LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Restless
1k Poster

Re: Seriously disappointed

Post by Restless » November 19th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Kona2 wrote:Ok - enough. This is like watching an implosion. We are better than that. We are not lemmings. I am not going to spend the time just posting for myself. Good rowing to all.

My apologies, have been fighting with a cold the last few days. Hoping to be back with things for the start of the Holiday Challenge.

Would like to send out a huge congrats to the milestones I've missed, as well as a congrats to Dan W. for the million meters :)

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Kona2 » November 19th, 2012, 11:27 pm

No offense meant to anyone. The O D Challenge team is very loyal to each other and to Jim. Jim could probably explain this better yet is having some Internet issues. Jim is hanging in there with us even though he can't row much right now for health reasons. Jim has been a professional ball player for the Cubs, a triathlete, and a great one to offer stories of inspiration to others - even as he has his own inspirational stories to tell. I am guessing that OD teammates are disappointed, and have gone off the grid. For the last two to three years we have been a team together, sometimes rowing as different challenge teams, but supportive of each other. We will continue to be supportive and wish all our former teammates good rowing.

I think it is important to share this because of the confusion it is creating. When lots of people leave, it REALLY does affect all of us. We want to understand the why. I am of the belief that if people matter, you share the why. Each person on this team matters - and contributes in their own way. When a teammate can't row for awhile, we understand that. It doesn't make that person less of a teammate - especially when they cheer on teammates regardless. There are so many bad things that happen to good people. This is a positive, encouraging team. Let's get back to celebrations and woohoos! The holiday challenge is almost here - and we are going to have some fun with it! I hear that we're adding a reindeer named Fluff this year....

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » November 20th, 2012, 7:20 am

:lol:
Kona2 wrote:Ok - enough. This is like watching an implosion. We are better than that. We are not lemmings. I am not going to spend the time just posting for myself. Good rowing to all.
I would post more but I have to look up 1/2 the words you write in the dictionary. Hope I got this one right

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » November 20th, 2012, 9:02 am

Kona2 wrote:No offense meant to anyone. The O D Challenge team is very loyal to each other and to Jim. Jim could probably explain this better yet is having some Internet issues. Jim is hanging in there with us even though he can't row much right now for health reasons. ... I am guessing that OD teammates are disappointed, and have gone off the grid. For the last two to three years we have been a team together, sometimes rowing as different challenge teams, but supportive of each other. ... I think it is important to share this because of the confusion it is creating. When lots of people leave, it REALLY does affect all of us. We want to understand the why. ...
Oh, my; what am I missing!?? Here I am, in Rome, consuming way too many calories and promising myself a half marathon every day when I get home, to compensate. Sounds like some challenges for our Astrogator, which is too bad, considering all the personal time she spends to keep us motivated and challenged. Maybe that's why some teams are closed, or by invitation only -- too much extra effort when there are lots of comings and goings. Come on people; find a team you like, and stick with it. Sure, it's only a game, but loyalty is a fine character trait. That said, I'm going out to find my evening's gelato fix. Or, maybe Chianti.

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » November 20th, 2012, 9:54 am

I hope this post doesn't get too long. I am a fairly recent addition to the team. I don't know all of the history. One of the things that really attracted me to this team was all of the "Overcoming Disabilities" members. I found myself inspired by them. And watching a lot of them leave now helps me to see a little more clearly why I was looking for that inspiration. I've had glaucoma since I was 30. I'm 58 now. At the time I was diagnosed, I already had a substantial amount of visual field loss in my right eye. My left eye, while affected, still seemed in pretty good shape. At that time, I started to prepare myself for the idea that I might go blind by the time I was older, and would I want to carry on after that. At 30, it seemed I didn't have to worry about this too much right away. And doctors have been great, and I was beginning to think that maybe none of my fears would be realized. Last year, I had a setback because I had a detached retina in my left eye (my good eye). The surgery was successful - my retina is back in place. But my central vision in my left eye is off. I seem to have some distortion in my left eye in the center - which apparently is due to some little "wrinkles" that formed in the retina even though it is back in place. The distortion is enough to interfere with my ability to do my job. But the brain is an amazing thing, and quite effectively combines the central vision I still have from my right eye (bad eye) with the visual field from my left eye. It's not seamless. I am aware of what's going on. And it's only natural for all the old fears to come back now. Before the detached retina, I started to feel comfortable that I would keep vision in my left eye, and my right eye would just do what it could as long as it could, and give me some binocular vision. But now, I'm in the position of actually depending upon my right eye for my central vision. And I don't think my right eye is really dependable.

