TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
Quatroux
6k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by Quatroux » December 28th, 2012, 10:23 am

TMike wrote: Row at least 1K in 32 degree weather to be in the coveted Polar Bear Club, 15 degrees to break the club record.
I like the sound of this, but don't know if I can pull it off. I might have to do it on a waterrower, but getting even that outside would be a chore.
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

bcurry
500m Poster

Post by bcurry » December 28th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Thanks for sending out the email about the VTC Izz. I signed up. Can you put me down for a goal of 100K?

Happy New Year all!
<<Brent>>

_Acorn_
Paddler

Post by _Acorn_ » December 28th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Ok, time to get back on the erg after the Holiday Challenge. I'm so impressed with everyone's efforts - I can't believe how many meters some of y'all cover! Awesome!
For the VTC I'm going to go for a dual goal of covering 150k and rowing at least 5k on at least 20 of 31 days.
I don't know if the Polar Bear Club is for me though - you guys are tough! I've become wimpy about the cold after living in the maritime Pacific NW for so many years.
-Amanda

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » December 28th, 2012, 5:21 pm

There is no Polar Club in SW FL.No cold weather to row in..only sun and warm beach and ocean breezes.Lots of A/C and indoor sweat.

Pat
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » December 28th, 2012, 5:28 pm

As I reported last week, I finally wimped out on using a seat cushion - and that after starting to use gloves once I switched to the Model D handle. *sigh*
I can't give you a review on it yet because it hasn't arrived, but I bought it for $25 from fellow C2er Eric Gray (dude does a HM a day on his C2!) at this web address:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0720732799

I hope this helps you not have to turn the other cheek!
P.S. Make sure to put the pressure on him to join Team TimbukTOO!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » December 28th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Sorry for the severe time restraint...
All hands on deck, resolved to have a fitter year! 12 of 61 members (20%) logged 110,356 total meters Thursday!

Milestones achieved: Andy bonked 1.8M, John zonked 1.1M!!
Approaching milestones: David a few pulls from 5.1M (-886m), Kevin cruising towards 900K (-8,104m) while Mark S wheels towards 100K (-3,833m)!

Posted Meters:
David W - 21,200 Back on top...
John S - 21,097 HM!
Jim C - 12,000 Balancing the longer row out...
Kyle J - 10,000 Timed?

Andy I - 9,886 Remember the tale of "The Man Who Cried Wolverine!"
Adam M - 8,000 Unstoppable!
Mark S - 7,070 Longer row!
Cindy R - 6,890 Great times, BTW...

Mark E - 5,078 Nice!
Kevin K - 4,295 Busy? Speed work? Not pain-free?
Warren F - 4,228 Solid!
Ted P - 612 Consistent!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » December 28th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Quatroux wrote:
TMike wrote: Row at least 1K in 32 degree weather to be in the coveted Polar Bear Club, 15 degrees to break the club record.
I like the sound of this, but don't know if I can pull it off. I might have to do it on a waterrower, but getting even that outside would be a chore.
I'd like to be in the polar bear club too, but I think I'll just do that by being a grizzly painted white...

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » December 28th, 2012, 9:23 pm

JonathanRyan wrote: I'm pretty sure it was about -2 (28 degrees for you chaps in the colonies) in the rowing shed the other day. Stupidly I didn't save any proof.

I'll just have to wait for some cold weather - especially now I have some under armour cold gear to wear. Unfortunately we have coldish and very wet ATM.
Don't worry, Mike doesn't have any proof either. He has basically just photo-shopped his erg on a truck in a few locations, trying to convince us he's rowing as he trucks around the country. Certainly no proof of climatological conditions... :P Like this little location he claims to have rowed in October... Yeah, sure... ;) :lol: (Just teasing you, Mike!)

You have a rowing shed? Do tell!! Do you have to share with any creatures or critters?
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » December 29th, 2012, 1:02 pm

All hands on deck! An elite and elated 11 of 61 members (18%) logged 126,334 total meters Friday!

Milestones achieved:
Jamie hit 600K!! Woot!

Approaching milestones:
Jim is careening towards 2.9M (-48,000m), Yisroel is eyeing 1.6M (-45,243m), Mark is in sight of 1.1M (-49,522m), Kevin is very close to 900K (-4,091m), and Amanda is closing on 150K (-18,641m). Row for the glory!

Posted Meters:
Aditya P - 21,097 Excellent!
Andy I - 19,044 Ouch!

Kyle J - 17,018 Whew!
Yisroel H - 14,000 Sweet!
Jim C - 12,000 Deflation?
Heather R - 11,000 Will row for sweets! :)
Amanda G - 9,338 Keep 'em coming!
Jamie B - 8,812 Carries him over the 600k line!
Mark E - 5,012 Training hard for the Blackburn!
Warren F - 5,000 Nice!
Kevin K - 4,013 Steady on!!

