TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
divagirl655
Paddler

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by divagirl655 » December 3rd, 2013, 11:33 am

i am starting late on the challenge due to a lot of unexpected company over the holiday. Very happy to spend that time with kids and grandkids :D But I am not too worried because I have Rio (our macaw) hollering "row, row, row" to me to make sure I am not slacking. It is great to have encouragement at home and with team TimbukTOO!

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » December 3rd, 2013, 11:44 am

divagirl655 wrote:i am starting late on the challenge due to a lot of unexpected company over the holiday. Very happy to spend that time with kids and grandkids :D But I am not too worried because I have Rio (our macaw) hollering "row, row, row" to me to make sure I am not slacking. It is great to have encouragement at home and with team TimbukTOO!
I want video of Rio!!!

Good luck with the challenge!

ETA: After reading up on the web, I conclude I have bruised ribs. Apparently nothing to be done except make sure to keep breathing deeply to avoid pneumonia. I will have to be cheering from the sidelines for a bit.
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

Bobbie_Zee
1k Poster

Post by Bobbie_Zee » December 3rd, 2013, 3:29 pm

Oh, to have an encouraging macaw shrieking ROW ROW ROW.

If it weren't for this pesky job, I would crank out the 15,931 meters I need to push me over the 1MM hump (season). But I have not one but TWO holiday parties tonight. Eat, drink, be merry, and all that bunk. If it weren't for rowing, I'd be shopping for bigger clothes.

We'll row for you, Lisa......

The Blacksmith
2k Poster

Post by The Blacksmith » December 3rd, 2013, 6:57 pm

ETA: After reading up on the web, I conclude I have bruised ribs. Apparently nothing to be done except make sure to keep breathing deeply to avoid pneumonia. I will have to be cheering from the sidelines for a bit.[/quote]

After reading up on the web??? Didja ever think of, Oh-I don't know, maybe an actual medical opinion??? :? :? :?

Kyle J
500m Poster

Post by Kyle J » December 3rd, 2013, 7:03 pm

damselfly wrote:
ETA: After reading up on the web, I conclude I have bruised ribs. Apparently nothing to be done except make sure to keep breathing deeply to avoid pneumonia. I will have to be cheering from the sidelines for a bit.
Lisa, I had bruised ribs about a month ago. Taking deep breaths hurt, as did bending. Two trips to the chiropractor worked wonders! I had never been to one before but I'm a believer now! Get well soon!!
I'm from Vermont...I'll do what I want

Kyle J
500m Poster

Post by Kyle J » December 3rd, 2013, 7:39 pm

I went to the Biltmore Estate while I was in North Carolina visiting my brother...check out the old fashioned torture device they have in the middle of their gymnasium!!
Wish I could have tried it out! (I think)
biltmore rower.jpg
biltmore rower.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
I'm from Vermont...I'll do what I want

mathineer
500m Poster

Post by mathineer » December 3rd, 2013, 9:29 pm

damselfly wrote: ETA: After reading up on the web, I conclude I have bruised ribs. Apparently nothing to be done except make sure to keep breathing deeply to avoid pneumonia. I will have to be cheering from the sidelines for a bit.
I hope the ribs get better before anyone thinks about grilling them! Uh oh, now I'm thinking about slow-smoked, ribs. Mmmm, ribs....

johnb
2k Poster

Post by johnb » December 4th, 2013, 12:02 am

Thanks for all the 'atta boys' on my weight loss achievements. Been having some great workouts recently. My meters are suffering a little but my cross training is off the charts. Tonight I had a one hour personal training session that rocked my world, but I had no gas left in the rank for my usual 45 minute row. I think I see a half marathon in my near future to catch up. I did do 122 push ups during 3 one minute bursts though and feel like I am in the best shape of my life right now and rowing is a big part of it! I love this community too, there is so much encouragement and positive energy that I can't help but feed off of it. Have a great night all. Lisa I hope you and your man are feeling better.

divagirl655
Paddler

Post by divagirl655 » December 4th, 2013, 9:08 am

Lisa, I will try to get video of Rio. He is a such a clown. Wishing you and your husband a speedy recovery. And I wanted to thank you for all you do. I am 48 this month and am rowing to lose weight and get physically fit. So far have lost 15 lbs and have more energy. I know it is different strokes for different folks but I tried Rowpro and was not losing weight and switched to the daily workouts and started seeing results. I think for me it was that the row pro workouts were only 2-3 thousand meters and very low intensity (maybe I set up the program wrong) and the daily workout on Concept 2 are much more intense and longer. I am really enjoying this and wish I would have discovered rowing earlier. I still have a lot to learn as far as the terms and what the numbers mean that I see on this site but as I get fitter I will learn more terms.