Anyway, that's some of my story. I know it's not the same as dealing with and actually "overcoming" a disability. At least not yet. But I did find myself encouraged and inspired by the members of the Overcoming Disabilities portion of the LUNA-TICS. And now I see that I was really looking for that - as a way of preparing myself for whatever happens next. So, for me, I have to say I got something from seeing you out there. And I miss seeing you.
Whatever will be will be. It would be nice to understand, but it's fine if I don't too. Life goes on. And I plan to row on - but I think I'll take a break today.

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » November 20th, 2012, 11:45 am

I want to know what that rat stuck in door meant

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » November 20th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Drivetofast wrote:I want to know what that rat stuck in door meant
Hahaha. Well, it could have several meanings I suppose. Sabino Canyon maintenance and design folks have pretty good sense of humor I think. The back half of that mouse was supposedly stuck in line at the ticket counter for the Tram up into the Canyon. Similarly, there was a boulder with a faucet on the outside of it where you could fill your water bottle. Looked like a real boulder, but probably was a fabricated one (forgot to take a picture of it). Sabino Canyon is like a little oasis out in the desert, filled with cactus of all kinds, but mostly remembered for the acres and acres of saguaro cactus. It's been the setting for many western movies - as has Arizona in general.

Image the "jumping" cholla cactus ... brush against this cactus, and you'll be wearing it...dogs with wagging tails beware...

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » November 20th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I have worn that many a time when I did Desert races

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.19.12

Post by Kona2 » November 20th, 2012, 1:31 pm

The Holiday Challenge starts in just a couple more days....get ready to rock and row !

Teammate Tony asked me how many meters a day that we'd have to row to get to the 200K milestone by end of Challenge. I answered that if everyone rowed 30 days out of the 33, that 6700 or so a day should take care of it. He told me to try again. I should have known he was asking me a trick number question! 200,000 meters divided by 33 days = 6060.606 m a day. Clever number trick!

Season meters as of 202/365 = 69,270,816 m

Total meters on the day = 411,552 m

Oars in space (participation) = 31 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

3.8 MM Jay
3.75 MM bg
1.15 MM Jeff P
1.1 MM Tim K
1.05 MM Paul S
850 K Tim G
450 K Jessica
450 K Tom M
400 K Tim P

Thanks, everyone, for rowing with us...and thanks to Dan W for sharing his story. You never know when your story is going to help someone else!

Adian 403 m
Jeff M 1,017 m
Mike M 2,000 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m
Roger 2,500 m
Tammy 2,500 m
Tim G 2,500 m
Jay R 3,022 m
Steven D 4,003 m
Rachel 4,652 m
Chip 5,000 m
Matt For. 5,000 m
Debbie V 6,101 m
Marty 6,500 m
Stephen W 7,000 m
David T 8,000 m
Bernie 8,019 m
Baz 10,000 m
Brian 10,000 m
jeff P 10,000 m
Ross 10,023 m
Dan W 10,732 m
Mike C 10,804 m
Tom M 11,694 m
Paul S 13,157 m
Jane 13,253 m
Dennis 13,500 m
David A 14,472 m
Tim P 14,513 m
Adam 15,000 m
Richard T 18,521 m
Danno ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Tim K 20,000 m
Image bg 27,252 m
Image Ron 28,957 m
Image Jay 29,000 m
Jessica 41,347 m great update!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » November 20th, 2012, 1:36 pm

BAZzy wrote:Good morning Luna-tucs from the Harbour City...bit overcast and damp here!!

Did my first sb 40 minute 10,000 metre in a while this morning...happy with that! Good weekend to all..! B)
Almost missed this one....sub 40 minute 10K.....wowzer!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » November 20th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Kona2 wrote:
BAZzy wrote:Good morning Luna-tucs from the Harbour City...bit overcast and damp here!!

