LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

just27
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.01.12

Post by just27 » November 2nd, 2012, 5:39 pm

Kona2 wrote: ... Baz, and others, have shared some of their adventures as well - so we are not in full deficit here. ... Never fear that your adventure is too mundane to share - there's always something in a story ... or conquer the mountain just for the feeling of being alive, something in that story that is going to give another teammate a boost when they need it ...
Nice tribute, K2.

I'm travelling to Rome and Florence with a two-year old, later this month. That will be enough adventure for me, I'm sure, for many mountains and moons to come.
:shock:

Restless
1k Poster

Re: He's A Meter Millionaire !!!

Post by Restless » November 2nd, 2012, 7:03 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Hooyah for rowing AND Crossfit (and sons who recommend these things to Dad) !! Congratulations, Ross, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season ! We wish you many, MANY more !!

Would like to add my congrats to both Ross and Tim K. on the 1 million meters!

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

Luna
Paddler

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Luna » November 3rd, 2012, 7:07 am

Congrats Richard T On a 3 million Meter rowing Season Way to row Dad :)

ronnie1
500m Poster

Post by ronnie1 » November 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am

Congrats Richard T. on a 3 million meter season!!!!!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

He's A Meter Multi-Millionaire ... again !

Post by Kona2 » November 3rd, 2012, 1:00 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah ! He's done it again ! Congratulations, Richard T, on achieving a THREE million meter rowing season (and the rowing year's only half over)! We wish you many, MANY more !

Way to row !
Last edited by Kona2 on November 3rd, 2012, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.01.12

Post by bg » November 3rd, 2012, 1:10 pm

just27 wrote:
Kona2 wrote: ... Baz, and others, have shared some of their adventures as well - so we are not in full deficit here. ... Never fear that your adventure is too mundane to share - there's always something in a story ... or conquer the mountain just for the feeling of being alive, something in that story that is going to give another teammate a boost when they need it ...
Nice tribute, K2.

I'm travelling to Rome and Florence with a two-year old, later this month. That will be enough adventure for me, I'm sure, for many mountains and moons to come.
:shock:

yes...avery nice tribute and photo....andwooo hoooo and congrats richard t...and yikes, chris....can't wait to read about your traveling adventures....

ronnie1
500m Poster

Post by ronnie1 » November 3rd, 2012, 4:22 pm

Welcome to the team Stephan , glad to have you rowing with us :D
Have a great trip Minnie, I know you will enjoy yourself.
Ronnie

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.2.12

Post by Kona2 » November 3rd, 2012, 4:55 pm

Welcome aboard to new teammate Stephen W of GBR. Here's wishing you many good rowing sessions and lots of camaraderie as part of the team !

Great to see so many teammates are closing in on some big milestones (Cathie is getting close to 3 million, Jim and David A are both close to 2 million, and Zander, Harold and AJ are closing in on 1 million)! So keep a lookout for the turning of the erg odometer....give a shout out to a teammate who has earned some bragging rights! It's good stuff !

Image Hooboy! There's a few big horse races going on this weekend....all culminating in The Breeder's Cup (and thanks to one of the horsemen on the team, Richard T, for the info). Now set for its 29th running on November 3, the Breeders’ Cup Classic, run at 1 1/4 miles, draws the top international Thoroughbreds year after year. With its $5 million purse, the Classic is the richest race in all of North America. It is open to horses 3-years-old and older and is limited to 14 starters. Six of this year’s starters will gain automatic entries into the race by qualifying through Breeders’ Cup Challenge series. This year's entries have some great horse names: Pool Play, Flat Out, Fort Larned, Alpha, Game on Dude, Brilliant Speed, Handsome Mike, Richard's Kid, Ron the Greek, Nonios, Mucho Macho Man, To Honor and Serve. There might be a couple more.

And since I'm sort of down a bunny trail of the mind already....
Image Another episode...

