TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
Cikan Vuz
1k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by Cikan Vuz » September 15th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I guess we shall see tomorrow what those who rowed after 9ish am Lisa's time rowed =])

I decided, since it is the first day of the Fall Challenge, to kick it up and rowed my best times yet plus, I rowed a lot, I feel great! :D

johnb
2k Poster

Post by johnb » September 15th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Yeah, I am excited to see the numbers too. I had a good row today, and listened to all the sage advice teammates offered me yesterday. I even reviewed the links from the C2 site. I have reduced my stroke rate (slightly), know my drag factor now(120), focused on my form, cadence, and transition timing between the drive and recovery. I saw the glove discussion earlier, I use my weight-lifting gloves which work fine for me, not all solutions work the same for everyone. We are all the same and yet all different. :D I find the C2 seat a bit hard & uncomfortable for longer rows, but I strategically fold a gym towel over it to provide a little cushioning and just go from there!

Cikan Vuz
1k Poster

Post by Cikan Vuz » September 15th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Awesome!!!

Me, I do not use gloves but then I do not use my thumbs right now, I just "hook" my fingers over the end of the bar and row away. I don't get calluses this way, well maybe a teeny tiny one here or there to sand at the end of the day, but I am not up there with the "big kids" yet since only been rowing since 8/5 =]) ( And my hiney as "natural" padding since I am an "chubby old lady" but once my home rower arrives,) I am looking at getting a seat pad, the usb cord and hoping RowPro. I am curious if you HAVE to have a heart monitor from Concept @ to use RowPro. I only says to hook it up before you start to row on tutorial I read, but I cant find where it says if you HAVE to have one or not...

I hope our team had an AWESOME row day!

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » September 15th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Great job everyone. I rowed my first 12km day since I started back on recovery. Feeling good.

@johnb - try some bubble wrap on the seat - it does wonders.

@cikan - I use a hook grip as well. I found that I am much more relaxed when I don't use an iron grip - and no more calluses, as you say.
Last edited by ronmardix on September 15th, 2013, 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cikan Vuz
1k Poster

Post by Cikan Vuz » September 15th, 2013, 9:37 pm

ronmardix wrote:Great job everyone. I rowed my first 12km day since I started back on recovery. Feeling good.

@johnb - try some bubble wrap on the seat - it does wonders.

@cikan - I use a hook grip as well. I found that I am much more relaxed when I don't use an iron grip - and no more calluses, as you say.
Awesome job today!

and TY!

:D :D :D

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » September 15th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Cikan Vuz wrote:Awesome!!!

Me, I do not use gloves but then I do not use my thumbs right now, I just "hook" my fingers over the end of the bar and row away. I don't get calluses this way, well maybe a teeny tiny one here or there to sand at the end of the day, but I am not up there with the "big kids" yet since only been rowing since 8/5 =]) ( And my hiney as "natural" padding since I am an "chubby old lady" but once my home rower arrives,) I am looking at getting a seat pad, the usb cord and hoping RowPro. I am curious if you HAVE to have a heart monitor from Concept @ to use RowPro. I only says to hook it up before you start to row on tutorial I read, but I cant find where it says if you HAVE to have one or not...

1) I use a loose grip too, though I wear "gloves" since I like doing very long rows.
2) Unless you have the PM4 & want to use their Suunto hookup, any old heart rate monitor (uncoded) works. I have used Polar, Reebok, Schwinn, etc. heart rate monitors. BUT you do need to have your receiver on the bottom of your beam to pick up the signals...

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » September 15th, 2013, 10:55 pm

quilter35 wrote:I have a question about Rowpro...I started a session and then had to stop in the middle (my computer screen saver came on and I couldn't reach it). When I went back to complete, it started from the beginning and didn't show what I had already done. I knew where I was, so I entered it manually and then started a new session.

Kris
The monitor is usually very good at picking up meters dropped by RowPro. (RowPro 4.0 has way fewer of those issues, if you haven't upgraded yet.) You have to shut down RowPro - sometimes the module is still running & I need to use Task Manager to do it - and then use the Concept 2 utility ( http://www.concept2.com/service/softwar ... t2-utility )to cull it from the Performance Monitor.

