For Those Interested In Super Slow

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 17th, 2005, 8:45 pm

Hey Folks,<br /><br />If you're interested in Super Slow, you might check out this site. www.howtobefit.com/super-slow.htm <br /><br />Mostly general information, but it should get you thinking.<br /><br />Just mumbling here.<br /><br />Yoda

[old] bsemaiktehr

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] bsemaiktehr » February 21st, 2005, 8:46 pm

I actually heard that it doesn't matter how fast or slow you complete the drive of an exercise - but that you are supposed to do the recovery part slowly.<br /><br />i.e. Throw up the bar on a bench press, but then ease it back down nice and easy for the next rep. (Similar to rowing at a very low rating) This also helps you build control.

[old] malor

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] malor » February 22nd, 2005, 12:10 pm

Peak Performance has an interesting article questioning the claims of <a href='http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/super-s ... ining.html' target='_blank'>super slow weight training</a>. <br /><br />It something to think about, but in the end it comes down to what works the best for the individual.<br />

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 22nd, 2005, 1:35 pm

Malor and bsemaiktehr,<br /><br />You are right, it is what works for each person. But if a person is doing a given protocol based on what they been taught or told and doesn't have knowlege of another protocol that is different and possibly better shouldn't that information be passed on? The reason I posted the site www.howtobefit was because there was some information there about Kayking. The person had been doing SS for 6 months and confirmed what I've been saying on other threads. There are some questions as to whether or not SS has an advantage over traditional training. <br /><br />I believe, because I have witnessed, SS carrys over into specific sports much better than traditional protocols. Yes, traditional training will make you stronger and it will make you bigger, if that is your goal, but will it tranfer over to a specific sport as well as SS? <br /><br />There have been many comparisons made by universitys and testing labs regarding SS and traditional methods of training. But in each one, when the final testing of results are completed none have taken the next and most important step. That being how well it tranfers over to the specific sport. <br /><br />I sent an email to Stephan Seiler asking his opinion about SS. I believe that was over a week ago. I still have not heard back from him. I was hoping that there were some studies done that I hadn't read regarding that "last step". Maybe he's looking into it. I don't know, but if I do hear from him I will pass his response on to this forum.<br /><br />No Yelling, just mumbles<br />Yoda

[old] starboardrigged1seat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] starboardrigged1seat » February 22nd, 2005, 2:24 pm

I'm a college-level lightweight that would like to lift weights this summer, but not put on too much muscle mass, and don't have the time/desire to lift 3 to 4 times per week. Will doing SS training be an advantage to me? How would I fit it in with rowing 4 to 6 days a week, cycling (both road and bike) 2 to 3 days a week, and a high-stress summer job (ocean life-guarding...surfing, swimming, running rescues and workouts for 8 to 10 hours in the sun)?

[old] Jim Barry

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Jim Barry » February 22nd, 2005, 3:27 pm

SR1S,<br /><br />This may not be related to SS, but more to strength gains when you do not have much time. In mid January I could do 9 pull ups (struggling and kicking on the ninth). That seems to be my natural strength. Every other day I went out into my garage where I have a pull-up bar hanging from the rafters and did out one set to max (you can do it in your spare time since you do not really sweat). In a 3 weeks I was up to 15 (total time about spent training about 25 minutes). At that point I felt that I should add some weight. I put a fannypack on with a 15lb barbell in it. This reduced the max to about 7. I'm now at 10 weighted and 17 unweighted (time for more weight). Sometimes I'll go really slow since it does appear that time at tension does matter (perhaps more than the rep count). Just to impress myself I can rip off 10 and shake the rafters now. Clearly lots of gains in two muscles that matter for rowing (the lats and biceps and I'd suggest the core stablizers too). As one might expect though this has not moved my erg paces that much, but I do think my workouts feel better and that has to count when sometimes you stop because you are feeling "worn". <br /><br /><br />Yoda, How would you apply SS to a pull up regime?