These quirky trips down the bunny trails of the mind are not always the result of distraction...sometimes the opportunities just present themselves. There was an article in the business section a couple of weeks ago that talked about how several small Colorado headphone manufacturers had gotten some great business boost from the Olympic athletes who wore the company's headphones during the widely televised summer Olympics. One of the profiled manufacturers is called QAK, and one of QAK's products is Thump. (I kid you not. I couldn't make this stuff up - well, not easily.) I thought anything that sounded that barnyard-ish when talking about new technology should be checked out, so I typed QAK Thump into the search bar. Somewhat to my surprise, there wasn't a single thing about headphones that popped up as a result. No, it was a book recommendation called:
Image. Seriously. I REALLY could not make this stuff up.
ImageFurther investigation revealed that the first book in the series (there’s a series?!) was one called Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type. It’s a 42 page kid’s book (and a Caldecott winner...means it has wonderful illustrations) that features Farmer Brown and his cows – cows who discover an old typewriter in the barn…and who start leaving notes for Farmer Brown. All day long the poor guy hears click, clack, moo from these literary cows. Seems that Farmer Brown has a whole barnyard full of insubordinate animals. Of course I ordered it. Great for the younger rowers (and for 82 year old Mom's who find these things hilarious, too). And that is how I often find myself on the bunny trail....

Season meters as of 185/365 = 81,450,896 m

Total meters on the day = 348,063 m

Oars in space (participation) = 25 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

3.0 MM Richard T
2.65 MM Michelle
2.05 MM Ronnie
1.5 MM Minnie ... with a fine half marathon!
1.35 MM Rosi
1.35 MM Sam
1.15 MM Rebecca
900 K AJ
350 K Mike C
300 K Jay R
250 K Greg C

Thanks, everyone, for rowing with us !

Scott 2,500 m
Bobbie 3,000 m
Nataliya 3,000 m
Sam 3,000 m
Harold 4,003
Anita 5,000 m
Cathie 3,000 m
Christa 5,000 m
Tim G 5,000 m
Jerri 5,007 m
Marty 5,500 m
K2 ImageImageImageImage m
David T 6,000 m
Peter G 7,701 m
Zander 8,000 m
Marie 8,500 m
Jim 9,000 m
Jay R 9,042 m
Mike C 10,000 m
Greg C 10,136 m
Rosi 12,500 m
AJ 13,843 m
Ronnie 14,000 m
Adam 15,000 m
Michelle 15,000 m
Peter H 15,000 m
Rebecca 15,000 m
Jane 15,081 m
Image Minnie 21,097 m
Image Jay 24,000 m
Image bg 26,210 m
Richard T 41,388 m ...almost a full marathon !

just27
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.2.12

Post by just27 » November 3rd, 2012, 6:06 pm

Kona2 wrote:Welcome aboard to new teammate Stephen W of GBR. Here's wishing you many good rowing sessions and lots of camaraderie as part of the team !
Welcome, Stephen from Cheshire. Love that cheese, especially aged.

I just ordered the typing cow book from Amazon, last night!
Chris
Everything's Shiny. Not to fret.

Restless
1k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.2.12

Post by Restless » November 3rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

Kona2 wrote:Welcome aboard to new teammate Stephen W of GBR. Here's wishing you many good rowing sessions and lots of camaraderie as part of the team !
Welcome to the team Stephen W :!:

Also a huge congrats to Richard T. for your 3 million :)

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » November 4th, 2012, 8:32 am

Congrats Zander and Richard T. for passing 1 and 3 million meter milestones!!! Keep up the great rowing.
Great book recomendation Kona, Bobbie has both in her classroom and I am going to read them.
jim

Kona2
Marathon Poster

He's A Meter Millionaire !

Post by Kona2 » November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am

ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! There is great satisfaction in rowing across the million meter milestone! Congratulations, Zander, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more !!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.3.12

Post by Kona2 » November 4th, 2012, 11:24 am

Image Sleep in ... turn your clocks back an hour....fall back as daylight savings time ends....well, somebody better tell that to the cat... :lol:

Season meters as of 186/365 = 83,135,931 m

Total meters on the day = 1,685,035 m

Oars in space (participation) = 19 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

2.85 MM Cathie
1.45 MM Marie
1.0 MM Zander

Thanks, everyone, for rowing today !

