LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Astro claimed !

Post by Kona2 » December 18th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Whoop, whoop, and hooyah. A bit late in the Challenge, but still made it to the first tier. With three people voting Astro, 1 for Statist (a new word for me!), and 1 Fred (like that one too), Astro gets the nod. I am somewhat curious about Astro Bunny trails.... :lol: Thanks for supplying a name for my reindeer!

K2 (ASTRO)

dgoforth
Paddler

Re: He's A Meter Multi-Millionaire !!!

Post by dgoforth » December 18th, 2013, 7:32 pm

bg wrote:
macbruce1 wrote:
Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImage Image

Whoop, whoop and hooyah! Congratulations, Norton, on achieving a TWO million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more !!
Nice navigating Norton B)
Da Do Ron Ron
wooooo hoooo and congrats from me too :}

and welcome doug :}
Thanks!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Another reindeer claimed !

Post by Kona2 » December 18th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Thought Jayne might get her reindeer today, and she has indeed met the Concept2 donation level, and freed up her reindeer. Congratulations! Jayne lives in Brackley, GBR....which is quite close to some Formula 1 racing, and home to Mercedes AMG. These were tempting as initial reindeer name leads, but the history of the place (and Great Britain has much history to choose from) was more entertaining. Seems that Brackley was once one of five jousting tournament sites chosen by King Richard. That would be Richard I (Lionheart) vs Richard III (meanie). Traveling still further into Wiki-land, I found what I was looking for.... historically, Brackley was a big market for wool and lace. We haven't had a song theme for awhile, so turn your oldies radio dial to Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs....and meet the newest reindeer, Wooly (so named for Wooly Bully). And btw, Wooly Bully was the name of Sam's cat. It's just a fun song about not being square and learning to dance. And that's all. Of course, with all those disclaimers...you'll wonder anyway. :lol:

Jayne (WOOLY)

Uno, dos,
one, two, tres, quatro.

Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw.
Had two big horns and a wooly jaw.
Wooly bully, wooly bully.
Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully.

Hatty told Matty: "Let's don't take no chance.
Let's not be *L-seven*, come and learn to dance."

Matty told Hatty: "That's the thing to do.
Get you someone really to pull the wool with you."

just27
10k Poster

Re: Another reindeer claimed !

Post by just27 » December 18th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Kona2 wrote: ... We haven't had a song theme for awhile, so turn your oldies radio dial to Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs....and meet the newest reindeer, Wooly (so named for Wooly Bully).

Hatty told Matty: "Let's don't take no chance.
Let's not be *L-seven*, come and learn to dance."
Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully ...
Egads ... yet another blast from the past to bounce around my brain like popcorn, and keep me awake in the middle of the night! I'll be too tired to row, tomorrow. (And, the dog ate my homework.)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

He's A Meter Multi-Millionaire !!!

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 4:46 pm

ImageImageImage Image

Whoop, whoop and hooyah! Another personal milestone happens during a big Challenge! Congratulations, Stephen, on achieving a TWO million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Reba (PRINCESS)

Hooboy! Princess has earned her antler lights....and declared that she really wanted to be decked out in red. Congratulations, Reba, on meeting another milestone and earning more Concept2 donation $$$! Way to go!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

More Antler Glow !

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Ka-ching! The Concept2 donation meter is on constant ka-ching as the team goes wild with all the meters! Those ringing the bell at the 200,000 m milestone with LOTS of Concept2 donation dollars...AND earning the coveted 200K Holiday Challenge pin very recently are:

Anita (ELKE)

Christa (DONNER)

Harold (TUNDRA)

Mikkel (RADAR)

Peter G (TRIUMPH)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

The Red Harness Flashes Again !

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Jay (COMET)

Jay's reindeer, Comet, is blazing through the sky and has earned 300,000 m for a ton of Concept2 donation $$$ AND the flashing red harness! Way to row, Jay!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.18.13

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Image Six days remain...still time for Concept2 donations!!

There is no "cramming" with meters....you gotta get them done one at a time....

What an in-cred-i-ble number of meters and milestones all our teammates have been generating in the last 22 days! Yep, we're on day 22 of the Challenge....it's a whirlwind!
Image And, if your reindeer needs a different name....just give a shout....

Season meters as of 232/365 = 79,280,155 m

Total meters on the day = 626,847 m

Oars in space (participation) = 36 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

4.55 MM Ron
2.45 MM Jay
2.0 MM Stephen
1.75 MM Rosi
1.2 MM Reba
1.2 MM Rivka
650 K Christa
500 K Greg C
500 K Norma
150 K Jayne

Thanks, everyone, for rowing and ski-erging with us!

