LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Edscapade
2k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Edscapade » December 22nd, 2013, 8:48 am

Hi Team,

I hope everyone is ready for Christmas and will get time with your families. I should have my family here by next weekend. I can't wait!! Although I am very thankful for today's technology - Skype... It still not the same.

I have been putting in two sessions a day while I have some time off. Never complain about having time off, but it is crazy the amount we get off. It works out for every 2.5 days of work we earn 1 day off.

Not that it is easy but will try to keep the two a days until family makes it here. I have to find a better cushion for the hind in... It talks back to me ALOT. Haha

Merry Christmas to all and as always Happy Rowing!

Here is too a great 2014,

Ed

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » December 22nd, 2013, 10:02 am

Congrats Kerry and best wishes for you and baby. Ed, so happy your family will be visiting,truly the best gift.
Tris' team was mercy ruled in the championship game last night 42-19.Twas 42-0 after the half. Disappointed by poor sportsmanship on our team, 2 players ejected including coaches son for shoving a ref. Its only a game and theres always next year. (Cubs fan creed) Merry Christmas teammates.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 10:57 am

I keep adding on commentary to this basic document that we've used for several years now. Since we are just beginning to hit the stride of the rowing season, and MANY more rowing sessions are yet to come, here's a look at what we've compiled over the years. AND....if any teammate has a photo s/he can share of an upholstery foam seat, I would be delighted to incorporate it into the archives!

The Seat Rules….

A couple of months ago, we revisited discussions about seat pads for the Concept2 erg. Gina first brought these to our attention (I think) when she went to a regatta in Long Beach. JL Racing, a company that Concept2 partners with, was the supplier for sorbothane seat pads and gel seat pads. From the JL Racing site:

Gel-filled Seat Pad

We developed this Gel-filled beauty, just for your butt! And the great news is, IT FLOATS!!!

* Rugged polyproplene laminated to neoprene seating surface.
* Non-skid backing on bottom, stays put on your seat
* Gel-filled inner core with permanent memory
* 11 3/4" at widest part
* fits on both sculling and sweep seats
* It floats!
* Tag with space for your name.
* Webbing loop so you can tie it to your axle for extra security.
* 11 3/4" at widest part

More good stuff

* Reduced pressure points on sit bones.
* Gel-filling distributes pressure evenly.
* Added comfort improves rowing experience and increases endurance.

Now bicycling has certainly had its moments to teach about gel seat covers, and gender specific seats (I won’t go there). As such, I was particularly interested in the JeL seatpad offered by JL racing. Barbara wanted to know if it was something that permanently adhered to the rowing machine seat – because, if so, she was out of luck since she uses a rower at a gym.

The Jelpad floats. Unless we have a flood in the basement, I’m probably safe in not needing that feature, but these are designed to be used by people like Karyn who get out on the water. And Chris, if AJ loses the gel seat over the side of the kayak, well it will be easier to find as it floats on by. I wanted to have options of using this in outdoor rowing.

The flip side of the gel pad shows that it has a grippy kind of material (and a name tag so that when you leave it on the seat of the rower at they gym, someone will return it to you!). It doesn’t permanently adhere to the seat, but it doesn’t slip around either.

Sorbothane or Sore-No-More:

The Sore-No-More Advantages: Sorbothane Seat Pad review by Tom Image
-------

1. Durability. The half life on this substance must be over 10,000 years. Made out of a rubber-like substance, you can roll, bend, fold, and crunch these pads without tearing them. At the end of the day, it folds back out to its original shape.

2. Thin yet comfortable. Everyone's seen those seat pads that raise you up about 2 inches on your seat. Good luck clearing your hands and balancing the boat that way! The sore-no-more is amazingly thin -- less then 1/4 of an inch -- and yet it is softer than any foam pad I've ever used. Plus it won't grow compressed and hard on the pressure points like foam pads.

3. Sticky. The sore-no-more manages to stick to every seat I've ever placed it on -- no need for tape to keep this guy attached.

So don't be fooled by a sense of false economy -- the sore-no-more is ten times as expensive as the foam pads, but I promise you that the $38 is money well spent.

The Combo Mode: Chris reported out that she uses both the gel and sorbothane for double cushioning effect. She tried both separately, and I believe now uses them both.

The Upholstery Foam: Cut Two Inches Wider than Rowing Machine Seat

Many of our ultradistance rowers swear by getting some upholstery foam, and cutting it about two inches wider than the rowing machine seat. Some use covers that they insert the foam into so that it lasts longer. Jim told us that the cushion that fits a wheelchair was about the best that he had found for rowing seat comfort.

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » December 22nd, 2013, 11:08 am

Is this the whimper and whine Team? Or is it the Lunatics. Try doing some Squats ,Lunges ,Kettlebell swings Box Jumps Firm up that Butt

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » December 22nd, 2013, 11:11 am

Or get Kim Kardashian Inserts :lol: :lol: :lol:

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » December 22nd, 2013, 11:39 am

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » December 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Whimper and whine? Those sound like excellent reindeer names, not to mention the follow-on...
In with a whimper, out with a...

Speaking of which, I think it's time to bang out another.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

A reindeer earned...and not named!