Nataliya 1,500 m
Marty 3,000 m
Rivka 3,000 m
Anita 3,500 m
Bobbie 3,500 m
Christa 3,500 m
Zander 4,000 m
Harold ImageImageImageImage m :D
Jay ImageImageImageImage m :D
Jeff P 6,718 m
Jim 9,300 m
Ronnie 10,250 m
Minnie ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Jane ImageImageImageImage Image m :D
Michelle 11,500 m
Debbie V 12,068 m
AJ 14,278 m
Marie 15,000 m
Tim G 15,000 m
Cathie 20,000 m
Sam 20,000 m
Ted 23,000 m
Ron 26,097 m ... a half marathon in there !
Stephen W 1,449,146 m

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Holiday Challenge....starts in 18/19 days...

Post by Kona2 » November 4th, 2012, 11:53 am

ImageImageImageImageImage The Holiday Challenge...get ready...22 November...

For many of us, the Holiday Challenge was the first Concept2 challenge we participated in (and surely the first time you might have rowed 200K in a month!)....and it's one that we repeat year after year. Maybe it's about the Challenge pin - maybe it's about offsetting all the holiday treats - or maybe it's about helping earn that Concept2 donation! Last year was the FIRST year that the Concept2 rowing community met the meter goal necessary to earn the $30K donation that Concept2 was offering to split between several charitable organizations. In fact, the rowing community exceeded that meter amount...and Concept2 continued to match the meters rowed. We have 33 days from start to finish this year - that's two more than last year. Can we do a repeat ?!

This year, we have several areas where we can choose to help out. From the Concept2 Challenge write up:

Support Great Causes!

Each year, Concept2 selects several non-profit organizations and donates money to these organizations based on the meters completed during the Holiday Challenge. We present the list of charities in your logbook, and you select which one you'd like your efforts to benefit. This year we decided to offer a choice of charities that support a spectrum of options, including a charity that is working directly to support the victims of Hurricane Sandy. This year's choices are:

AmeriCares (supporting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts)
Natural Resource Defense Council
Doctors Without Borders
Vermont Land Trust

For every person who completes at least 100k during the challenge, Concept2 will donate $.02 for each kilometer (1000 meters) you accumulate. Once you get beyond 100k, we'll donate $.04 per kilometer. For kids and adaptive athletes, the $.04 rate takes effect at 50k. Every bit adds up: Last year, your efforts raised over $31,000 for disaster relief organizations!

There are other incentives and rewards, too:

Incentives and Rewards

The incentives and rewards available depend on which goal you achieve. Here's how it works.

200k, 50k Kids and Adaptive
Participants who complete 200,000 meters, kids who complete 50,000 meters, and adaptive athletes who complete at least 50,000 meters are entitled to the following incentives and rewards:
A free downloadable certificate of achievement
A free downloadable heat transfer for making your own Holiday Challenge-wear
A free Holiday Challenge pin: Pins are sent automatically to the address on file in your Online Logbook. Please ensure you have entered a valid address in order to receive your pin.
Access to the Holiday Challenge shop through our third-party fulfillment vendor
100k Finishers
Participants who complete 100,000 meters are entitled to the following incentives and rewards:
A free downloadable certificate of achievement
A free downloadable heat transfer for making your own Holiday Challenge-wear
Access to the Holiday Challenge shop through our third-party fulfillment vendor

Image And....you'll have a chance to earn your reindeer...

Kona2
Marathon Poster

He's A Meter Multi-Millionaire !!

Post by Kona2 » November 5th, 2012, 10:29 am

ImageImageImageImage

Hooyah and woohoo! Teammate Jim has been pulling the erg chain more than a few meters here and there - in addition to bringing us some inspirational stories and articles on overcoming disabilities and adversity. He is walking the talk ! Congratulations, Jim, on achieving a TWO million meter rowing season...again ! We wish you many, MANY more !!