Did my first sb 40 minute 10,000 metre in a while this morning...happy with that! Good weekend to all..! B)
Almost missed this one....sub 40 minute 10K.....wowzer!
Knocked out another couple since. Increasing the pace to get the fitness up ahead of climbing Mt Aspiring in New Zealand this January...takes time to build back to quicker times, but have my eye set on beating my 37:50 this season...!

Good luck to all the Luna-tics out there! BBB B)
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » November 20th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Kona2 wrote:No offense meant to anyone. The O D Challenge team is very loyal to each other and to Jim. Jim could probably explain this better yet is having some Internet issues. Jim is hanging in there with us even though he can't row much right now for health reasons. Jim has been a professional ball player for the Cubs, a triathlete, and a great one to offer stories of inspiration to others - even as he has his own inspirational stories to tell. I am guessing that OD teammates are disappointed, and have gone off the grid. For the last two to three years we have been a team together, sometimes rowing as different challenge teams, but supportive of each other. We will continue to be supportive and wish all our former teammates good rowing.

I think it is important to share this because of the confusion it is creating. When lots of people leave, it REALLY does affect all of us. We want to understand the why. I am of the belief that if people matter, you share the why. Each person on this team matters - and contributes in their own way. When a teammate can't row for awhile, we understand that. It doesn't make that person less of a teammate - especially when they cheer on teammates regardless. There are so many bad things that happen to good people. This is a positive, encouraging team. Let's get back to celebrations and woohoos! The holiday challenge is almost here - and we are going to have some fun with it! I hear that we're adding a reindeer named Fluff this year....
Absolutely...

II joined the team a few years back and it is a great bunch, very supportive of each other's goals, no matter what they are.

And a big call-out to K2, always here, cheering, participating, encouraging...

The Luna-tics, and the broader C2 rowing community is the best bunch of people I've ever hung out with, and yet, I've only ever met one of you, David, who lives in Sydney!

And to all our North American friends, I suspect those turkeys' are being prepared as I write - enjoy!

Cheers, BBB
:)
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » November 20th, 2012, 5:18 pm

BAZzy wrote:
Knocked out another couple since. Increasing the pace to get the fitness up ahead of climbing Mt Aspiring in New Zealand this January...takes time to build back to quicker times, but have my eye set on beating my 37:50 this season...! BBB B)
Wow - I think that would put you in the top 15 percent of all the crazy guys who go after that 10K ranking! And in the top 5 percent or so of your age group! Worthy goal ...ok all goals worthy, so this is an ESPECIALLY worthy goal.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » November 20th, 2012, 5:30 pm

just27 wrote:
Kona2 wrote:No offense meant to anyone. The O D Challenge team is very loyal to each other and to Jim. Jim could probably explain this better yet is having some Internet issues. Jim is hanging in there with us even though he can't row much right now for health reasons. ... I am guessing that OD teammates are disappointed, and have gone off the grid. For the last two to three years we have been a team together, sometimes rowing as different challenge teams, but supportive of each other. ... I think it is important to share this because of the confusion it is creating. When lots of people leave, it REALLY does affect all of us. We want to understand the why. ...
Oh, my; what am I missing!?? Here I am, in Rome, consuming way too many calories and promising myself a half marathon every day when I get home, to compensate. Sounds like some challenges for our Astrogator, which is too bad, considering all the personal time she spends to keep us motivated and challenged. Maybe that's why some teams are closed, or by invitation only -- too much extra effort when there are lots of comings and goings. Come on people; find a team you like, and stick with it. Sure, it's only a game, but loyalty is a fine character trait. That said, I'm going out to find my evening's gelato fix. Or, maybe Chianti.
i'm here but i missed it too...enjoy rome....and yay bazz....

psu80
Paddler

Post by psu80 » November 20th, 2012, 11:13 pm

I have only been a year around member since the FRC, but I am going to throw in my two cents anyway. First of all, Kona2 please believe that you are doing an incredible job. I know that your job can be frustrating at times. I don't post very often, but I am on this forum several times a day checking out the postings. Of all the teams available to join, I was drawn to the Luna-Tics because of the support and inspiration I sensed from all the members of this team. I have set a couple of goals for myself because of some of the posts that I have read on this forum. I am grateful for this because I don't know if I would have set these goals on my own. This is a great team with wonderful members and I am very happy to be part of this team.

On a lighter note, to all the Luna-Tics in North America, have a great Thanksgiving and be safe if you are traveling.

Tim G