Elbow Pain And Erging

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] pgpoon

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] pgpoon » March 11th, 2005, 1:38 am

Hi all: I am a newbie Ducks in a Row member. After my first 5000s, I started feeling post-workout pain in lateral aspect of L elbow. The pain comes with using a pinch grip on anything and sometimes just aches. I have started rowing with four fingers only, helps some. I don't reallyl feel pain while erging, just when pinch gripping. Ibu helps some. Any thoughts?

[old] SimonB

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] SimonB » March 11th, 2005, 10:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-pgpoon+Mar 11 2005, 12:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pgpoon @ Mar 11 2005, 12:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi all:  I am a newbie Ducks in a Row  member.  After my first 5000s, I started feeling post-workout pain in lateral aspect of L elbow.  The pain comes with using a pinch grip on anything and sometimes just aches.  I have started rowing with four fingers only, helps some.  I don't reallyl feel pain while erging, just when pinch gripping.  Ibu helps some.  Any thoughts? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi<br /><br />I have sometimes experienced this kind of pain in my wrist, arm and elbow.<br /><br />The best I have found is to warm up the arm and stretch it before rowing at any intensity.<br /><br />The stretching excercises published on the c2 web site (or better yet download the Training guide PDF). The <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/pdfs/tr ... pter_1.pdf' target='_blank'>Chapter 1 - Before and After Excercise</a> covers off the stretching of the arms and pulling of tendons.<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br />

[old] Canoeist

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Canoeist » March 16th, 2005, 11:15 am

Some ways to avoid elbow pain:<br /><br />1) Keep your elbows down and close to your body. Don't let your arms flap like a chicken.<br /><br />2) Don't pull with your arms until your legs are finished pushing.<br /><br />3) Don't do 500m or shorter thrashes until you have the technique right.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] pgpoon

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] pgpoon » April 13th, 2005, 12:29 am

Hi all, have taken the advice re stretching acc. to the manual, and actually took a 2.5 week break from erging. Also started NSAIDS and refraining from going at it too hard. Gloves seem to help, as well as pre- and post-erg light weight training for forearm/elbow strengthening. Am slowly improving, doing some running/walking but am sad to give up my 10K goal. I sound like some sort of rowing fanatic but have to admit to reallly loving it and wanting to do anything to keep it up. <br /><br />Your encouragement and hints do help. Thanks.<br /><br />

[old] preppiper

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] preppiper » April 15th, 2005, 2:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-pgpoon+Apr 12 2005, 11:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pgpoon @ Apr 12 2005, 11:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi all, have taken the advice re stretching acc. to the manual, and actually took a 2.5 week break from erging.  Also started NSAIDS and refraining from going at it too hard.  Gloves seem to help, as well as pre- and post-erg light weight training for forearm/elbow strengthening.  Am slowly improving, doing some running/walking but am sad to give up my 10K goal.  I sound like some sort of rowing fanatic but have to admit to reallly loving it and wanting to do anything to keep it up.  <br /><br />Your encouragement and hints do help.  Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I just came across your postings on elbow pain, and I want to urge you to be careful if you continue to feel any. I had to take more than six months off from erging, and when I came back it was in slow, 500 meter increments. I found that an elastic brace was helpful for the pain, but the only thing that really improved it was lots of rest. The biggest mistake I made was to ignore it for a few weeks and keep rowing. The problem was that it always felt better when I rowed. Little things like turning a doorknob and shaking hands were much more painful. Give that pain some respect if it comes back!

[old] Rocket Roy

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Rocket Roy » April 15th, 2005, 3:41 pm

Also try your thumbs on top, that seemed to help me.

[old] Byron Drachman

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » April 15th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I also had problems with sore elbows. This might not work for you, but I solved the problem by changing the angle of my hands. It turns out that Bert had also changed his handle to deal with his sore elbows. Here is an old thread on the topic:<br /><br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... =1113&st=0' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... t=0</a><br /><br />This is assuming that you're keeping your arms straight during the first part of the drive and that you're not pulling with your arms too early.<br /><br />Byron