-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » December 29th, 2012, 1:22 pm

PJM wrote:There is no Polar Club in SW FL.No cold weather to row in..only sun and warm beach and ocean breezes.Lots of A/C and indoor sweat.

Pat

I guess someone has to suffer with near perfect weather. I prefer Texas where we get so many extremes that we begin to really appreciate the solid week of fall and spring we get between 5+ month periods of scorching heat or frozen rain (sometimes called hail, sometimes called snow).
-Andy

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » December 29th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Izzzmeister wrote:Andy I - 9,886 Remember the tale of "The Man Who Cried Wolverine!"
I believe tha very thirsty man cried, "Bring me a Wolverine Dark Lager!!!!"
He later read this:
http://community.active.com/blogs/SEALSWCC.com_Training_Blog/2008/06/04/effects-of-alcohol-on-performance wrote:
Here are some of the effects of acute alcohol consumption on physical performance and adaptations to training:

Decreased aerobic capacity (reduces the body's ability to utilize oxygen to liberate energy during muscular contraction)

Decreased lactate threshold (more lactate accumulates in the muscles for a given amount of work, a condition associated with quicker fatigue)

Increased dehydration (if normal fluid intake is not increased to compensate for the diuretic effects of alcohol)

Reduced glycogen content in muscles (glycogen is the storage form of carbohydrate and is the primary fuel used by muscles; lack of glycogen is the primary cause of fatigue during physical evolutions that require stamina or endurance)

Decreased protein synthesis/increased protein catabolism by muscles (resulting in failure to add muscle mass or even loss of muscle mass)

Decreased ability to regulate body heat (resulting in a greater heat load for a given amount of work performed)

Interrupted sleep patterns (less rest and recovery)

Suppressed immune system (increasing susceptibility to bacteria and infectious diseases)

Increased Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) for a given workload (meaning a pace that would ordinarily be comfortable will feel harder, and a pace that would ordinarily be difficult may become intolerable)
He drank the Wolverine Dark Larger anyway, but lost his next race by a boat length*.
Why do we still say 'boat length' in indoor racing?

That story is a classic!!!
-Andy

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » December 29th, 2012, 6:32 pm

damselfly wrote:
I'm too busy eating leftover Christmas goodies to row! :x

Actually, missing the row on Christmas day threw my schedule off, so I am just putzing about until Monday to get back on track.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » December 30th, 2012, 1:39 am

CONLEJM wrote:
damselfly wrote:
I'm too busy eating leftover Christmas goodies to row! :x

Actually, missing the row on Christmas day threw my schedule off, so I am just putzing about until Monday to get back on track.
I foisted off the last of our crap on my husband to take to his marathon DnD weekend get-together. Let the warriors stuff their gobs while fighting off the ice zombies or vampire trolls or evil wizards or whatever!!! Better them eating it than me experiencing hit points to my hips!!
-- Lisa

JonathanRyan
Paddler

Post by JonathanRyan » December 30th, 2012, 8:59 am

damselfly wrote:
JonathanRyan wrote: You have a rowing shed? Do tell!! Do you have to share with any creatures or critters?
Well, kind of....

I'm a photographer. So I built a "gallery" in my garden. It's about 30 feet by 10, made of wood and, um, unheated.

When people come over to look at pictures and stuff I have a nice big LCD screen and some comfy sofas.

By TOTAL COINCIDENCE the main room is just big enough to also take a Model E right in front of the TV which streams Netflix to the surround sound ;) If it was heated it would be pretty nice.

Which reminds me, I should probably take a picture of it. I'm sure I have a camera somewhere.....

Kyle J
500m Poster

Post by Kyle J » December 30th, 2012, 11:46 am

TMike wrote:
And I was hoping that maybe now i might have someone with a bit of courage willing to attempt breaking the Timbuktoo Polar Bear Club rowing record of 16 degrees F :shock: . If so, I say "bring it on, lets see what you've got!" --- Row at least 1K in 32 degree weather to be in the coveted Polar Bear Club, 15 degrees to break the club record.

So far I'm the only member...whose gonna be next??? :D :lol: :D

So I hauled the erg outside this AM and rowed one of my better 10K's in 17 degrees. Noticed the PM4 was getting dimmer and dimmer but my glasses were also getting fogged up. I switched to the mega large print to watch my progress, I was clipping along about 1:55-1:58/500m. When I tried to upload the workout it wasn't there, "like it never even happened". It sure felt like me in the snow bank rowing, oh well the fitness benefits are mine to keep! Happy New Year!
Attachments
007.JPG
007.JPG (45.28 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
I'm from Vermont...I'll do what I want