Duck Name

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Duck Name

Post by MomofJBN » March 24th, 2006, 4:05 pm

In another post, Emilia mentioned still needing a duck name. I do too. Let's do some brainstorming on this thread.

I live in AZ at 7,000' elevation, so I've been thinking about Duck out of Water or High Altitude Duck. Anyone like either of those or have any other suggetions?

As for the erg, I need to get back on after a short spring break trip to Tucson. The scale was not kind this morning.

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Wood_Duck
1k Poster

Duck list

Post by Wood_Duck » March 25th, 2006, 10:47 am

Here is a great website with all kinds of birds.

It shows habitats etc.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/A ... BirdGuide/
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
1st row 11/23/04; 1 MM 3/20/06; 2 MM 6/9/07; 3 MM 5/15/08; 1st 2k: 1/28/07 (9:04.2); 1st MARATHON! 4/19/06 (4:42:42.9)

Rhody
Paddler

Post by Rhody » March 26th, 2006, 12:01 pm

I don't have a duck name, I use my dog's name, Rhody. She is a black lab. We spend a lot of time boating on the river and she loves to swim and chase ducks. I thought that would be a good name because she can motivate all of us to go farther and faster! If anyone is offended, I can certainly change the name...........

Martha

woolsmith
Paddler

Post by woolsmith » March 26th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Hey Martha!

I think "Rhody" is a fine name, because if nothing else, Rhody "acts" like a duck. :D Your name is probably closer to the mark than mine.

I use "woolsmith" because that's what I use on other forums/sites. Makes my life less complicated that way. I used to sell spinning wheels and related supplies, and in addition to spinning, I'm still into machine and hand knitting and all the fiber-y stuff like that. So I'll just have to be a wooly duck instead of a feathery one. :D I still plan to make a knitted/felted stuffed duck toy, and I'll post a pic whenever I get that accomplished.

I think some folks want to go with an avian name or some variation, just to keep in line with the theme of the team name. I'll just be ewe-nique. :lol:

--Jen in WI

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » March 26th, 2006, 5:57 pm

woolsmith wrote:I still plan to make a knitted/felted stuffed duck toy, and I'll post a pic whenever I get that accomplished.
That could make a cute avatar pic. :)

I picked MomofJBN because, like Jen, it's the moniker I use on other sites. I'm just trying to come up with a good duck "tagline" to go along with it. Still thinking. Keep those ideas coming. :)

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 26th, 2006, 6:03 pm

I used to sell spinning wheels and related supplies, and in addition to spinning, I'm still into machine and hand knitting and all the fiber-y stuff like that.
Nice. I'm a knitter and spinner. Good that it isn't incompatible with jockdom. Although my living room will look quite odd with a spinning wheel and an erg ...
First row 3/13/06

swoz
Paddler

Post by swoz » March 26th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Is the duck name “Quack” already taken? I haven’t joined a team yet, but might want to reserve it. I work as a Nurse Practitioner. There seems to be someone with a Y chromosome in the Women’s Forum who kindly referred to those in the medical establishment as medical “quacks”. The name might be a good fit for me.
:lol: -Swoz

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 26th, 2006, 8:38 pm

*snicker*
First row 3/13/06

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » March 26th, 2006, 8:41 pm

ROFL, Swoz. :lol:
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

Rhody
Paddler

Post by Rhody » March 27th, 2006, 8:47 am

swoz wrote:Is the duck name “Quack” already taken? I haven’t joined a team yet, but might want to reserve it. I work as a Nurse Practitioner. There seems to be someone with a Y chromosome in the Women’s Forum who kindly referred to those in the medical establishment as medical “quacks”. The name might be a good fit for me.
:lol: -Swoz
Hi Swoz!
We would love to have you join the Ducks! I am also in the medical community, an RN Director of a retirement community. I always find it interesting that my seniors always come to me for advice rather than their docs.......That speaks highly of the nursing profession? What is your specialty?
Martha

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 27th, 2006, 8:48 am

I hope I'm welcome too cause I just snuck in. I need all the support I can get. :wink:
First row 3/13/06

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » March 27th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Absolutely, Sasha. Come join the club. :)
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

swoz
Paddler

Post by swoz » March 28th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Rhody wrote:
Hi Swoz!
We would love to have you join the Ducks! I am also in the medical community, an RN Director of a retirement community. I always find it interesting that my seniors always come to me for advice rather than their docs.......That speaks highly of the nursing profession? What is your specialty?
Martha
Thanks for the invitation Martha, I really like the concept behind the DIAR team and would like to join. Although I’ve rowed competitively in the past, that’s not at all what I’m looking for at this point in my life. I really like the environment of women at all different levels supporting each other without the need for competition. The only thing holding me back from joining at this point is the fact that I’m still shopping for my erg (which is how I found this website.) Hopefully I’ll purchase one soon and can start contributing meters! As far as nursing, I’m actually a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (talk about a Quack, right!?) I specialize in Adult and Geriatric patients…great that you’re directing a Retirement Community, definitely a growing need for providers with our aging population!

Rhody
Paddler

Post by Rhody » March 29th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Hey Swoz, I don't think you're a "quack" at all! I have the utmost respect for Psych Nurse Practitioners. We have a 20-bed dementia unit in my building, and utilize psych services frequently both for the folks in the dementia unit as well as at other levels of care with dementia and depression. Maybe I will be asking you for advice sometime........... :D Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you located in?
If you are looking for an erg, C2s are the greatest. Actually one of the residents in my building recently bought a rowing machine to donate to the exercise room. At first glance it looks like a C2 but it is not. I tried it out once to compare, and it just wasn't the same. The C2 website is also a huge plus. I have only recently begun posting, but have been reading the forum for a long time and found it very helpful for motivation and questions. Good luck to you!
Martha

Sasha
500m Poster

Post by Sasha » March 31st, 2006, 7:07 pm

I believe a duck name has found me. How do I know if it is taken? Is there a canonical list or a remember? :wink:
First row 3/13/06