[old] akit110

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] akit110 » February 22nd, 2005, 4:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Barry+Feb 22 2005, 03:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jim Barry @ Feb 22 2005, 03:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->SR1S,<br /><br />This may not be related to SS, but more to strength gains when you do not have much time.  In mid January I could do  9 pull ups (struggling and kicking on the  ninth). That seems to be my natural strength. Every other day I went out into my garage where I have a pull-up bar hanging from the rafters and did out one set to max (you can do it in your spare time since you do not really sweat).  In a 3 weeks I was up to 15 (total time about spent training about 25 minutes). At that point I felt that I should add some weight. I put a fannypack on with a 15lb barbell in it. This reduced the max to about 7.  I'm now at 10 weighted and 17 unweighted (time for more weight). Sometimes I'll go really slow since it does appear that time at tension does matter (perhaps more than the rep count). Just to impress myself I can rip off 10 and shake the rafters now. Clearly lots of gains in two muscles that matter for rowing (the lats and biceps and I'd suggest the core stablizers too). As one might expect though this has not moved my erg paces that much, but I do think my workouts feel better and that has to count when sometimes you stop because you are feeling "worn". <br /><br /><br />Yoda, How would you apply SS to a pull up regime? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Jim,<br />It sounds like you were doing "greasing the groove" training:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm</a><br /><br />

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 22nd, 2005, 5:35 pm

starboardrigged1seat, (wow, what a handle)<br /><br />You've got quite a schedule. Jeez, when do you sleep? As I'm sure you know, recovery is the most important part of training. If you came to me as a client I would suggest that you workout once a week with only 3 exercises. Seated Rowing, Leg Press, and Deadlift. All would be done to failure within 6-8 reps at a 15 to 20 second per rep speed. One set only. Your activity level is so high, I can't see a place for you to fit even this abreviated workout.<br /><br />Jim,<br /><br />This is just my opinion so please don't get upset with what I'm going to say. I believe that pullups and chinups have there place in training. But I don't believe that they are the best exercise to raise your performance in rowing. Consider your body position on the rower and then consider your body position when doing a pullup. I think seated row matches up with rowing much better, but if you can't do seated row, for whatever reason, then pullups are good. If you were going to use SS with pullups, then it's just a matter of slowing your reps down to the speed you're looking for. I know of people that perform one minute reps. I know of people that use a 10 second rep speed. I prefer a 20 second rep speed because everyone that I've worked with to raise their performance in a given sport seems to be able to tranfer the resistance training over to the sport better than other rep speeds. Don't ask me why cause I don't know. It just works. Frequency of the workout should definetly not be more than twice a week to begin with and after a couple of weeks, the frequency should be dropped to once a week. <br /><br />If you decide to give SS a go I would suggest taking a week off from all pullups before begining. That will give you a fair chance at recovering from the previous workouts. <br /><br />Good Luck to both of you guys.<br /><br />Still mumbling,<br />Yoda<br /><br />

[old] pduck

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] pduck » February 22nd, 2005, 6:03 pm

I think the aspect of SS that bothers me most came from the study that showed that it did not raise the metabolic rate. As an aging, 52 year old former runner who has to watch his belly because he eats too much pizza, I need exercises that will provide for some "afterburn." That said, I still do SS every once in a while, just to mix things up.<br /><br />Regarding which weight lifting exercises to do, I feel that bench press is one of the most important to an ergers overall health because that works muscles that are NOT worked during erging. I suppose it doesn't help get a faster 2K time, but it is a nice compliment.<br /><br />WHENEVER I RESPOND TO ONE OF YODA'S POSTS, I FEEL LIKE YELLING!

[old] Yoda1

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Yoda1 » February 22nd, 2005, 8:44 pm

pduck,<br /><br />May the force be with you!!!!!!!!! Try mumbling.<br /><br />Yoda<br /><br />Ps: Bench press is good and it will help to balance out the OLD bod.<br />

[old] starboardrigged1seat

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] starboardrigged1seat » February 22nd, 2005, 9:14 pm

Yoda -- I've found that as long as I take at least one day a week completely off, get 8 to 10 hours of sleep, and get enough calories (sometimes resorting to eating entire boxes of Lucky Charms cereal in one sitting), I'm in good enough shape from the collegiate season to keep up that activity level. I get kind of burnt out around mid-July, but am in awesome shape around August. Thanks for your recommendation, I'll give it a go as soon as my racing season is over and I take the customary 1 to 2 weeks off.