Susan

P.S. Maybe I will teach Rio to sing Row Row Row your boat next :P

KevinMcGinn
Paddler

Post by KevinMcGinn » December 4th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Hi Cyclingman1,

Thanks for the words or wisdom - I've taken it all on board! Mind over matter.... :) - the reason my distances per week are inconsistent is because one of the weeks was a 10k then a 25k row in training for the marathon row of 42,195m I did two weeks later :) - i do actively aim to do around 7.5k a day though (except Sunday) and where i do less is when I am tired.

Kev

Cyclingman1 wrote:
KevinMcGinn wrote:New PB: 7722m ave 1.56.5 (30min) - any tips on getting to 8k?
8K in 30 min (1:52.5) is a demarcation line for male HW rowers aspiring to be pretty good, much like 7:00 (1:45) for 2K. Unless one is already a decent endurance athlete, it will take a few months of lengthy rows combined with some faster, shorter rows to get to 1:52.5 for 30mins. 1:56.5 is not far away, but it is hard to say how quickly the 4 sec can be achieved without an athletic history, age, etc, etc. The meters rowed per week is fairly inconsistent. 30K every week is better than 10K one week and 60K the next, at least to begin with.

KevinMcGinn
Paddler

Re: Goals.....

Post by KevinMcGinn » December 4th, 2013, 5:42 pm

haha - love this Conejm.... That sounds like me - competitive as anything! will put your "plan" into action :twisted:
CONLEJM wrote:
KevinMcGinn wrote:9 weeks (OK, today is the 10th) on Concept 2 rower - New PB: 7722m ave 1.56.5 (30min) - any tips on getting to 8k? :D
Row faster! :lol:

As Jim G said, much of your success in rowing is going to be a function of how conditioned you are, your age, weight, height, form and numerous other factors. Also, there is going to be a law of diminished returns; you'll make great strides at first, and then incrementally smaller improvements as time goes on.

One thing that motivated me last season and the previous season was ranking myself against others. Concept 2 has a great ranking system as you probably already know, and if you are the least bit competitive you'll find it very useful. At first I tried to get all my rows for the various distances/times up to the 90th percentile. Then that didn't satisfy, so I tried to get them all to the 95th percentile. And then the 97th percentile, and so on. Some got as high as the 99th percentile. Eventually you try to get a measly tenth of a second, or a single meter, more than the guy right above you! :twisted:

Keep up the good work!

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » December 4th, 2013, 6:49 pm

CONLEJM wrote:One thing that motivated me last season and the previous season was ranking myself against others. ... Eventually you try to get a measly tenth of a second, or a single meter, more than the guy right above you!
KevinMcGinn wrote:haha - love this Conejm.... That sounds like me - competitive as anything! will put your "plan" into action
On the surface, competition seems like a good thing, a motivator. One thing I have found in more than one sport is that trying to beat the other guy on the way up the rankings is a whole lot less stressful than being the one stalked. Being on top, knowing that you are the one being stalked, can be pretty stressful. Fear of failure, fear of success, the pressure to perform, all of those demons, stark lurking. It is hard to explain, but, trust me, not many athletes are immune from it. Of course, there are many degress of competitiveness.
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 78, 76", 205lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-78: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:32.7 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

Bobbie_Zee
1k Poster

Post by Bobbie_Zee » December 5th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Just inched over 1MM (season). I'm feeling a tad competitive, myself, gentlemen. Next goal: finish the season at 2MM.

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » December 6th, 2013, 1:09 am

Bobbie_Zee wrote:Just inched over 1MM (season). I'm feeling a tad competitive, myself, gentlemen. Next goal: finish the season at 2MM.
Bobbie, you made it, even without a macaw cheering you on! Congrats on the MILLION METERS! Way to go!!!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » December 6th, 2013, 1:39 am

Okay, here's a reminder of how the Holiday Challenge works:
If you row up to 99,999 meters between Nov. 28 & Dec. 24th, Concept 2 will donate zero to charity on your behalf. When you hit 100,000, they give $2.00 (100 x .02). Every K after that elicits another .04 donation. They look to donate in excess of $30,000, as they did last year.
Last year, TimbukTOO as a team obligated C2 in just over $150. Can we break $175 this year? Could we dream of $200?
Here's the donation so far, as of 12:30AM EST last night:
Team Holiday Challenge Earnings: $12.16
Diane M : $8.40
Walter W : $3.76