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:02 pm

You know when something's missing, and you're sure that it WAS there, and you look and you look some more, and it's still not there...and you have to accept that it was either NEVER there or you've LOST it or it was STOLEN?

As I was going through today's data, getting ready to put some woohoos out there for the antler glow-ees, I found that I have not named Norton's reindeer...and here he is ready for antler lights. I believe he reached reindeer-hood at the time of his two million meter milestone.

The Norton Commando is a British Norton-Villiers motorcycle that was produced between 1967-1977, and popular all over the world. There are many different Commando models: Fastback, Scrambler, Roadster, Yellow Peril, Street Scrambler, Hi Rider, Fastback Long Range, Combat and Interstate are names of most of them. There is much interest in re-manufacuring these machines, and in refurbishing them. Of course, going Commando in this instance is a bit different than what that phrase can mean. There is also the Go Commando Adventure Race that takes place in mid-July in the Twin Cities area of the US, too.

Congratulations, Norton, on reaching 200,000 m during the Holiday Challenge, earning the Concept2 donation, and the Holiday Challenge pin! And, thanks for having great patience while waiting for your reindeer to be named.

Norton (VILLIERS)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Antler Glow !

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:10 pm

More antler glow....folks will think it is the Aurora Borealis! These teammates have all rowed 200,000 m or more for their antler lights, the holiday challenge pin, and great Concept2 donations!

Cathie (ROCKET)

Jim (SILVERHEELS)

David T (CHAMP)

Zander (BOLT)

Robyn (KAP)

Tony (FIBONACCI)

Karyn (NEO)

Douglas (ROVER)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Flashing Harnesses

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Reindeer with 300,000 m or more get a flashing red harness in addition to antler lights!

Reba (PRINCESS)

Michelle (ATHENA)

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » December 22nd, 2013, 1:48 pm

Jesse stole it :lol:

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.21.13

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 1:50 pm

Image Day 25 or 26 of 27...depending upon the hemisphere...

Season meters as of 235/365 = 83,000,068 m

Total meters on the day = 582,853 m

Oars in space (participation) = 32 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

4.65 MM Ron
3.9 MM Ed
1.75 MM Minnie
1.45 MM Reba
1.2 MM Peter G
1.1 MM Anita
300 K Andrea
200 K Douglas
100 K Sorin

Thanks, everyone, for rowing and ski-erging with us!

Lily 2,500 m
K2 2,600 m
Nataliya 3,300 m
Mike M 3,416 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m :D
David T 4,000 m
Pat S 4,008 m
Gene 4,400 m
Marty 4,400 m
James S 5,000 m
Rachel 5,000 m
Rivka 5,000 m
Marie ImageImageImageImage m :D
Cathie 6,000 m
Michelle 6,500 m
Harold ImageImageImageImage m :D
Diana 7,000 m
Robyn 7,009 m
Karyn 7,397 m
Rosi 7,500 m
Jim ImageImageImageImage m :D
Tom M 8,416 m
Jane 8,513 m
Steven 8,599 m
AJ 9,497 m
Anita 10,000 m
Christa 10,000 m
Terry 10,017 m
Zander 11,000 m
Ronnie ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Norton 11,202 m
Peter G 11,204 m
Kevin 12,500 m
Mike G 12,670 m
Minnie ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Norma ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Rebecca 15,000 m
Stephen 18,724 m
Image Ron 25,097 m
Image Douglas 25,693 m
Image Jay 26,000 m
ImageSorin 28,319 m
Image Reba 36,115 m
Image Andrea 36,875 m
Ed 100,000 m

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Reindeer Facts

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

Don't it make my brown eyes blue....or so the song went. Turns out that reindeer eyes change color from summer to winter....in the summer, their peepers are yellow-green and in the winter, they are blue. I suspect that Nataliya knows this already.

There was a reindeer article in the Tucson paper today, possibly reprinted in many newspapers around the US. I particularly got a kick out of the way that distances of 6 miles or so used to be measured in reindeer miles. http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/dec ... -reindeer/

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » December 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

Kerry1976 wrote:Hey everyone, have not been around here in forever, but hope to be able to get back to rowing sometime soon and get helping the team again.

Baby boy is due January 30! This is my first baby, so everything is new, exciting and somewhat terrifying!!!! :D

Had to quit rowing sometime back as my belly got in the way and my form was not good. I took the opportunity to finally learn how to swim. Swim lessons were cut short in October when I became sick as can be with horrible sinus and upper respiratory issues (including an awful cough) that kept me down for well over a month. But ever since have been a-ok.

Again, look forward to joining the rowing team again soon!

Kerry
Image Future rower.... :D

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Another reindeer claimed !

Post by Kona2 » December 23rd, 2013, 11:20 am

As the Holiday Challenge finish line looms closer and closer, I find that I am silently cheering on those who are working towards their reindeer. Melissa was at 98K for the Challenge for a couple of days...but never fear...she has claimed her reindeer, Snowflake...in honor of both what's been falling from the sky here, and that word jumble puzzle. Congratulations, Melissa, on earning the Concept2 donation, and meeting the Holiday Challenge!

Melissa (SNOWFLAKE)