Alternative To Max Hr Test ?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Bill

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Bill » August 7th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Hello,<br /><br />I can pull 40 minutes at a constant pace and spm and keep my heart rate relatively steady - rising from 156 to 163. Probably due to drift.<br /><br />So can I use this to deduce that my upper limit UT1 rate is 160ish ?<br /><br />And then extrapolate to predict a new Max HR ?<br /><br />I want to get an indication of what max HR might be from other existing data without doing the full blown gutbusting test.<br /><br />A couple of years ago I freaked out on a 2k PB attempt when it went to 175 however I now suspect that my true max HR is a lot higher than what the 220-age equation predicts. <br /><br />I know the equation is plus/minus 15, and am keen to refine my estimate without doing horrible exhaustion tests with the risk of hurting myself.<br /><br /><br />Bill

[old] TomR/the elder

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » August 9th, 2005, 2:56 pm

I've never done a test. I did record a HR of 176 at the end of a hard 10k the other (very hot) day at age 59. (200-age is a meaningless number.) Perhaps if you put on a finishing kick for the final 1,500 mtrs of your next 10k you can come up w/ a reasonable proxy of your max.<br /><br />Tom

[old] michaelb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] michaelb » August 9th, 2005, 7:30 pm

I thought that I had read somewhere that the 10k was a little long for a HR max test, and that the 5k was a better indicator. So an all out 5k PB may be an ok alternative (that is what I use, but it doesn't really matter that much to me what my max HR is for my training).<br /><br />I do like to pretend that I have the heart of a 28 year old though.

[old] NavigationHazard

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » August 10th, 2005, 3:59 am

If what you're after are more accurate training bands, maximum HR isn't all that meaningful. Much more immediately useful are your aerobic and especially anaerobic thresholds, which can be guesstimated without maximal effort.<br /><br />The most accurate way to determine your anaerobic threshold is laboratory testing, either expired-gas or blood-lactate. (Even there you don't need to go to max). But you can approximate it reasonably well on your own. The Training Manual on the C2 UK site shows one way to do so -- see <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... ical_tools' target='_blank'>Training Manual- Physiological Tools</a>. For this test you don't need to go to max, only enough to reveal the deflection in the plot of HR vs watts.<br /><br /> <br />

[old] Rowmum

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Rowmum » August 12th, 2005, 10:51 am

Hi there!<br />Have you ever tried Ownzone from Polar?<br />It determines your fitnesslevel and min/max heartrate before every training and has a fitnesstest which gives you your VO2max rate after 5 minutes.<br />It gives you your weekly training schedule and reminds you to train regularly.<br />I have used the Polar F11 for a few months now and it really serves as my new personal trainer.<br />If you want perfectly reliable results, you can go to a lab and do a full test, but for me that is just too expensive.<br />Good luck,<br />Andrea from Germany

[old] Bill

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Bill » August 14th, 2005, 4:00 am

Hey Navigation Hazard,<br /><br />Thanks for the tip, I never realised that I didnt have to go to exhaustion on that test, but I see what you mean all I need is the deflection point on the curve.<br /><br />Had a go yesterday but pulled out too soon, no clear deflection point.<br /><br />Will have another go tommorrow<br /><br />Bill<br />

[old] c2workout

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] c2workout » August 14th, 2005, 10:57 am

Bill a few years ago I was working on a study to see if I could determine a way to plan out the next 2K race pace from one 2K test to another. I came up with a C2 steptest to determine a base line and then before the next 2K run a step test again and look for how much improvement.<br /><br />Heart rate increases very linearly between 114 BPM to about 85% of your MHR. So I have used this information with some other information to determine fitness changes. If you would like more information or would like to try this step test contact me at c2workout@yahoo.com and I will send you the step test protocol.<br /><br />From this worksheet you may be able to see what level of intensity you would need to be at, to reach your MHR.<br /><br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />Stephen

[old] archerw@bigpond.com

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] archerw@bigpond.com » August 19th, 2005, 3:07 am

G'day Bill<br /><br />I've been experimenting with HR data and have concluded as others have that MHR will always be a range rather than a definitive figure. at 59 I pulled 39:27 for 10 k at average HR of 159 and MHR of 170 so these will be my guide for future similiar efforts over that distance. I believe a good test of fitness is HEART RATE RECOVERY, that is, how quickly your MHR drops after an effort. I found that from a MHR of 170 my HR dropped to 113 after 1 minute, a 33% drop, would be interested to compare with other rowers.<br /><br />Regards<br />Wazza

[old] TomR/the elder

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » August 19th, 2005, 6:12 am

Wazza--<br /><br />Like you, I'm 59, although a bit slower on the erg.<br /><br />I do my hard 10k workouts at a consistent 24 spm, w/ no burst at the end. I'm gradually increasing the pace, so that each workout is slightly faster than the previous one. My experience is that my HR climbs throughout the row. It is about 75% at 2.5k, 80+% at 5k, 85% at 7.5k, and approx 90% at 10k. In the heat two weeks ago, my HR reached 176, which is about as high as I've ever seen it.<br /><br />I see a similar pattern on my 1-hour rows, which I do at 22 spm and a pace about 4 sec/500 slower than the 10k pace. The increase in HR is more gradual, of course, and typically HR is about 165 at the end.<br /><br />Based on your post, I'll now watch how quickly HR drops. The avg for a 10k row tends to be in the 150s, slightly above 80%; for 60 min it's in the mid- to high-140s, 75+%. [For percentages, I'm using heart rate reserve: (max hr-min hr)X%+min hr.]<br /><br />Tom

[old] Bill

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Bill » August 20th, 2005, 1:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-archerw@bigpond.com+Aug 19 2005, 02:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(archerw@bigpond.com @ Aug 19 2005, 02:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->G'day Bill<br /><br />I've been experimenting with HR data and have concluded as others have that MHR will always be a range rather than a definitive figure.  at 59 I pulled 39:27 for 10 k at average HR of 159 and MHR of 170 so these will be my guide for future similiar efforts over that distance.  I believe a good test of fitness is HEART RATE RECOVERY, that is, how quickly your MHR drops after an effort.  I found that from a MHR of 170 my HR dropped to 113 after 1 minute, a 33% drop, would be interested to compare with other rowers.<br /><br />Regards<br />Wazza <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hello Wazza,<br /><br />Great idea <br /><br />After winding myself faster and faster over the last 10 minutes of a recent 10k pb ma final HR was 170 and I dropped 28bpm in the next 60 seconds.<br /><br />Generally my 1 minute recovery is between 28 and 40 for most pieces in the last 12 months<br /><br />SO your 33% drop is way way above my 16% drop<br /><br />Bill

[old] Bill

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Bill » August 20th, 2005, 8:30 am

and just did 1 hour PB avg 158 max 164 at end<br /><br />Drop over 1 minute = 164 to 133 = 29<br /><br /><br />Bill<br />