Lily 2,100 m
Tristan ImageImageImageImage m :D a favorite number!
Gene 2,500 m
Mike M 3,254 m
Nataliya 3,500 m
Tom M 3,838 m ... a double double
Bobbie 4,890 m
Marty 5,000 m
Jim 5,300 m
Marie ImageImageImageImage m :D
Diana 6,880 m
Karyn 6,880 m
Sarah 7,068 m
Zander 7,200 m
Christa 7,500 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m :D
Robyn ImageImageImageImage m :D
Anita 8,000 m
Ronnie 8,000 m'
Rosi 8,018 m
AJ 8,170 m
Jane 8,110 m
Peter G 10,000 m
Michelle 10,500 m
Ross 10,526 m
Harold 11,000 m
Rivka 11,000 m
Norma 11,178 m
Mike G 11,809 m
Mikkel ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Richard T ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Minnie ImageImageImageImageImage m :D a palindrome
Greg C 12,601 m
Howard 12,719 m
Paul R 13,225 m ... getting close to that reindeer!
Rebecca 15,000 m
Jay 15,050 m
Stephen 15,094 m
K2 16,093 m
Jayne Image ImageImageImageImage m :D splendid
David T 18,000 m
Melissa 18,000 m
David A 19,371 m
Norton 20,206 m
Image Douglas 21,795 m
Image Dan W 23,000 m
Image Ed 25,000 m
Image bg 30,140 m
Image Ron 33,000 m
Image Reba 58,013 m ....wowzer!

dgoforth
Paddler

Post by dgoforth » December 19th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Currious. What is the pie reference in rowing?

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » December 19th, 2013, 6:32 pm

dgoforth wrote:Currious. What is the pie reference in rowing?

It's just one of the number games we reference. It started with repeater numbers, the 3333s etc., and moved on to countdowns and count ups, then to Fibonacci sequences, and somewhere in there, there began to be pi....3141 or 3142 if there was rounding, and sometimes a BIG pi of 31,415 or 6 ....and most recently, a half pi(e) that I would never have noticed of 15,708 by Norma...who warned me I was going to get hit with a half pi before the day's posting. Fun stuff - although I sometimes miss the references if I am in a hurry or inattentive....

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Post by Kristine Strasburger » December 19th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Congratulations, Tristan, on earning Rudolph! Way to lead the heard. And welcome to the Team, Douglas. Glad you chose the Luna-Tics!
☆~Kristine~☆

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Half Million in the Holiday Challenge

Post by Kona2 » December 20th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Whoop, whoop and hooyah! We have our THIRD reindeer earning greater than 500K in the Holiday Challenge as our man in Qatar gets the reindeer, the antler lights, the flashing harness, the tail wag and finally, the ear wag! Wowzer!

Ed (VIXEN)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

More Antler Glow !

Post by Kona2 » December 20th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Robert (CUPID)

Congratulations, Robert H, on earning lots of Concept2 donation dollars, the antler lights with getting your 200,000 m completed, AND the Holiday Challenge pin!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Not quite a first, but still a BIG deal !

Post by Kona2 » December 20th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Image 21,097 m ....Teresa !

At first I thought this was a FIRST....because it has been a long time since 21,097 m popped up next to Teresa's name! I searched the ranking section of the logbook, and sure enough she logged in the official half marathon and got it ranked yesterday. AND, then I looked back through the years and discovered that it's been five years since Teresa threw down a half marathon she liked well enough to rank. So that makes this one truly noteworthy (although they ALL are) because she's celebrating it, too. Only three minutes difference between the one in 2009 and the one she completed yesterday. That is EXCELLENT, Missy.

This sent me down a sort of bunny trail. I wondered why it is - given that we have SO MANY milestones that are noteworthy as full marathons, and half marathons, and 10Ks, and 5Ks and 2Ks - I wondered what makes us stop ranking them or not rank them. There are a few who have some really specific goals about getting a sub-7 2K for example, who do pay very close attention to ranking their individual sessions. But, for the most part, we do our time on the erg and we log the meters, and we don't rank them. There are all kinds of meters - the kind that are hooboy - that was fast, and the kind that some call crappy meters because you're just getting the distance done and it's not really giving you a good workout. I know I have some of those...especially when I reach a level of tired that means I really need to take a rest vs push on and on. You can always go back in your history and look at the different distances you've rowed, and see what kind of times you were throwing down. Time is merely a tool....

The psychological component of some of these distances looms large when we think about them. And the hooyah! moment that occurs when they are conquered (and it absolutely DOES NOT MATTER how quickly you finish them....just that you FINISH them) is, as they say, priceless. I know that I wanted to commemorate the feat when I first completed a half marathon. I wanted the tee shirt...except there wasn't one then (that I knew about). Now, with Cafe Press as Concept2's partner, I believe you can order the tee shirt when you get an official half or full marathon into the books. You can also order the half or full marathon mug to quaff your favorite beverage after completing such an event. Used to be that Concept2 would provide the mug with the full marathon distance on it, but costs of shipping these items became prohibitive...but you can indeed order your mugs. Some have completed so many of these types of events that they would be overrun with items if they commemorated each and every one of them. For those of us that don't go after these distances nearly as often, it's a stretch assignment worthy of celebrating. So whether you celebrate with the quiet confidence of knowing that you've done something that much of the world can't do, or you give it a big SHOUT OUT of hooyah!, do celebrate!
Last edited by Kona2 on December 20th, 2013, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.