Replacing Handles?

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
mrpiii
Paddler

Replacing Handles?

Post by mrpiii » July 1st, 2013, 11:24 pm

Now that I'm into longer sessions of an hour or more, the hand straps slip over time especially as they get wet from sweat. It is very frustrating to have to stop and adjust the straps when you are trying to be consistent. My "friendly" coach is adamant that I not have a death grip on my pole handles when Nordic skiing. It is impossible not to pick up that habit as the SkiErg straps slip. Has anyone developed a good method to use Swix or other straps?

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Re: Replacing Handles?

Post by Drivetofast » July 2nd, 2013, 6:28 am

I have same problem. I have been using Tape on protruding ends. If you find some straps that work Please give a shout out Thanks

mrpiii
Paddler

Post by mrpiii » July 7th, 2013, 12:39 am

I wonder how many others are frustrated with the handles? I suspect Concept2 sees no reason to consider different handles if most are happy with the current ones -- it is an unnecessary expense. If you are unhappy then let them know. The SkiErg is the standard for indoor training; I think it needs handles that more accurately reflect real ski poles.

Marshall

Harpo316!
Paddler

Post by Harpo316! » September 11th, 2013, 8:34 am

http://www.nordicfitnessskimachines.com ... itness.jpg

I haven't yet ordered my SkiERG but I was planning to replace the existing handles with these (see link)..
I replaced the regular handles on my old Nordic Track with these and they were 10X better and I'm hoping they
are compatible with the SkiErg. I agree, IMO the handles on the SkiErg could be much better.
Has anyone tried replacing the handles with these Nordic Grips or anything similar? Or does anyone know if they are compatible with the SkiErg?
thanks-Mark

mrpiii
Paddler

Post by mrpiii » September 21st, 2013, 1:21 pm

I replaced the handles with Swix handles and straps. It is extremly easy. Unfortunately we can't do attachments in this forum. If you have a Facebook account look at the SkiErg page and you will see several examples how best to do it. Or you can send me an email (marshall.peterson(at)gmail.com) and I'll send you some pictures. My problem with the grips you are considering is that it creates a habit of griping the handles. That is OK if you don't Nordic ski but gripping your ski poles is a no no while skiing.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » September 21st, 2013, 2:40 pm

mrpiii wrote:I replaced the handles with Swix handles and straps. It is extremly easy. Unfortunately we can't do attachments in this forum. If you have a Facebook account look at the SkiErg page and you will see several examples how best to do it. Or you can send me an email (marshall.peterson(at)gmail.com) and I'll send you some pictures. My problem with the grips you are considering is that it creates a habit of griping the handles. That is OK if you don't Nordic ski but gripping your ski poles is a no no while skiing.
??? That seems to be true of the UK forum, but I have sent attachments on this one.

Bob S.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 21st, 2013, 2:47 pm

Bob S. wrote:
mrpiii wrote:I replaced the handles with Swix handles and straps. It is extremly easy. Unfortunately we can't do attachments in this forum. If you have a Facebook account look at the SkiErg page and you will see several examples how best to do it. Or you can send me an email (marshall.peterson(at)gmail.com) and I'll send you some pictures. My problem with the grips you are considering is that it creates a habit of griping the handles. That is OK if you don't Nordic ski but gripping your ski poles is a no no while skiing.
??? That seems to be true of the UK forum, but I have sent attachments on this one.

Bob S.
It's easiest to post the pictures on http://imageshack.us and use the forum "BBcode" that they generate to post here and/or on http://therowingcompany,com/forum

KCBerg
Paddler

Post by KCBerg » February 11th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I completely agree about the straps. They loosen and slip off, encouraging a strong grip on the handles. Purchase my skierg in Dec 2013 and would have hoped that C2 would have solved this by now.

BTW, the U.S. forum (at least now) has an "upload attachment" option. If any of you guys can now attach a video of how to replace the handles, I would appreciate it.

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » February 12th, 2014, 10:24 am

Here's a video that shows how to put handle extensions on the skierg (for wheelchair bound folks). It includes removing and installing the handles. Hope this helps.....C2JonW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqB9ug8qBY
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

taco
Paddler

Post by taco » February 22nd, 2014, 1:28 am

I put a few stitches on the straps so that they wouldn't slip.

Stefankinell
Paddler

Post by Stefankinell » February 3rd, 2015, 6:16 pm

Hi,
I'm using the new Skierg which came with the green handles. Since I bought the Skierg to prepare for skiing on snow, not just as a fitnes tool I swaped the handles directly (well after three sessions if I shoild be corect) to swix triac cork handels and triad 2.0 straps. Did not take me more than 5 minutes to fix. This way I can have more correct technique and also prepare my hands for the pressure that will be during racing. If wanted I can post a picture of how I did it, just let me know

Best regards
Stefan
Skierg, wall mounted v2.
PM5 with FW 719
Swix triac cork handles and triac 2.0 straps instead of the green original handles

rakserv
500m Poster

Post by rakserv » February 4th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Concept2 has a handle retrofit kit ($40) to update the SkiErg1 handles to the SkiErg2 handles, so the straps are a non-issue. You have to call them to order the kit.

btlnorway
500m Poster

Post by btlnorway » February 25th, 2015, 6:27 am

If you put the hand in the right way, the SkiErg-strap will not loosen.

This is how you wear it :-)

I see alot of people wear the SkiErg strap this way.
ModelD:Image
SkiErg :Image

Stefankinell
Paddler

Post by Stefankinell » February 25th, 2015, 8:29 am

Hi
I would actually argue they do loosen up anyway, at least on the SkiErg first gen I used at the gym last year. After almost every intervall I had to tighten the straps. And yes, I know how to hold a skiing pole the proper way, even though I'm from Sweden. :D

//Stefan
Skierg, wall mounted v2.
PM5 with FW 719
Swix triac cork handles and triac 2.0 straps instead of the green original handles

btlnorway
500m Poster

Post by btlnorway » February 25th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Ok, It's a bit embarresing for a norwegian to say, but I allways held the SkiErg pole the wrong way, but I have been used swix-profit/triac straps for at least 15 years.

When Holding the pole the wrong way, I have to tighten them every minute. At monday I found out the right way to wear them as I was going to do the last stage of Tour de SkiERG. It was 10000m and I did not tighten the straps during this run.
ModelD:Image
SkiErg :Image