limit yourself to just one piece of equipment; however, you can do an awful lot with a stability ball and some tubing for resistance. When I worked with a trainer, some of the toughest workouts involved the stability ball. Sissel has a website with a huge list of exercises. They look easy, but just try some of them! Otherwise, I would buy a Smith machine/squat rack combo, many of which come with a bench and weights ... but I supposed that isn't 'one piece'. <br /><br />gr

[old] Byron Drachman

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » July 30th, 2005, 6:14 pm

Hi Bill AKA Yoda,<br /><br />First of all, how are your shoulders these days? Are you ready to erg on a regular schedule yet?<br /><br />How about the C2 as a single piece of equipment? <br /><br />Have you tried Xeno Muller's DVD #2, the upper body workout? It works on core strength and flexibility. I think it is a fabulous workout. Well, all four of the DVD's are great, but the upper body workout strikes me as one that would especially appeal to people who like to work with weights.<br /><br />Byron<br />

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » July 30th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Byron,<br /><br />Shoulders are doing pretty good. Still can't get a good hard full pull. But it's coming okay. Endurance seems to be more of a problem though. I've been doing at least 2K daily. Sometimes I can make it to 5K, but the muscles are wiped out after that. I'll continue to build slowly mixing in the longer rows hoping that I get back to normal, whatever that is, sooner rather than later. Thanks for asking.<br /><br />I haven't seen Xeno's DVD's. But I do agree that the C2 is a great piece of equipment. Because of the reps involved in rowing I kind doubt that it would build the kind of strength that most people look for out of resistance training. For old guys like us, it's a godsend. The C2 is probably the best mix of basic strength and CV training there is. I know that, although I'm not up to pulling my best the C2 has certainly helped with my riding. Hey, I just bought a Tour Easy. Going on my second ride tomorrow. It's "Seek and Destroy" Day.<br /><br />Take care,<br />Yoda

[old] akit110

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] akit110 » July 31st, 2005, 8:33 am

One piece of pretty versatile equipment I have found is something called the "Lifeline Powerwheel" (you can just google the name to get an image, many places sell it). I have had it for a few years - it's basically like a big, heavy-duty abdominal wheel except you can strap it on your feet allowing you to become a sort of human wheelbarrow. The result is you can walk on your hands and do a lot of other exercises for the upper body, core and hamstrings. It's a neat thing for 40 bucks.

[old] Porkchop

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Porkchop » July 31st, 2005, 11:44 am

Yoda,<br /><br />In your initial post. you mentioned the Bowflex. I've never used one, but I do remember that the manufacturer had to recall a very large number of them in the last year or so because the "tower" part was falling off onto users. Not a great recommendation from my perspective.<br /><br />I think they are very overpriced, as well.

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » July 31st, 2005, 1:08 pm

Porkchop,<br /><br />I have worked out on the bowflex. There are several problems with it in my mind. Short range of motion, especially for taller folks. Temperature affects the bows. You think you have 50 pounds of resistance at 70 degrees and then move the unit to an area at 90 degrees the same poundage become much easier. I don't know anything about them falling apart, but the concept is a pretty good idea. The feel is completely different than using iron. And you're right, the damn things are expensive for what they are. <br /><br />So, in order for a bowflex to work right for a person they would need to be short, keep it in a constant temperature enviroment, and have a repair kit. Other than that, it would work for the average couch potatoe. <br /><br />Yoda