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » September 15th, 2013, 11:12 pm

gandcc wrote:I do not recommend the nogrip rowing gloves. I purchased a set and was dissatisfied with the performance. The big annoyance was the slippage of the glove because the thumb is not secured...this causes the glove to slip and twist during rows. Also the wristband is a poor design....it is too big for one thing and also suffers from the same slipping because of thumb. When the wristband slips it is painful...

Regards,
George
I, like Pat, now use the NewGrips, starting from when I had constant callouses from Half Marathon rows & longer. I'm not sure how the wristband can slip, since I'm the one securing it. Maybe buying a smaller size wristband can help.
I just make sure the gloves are to the tips of my fingers, then I secure the Velcro, & off I go. Didn't have much of a learning curve either, though I had some minor finger cramping until my fingers got used to the new grip.
The first problem I ever had with them started recently, when my hand sweat started seeping through the gloves and, after about 20K, the grip would slip off the handle, which (besides the initial shock of losing my grip) caused me to have to grip the handle tighter than I wanted. I may need to go to putting rosin on the handle, or to add some softer rubber.
Sorry they haven't worked for you, I just bought another pair...

Cikan Vuz
1k Poster

Post by Cikan Vuz » September 16th, 2013, 1:57 am

Izzzmeister wrote:
Cikan Vuz wrote:Awesome!!!

1) I use a loose grip too, though I wear "gloves" since I like doing very long rows.
2) Unless you have the PM4 & want to use their Suunto hookup, any old heart rate monitor (uncoded) works. I have used Polar, Reebok, Schwinn, etc. heart rate monitors. BUT you do need to have your receiver on the bottom of your beam to pick up the signals...
I have a "New Pyle PHRM38PN Pink Heart Rate Monitor Watch W/Calorie Counter & Target Zones. It is the chest band and watch, no other "receiver".

and ya, my rows are normally at least 2 hours in a sitting unless I decide to get up and do something that takes more than 4 minutes on water breaks or have a set lower goal, like today where I rowed 10k, then 10k, then 5k then took a nice break and then rowed a half marathon but today was out of norm as I was rowing for the Fall Challenge and in that I normally row 2 to 2.5 hours in a row, 5 x a week.

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » September 16th, 2013, 4:32 am

Izzzmeister wrote:
Cikan Vuz wrote:Unless you have the PM4 & want to use their Suunto hookup, any old heart rate monitor (uncoded) works. I have used Polar, Reebok, Schwinn, etc. heart rate monitors. BUT you do need to have your receiver on the bottom of your beam to pick up the signals...
I believe that on a PM4 any HRM that meets the ANT standard will work without the extra receiver. I use a Garmin.

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » September 16th, 2013, 6:26 am

Finally see some numbers for TimbukTWO on the C2 web site. Looks like there are some rowing fools in this group.
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 78, 76", 205lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-78: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:32.7 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 16th, 2013, 8:36 am

Cyclingman1 wrote:Finally see some numbers for TimbukTWO on the C2 web site. Looks like there are some rowing fools in this group.
Said with love, I'm sure !! :lol:
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 16th, 2013, 9:53 am

Cikan Vuz wrote: I have a "New Pyle PHRM38PN Pink Heart Rate Monitor Watch W/Calorie Counter & Target Zones. It is the chest band and watch, no other "receiver".
The receiver isn't part of the heart monitor, it's part of the rower. It's an add-on, a black cable that plugs in to the PM and you attach by fixing it to the bottom of the rail.
-- Lisa

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 16th, 2013, 9:55 am

ronmardix wrote:Great job everyone. I rowed my first 12km day since I started back on recovery. Feeling good.
Excellent!
-- Lisa

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » September 16th, 2013, 10:04 am

I have the heart rate monitor for my erg..bought it thru Concept2.It attaches rather easily to the rail..is sturdy and works with any heart rate monitor of that nature.I have several with all my cardio eqyuipment as I have a home gym.My heart rate monitor for each piece of equipment are inter changeable.I like mine very much and find them all to be quite accurate.I am a heart rate fanatic and check it and record it on a regular basis.I find that my heart rate measures my level of fitness the way I want it to..
I have Polar, Garmin, True , Octane etc as heart rate monitors and if I leave my chest band on from any of the mentioned..the erg picks it up

Pat B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]